• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our Rabbits New Handmade Run

mashpotato

Young Bun
I wrote back in April that we were moving home on 1st May and everyone gave me some good ideas for housing the rabbits in our Landladys shed. They've been living in the shed since we moved but we're going to have to do some alterations to the panels we fitted inside to keep them in their own space without Peppa chewing the shed. peppa decided last night to chew the doors we made so we're going to change them to mesh tomorrow.
But in the mean time we need some where to put them while we do this so over the last couple of days we've built a run for them. It stands at 6ft by 8ft and is 3ft high, the materials we got from wickes and cost about £90. We're going to buy some slabs to line the floor so they can't dig out and foxes can't dig in. here are some pic's

CIMG3886.jpg

CIMG3888.jpg

CIMG3891.jpg

this is them basking in the sun

It looks great :D Don't forget a shady spot for when it's hot, just a blanket over part of the top will do :)

shades fine its under an enormous tree and we covered the far end with felt earlier so they had some protection from the rain and sun

Because its probably not fox proof a fox could pull a rabbit through that wire

I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense. If they can't fit through the wire, how is a fox going to pull them through it? The holes are still too small for the rabbits body to fit though.

However, having said that a fox could fit it's muzzle through that wire and still bite them. Rats and mice could also get through.

I wouldn't be too sure your smallest bun couldn't get through the wire to be honest. It looks like the stuff I used to fence in an area at my old place. They both managed to squeeze through it when they panicked. Although mine are smaller than yours I think I would still replace it as I think it would be possible for a fox to chew through it as the holes are big it would only need to chew through in a few spots :(
I used the galvanised wire mesh off ebay for my runs, you can get 30m for about £50

I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense. If they can't fit through the wire, how is a fox going to pull them through it? The holes are still too small for the rabbits body to fit though.

However, having said that a fox could fit it's muzzle through that wire and still bite them. Rats and mice could also get through.

This is a disgusting thing to think about but it doesn't matter to the fox whether it comes through in one piece or not. :cry:

that looks really good! i'm in the process of building some more runs for my bunnies and might just pinch your idea lol :wave:

Looks good to me, dont think there is such a thing as fox proof wire! Depends where you live i guess as too how many foxes are about in the day if your not in.

Well done on building a lovely run :)

Back