• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor house - Will they use as a toilet?

Sunny

Young Bun
I want to buy my three (4 month old) rabbits an outdoor house to attach to their outdoor run .. this one >>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Natura-Outdoo...id=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|293:1|294:30 .. They go into their hutch at night and in the day I put them in the outside run for exercise. But it is just a very large pen and I feel they need to have some shelter if they choose. At the moment all they have in the outdoor run is a material tunnel. Now my problem is .. if I buy this little house for them .. will they get in and use it for what it is ment for .. or will they just use it as their toilet? Any ideas? Because in the hutch where they sleep at night .. the end part that is sort of sectioned off .. they use for their toilet instead of snuggling up in it to sleep. They spend the night in the more open part where the wind can blow in (so I have to cover this at night so they don't get cold). Any advice will be appreciated as I don't want to waste money .. I've already spent so much on them so I need to be sure what I buy now they will use as intended :)

Hi, is there any way you can attach their hutch on to their pen? That way, so long as it's secure, you can allow them 24/7 access to the run and hutch! You won't need to buy them a new house. I would suggest bolting the run and hutch together, rather than screws or nails, cos if you need to take it apart, you can just unbolt it and you won't ruin the wood. I would suggest putting the run on paving slabs rather than grass so that your bunnies can't dig out and predators can't dig in.

Hi, is there any way you can attach their hutch on to their pen? That way, so long as it's secure, you can allow them 24/7 access to the run and hutch! You won't need to buy them a new house. I would suggest bolting the run and hutch together, rather than screws or nails, cos if you need to take it apart, you can just unbolt it and you won't ruin the wood. I would suggest putting the run on paving slabs rather than grass so that your bunnies can't dig out and predators can't dig in.

That's an excellent idea pooks ... didn't think of that actually .. cos they do love their hutch and if they could go from their hutch straight into the run without my help everyday .. they'd love that. At the moment I have to physically carry each one from the hutch to the run and the little black Rex never fails to stratch me :censored: .. The other 2 lop eared ones are so gentle and sweet .. but the Rex is not very popular with me lately because I'm sick of being scratched by her no matter how gentle I am when moving her! :roll: .. But thanks for that advice ;)

Agree with attaching the hutch to the run. I have 1 of those houses which my lot refused to set foot in until I cut an extra hole in the side.

Rhian - perhaps that's what I'll have to do - got a new one of those and Smudge won't use it - prefers to sit in the rain! :roll:

Think you should, I cut a hole on the side right at the back. Not a sniff of interest until I did that and now a frequently find 2 in it and 1 on top.

We have one of those and simply put a litter tray inside. Yes, they use the hut as a toilet but with the tray it's a doddle to clean!

Agree with attaching the hutch to the run. I have 1 of those houses which my lot refused to set foot in until I cut an extra hole in the side.

Ooooh, I have one too and mine won't set foot in it either but they love sitting on top. I might have to give it a try. ;)

Back