• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing help please!!!

madisonjinx

Young Bun
Hi all,

Hoping for some help please, I have only ever had free range house bunnies (started about 20 years ago when it was very unusual!) and currently have my lovely couple.

A family member is possibly looking to rehome her bunnies due to her having a new baby and I'm thinking about giving them a home. So I'm thinking of the basics is that they definitely need vaccination but then I'm wondering where to keep them. I'm not sure I want to go through the process of bonding two established pairs but after quarantine period I haven't ruled it out.

They are currently housed in a 5 foot hutch with occasional access to small run. I've never had outdoor rabbits and we have a regular fox visitor to our back garden so I would never forgive myself if any harm came to them. So I have the following options...money is an issue as hubby really won't let me have them if I start spending a fortune. Also I really don't like the idea of sheds because mine is overrun with spiders and not the most secure so would take me having to overcome severe spider phobia and then using my none existent DIY skills!

Option 1 So initially I was thinking something along the lines of the below then as time goes by I can look to extend with runaround etc

http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/product/6ft rabbit hutch with 4ft under run

However I don't like the idea of our fox visitor going anywhere near it, fox is not scared of us or security light!

Option 2 Keep them in the current hutch they are in and put it in my utility room (my buns aren't allowed in there) and then buy a run like the below which I can put them in during the day whilst I am at work. They are only small rabbits btw.

http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/8ft_x_65ft_run_2ft_high/p1466125_10275402.aspx

So not the most ideal but better then what they have now.

Then I start to feel a little guilty as mine rarely go in the garden, they can only have supervised play time in the little penned off area with puppy panel pens (thats like a circle that has about a diameter of 6 feet). So then start to think I should get them a secure run too? I can already hear my bank balance starting to groan under the strain lol

I just want to provide a wonderful home for as many rabbits as possible!

For the price of the first option, you could buy an aviary (ie secure run) and place the existing hutch inside it. Depending on your garden you could go larger/cheaper by using house walls as the back or side of the aviary.

I wouldn't rule out sheds completely, if you've got one that's not full, spending some of your budget on having someone kit it out might be a good option. With insulation, secure doors/windows and the disturbance of bunnies you don't get the same spider issues you get in a normal shed.

I think though, I'd maybe go for option 2, and then see if you can bond. No point spending cash on outdoor accommodation if it does work out. If it doesn't you could aim for popping them back out in spring. Could they just hop around the utility rather than putting them in a run outside?

Ive never really liked the hutches over runs (if a bunny is scared instict tells then to "go to ground", if they go down when they are in a hutch run combo, then they are really exposed).

Also if you have 5ft hutch inside, then they cant really go outside to the run in the day during winter (temp change is too much of a shock).

Can i suggest an option 3 - the welfare hutches run you linked, with a runaround pipe to the hutch they currently have, with a view to improving it to one of these at a later date:http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/6ft_Single_Hutch/p1466125_10873389.aspx

I have a welfare hutches double hutch and run connected with a runaround pipe. Im really pleased with it. Welfare hutches are really good quality, very strong and sturdy and customer service is brilliant.

For the price of the first option, you could buy an aviary (ie secure run) and place the existing hutch inside it. Depending on your garden you could go larger/cheaper by using house walls as the back or side of the aviary.

I love this idea, does anyone have recommendations for good places to get aviaries from?

You might find it works out cheapest going for a company near you because of delivery charges - where about are you?

You can also buy aviaries as panels which you then screw together in the configuration you want :)

I don't like spiders either :D

I opted for a playhouse so i can go inside and sit with the buns. It was £200 from B&Q. Here is the thread showing pics http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?402371-The-Playhouse-(pic-heavy)

We have a run attached via pipe.

I haven't seen a spider yet :thumb:

Thats really cool! Looks so cute. Defo an idea for future reference!

Im not too worried about twmperature fluctuation. There is no heating in the utility room as it is just a converted outhouse that was attached to the house so is freezing in winter!

You might find it works out cheapest going for a company near you because of delivery charges - where about are you?

You can also buy aviaries as panels which you then screw together in the configuration you want :)

Im in birmingham. Giing to have to look into this idea, thank you

Back