• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please - pic heavy sorry!

so I read your thread & thought to myself i must find something to be improved on...can't do it. i think your photography is stunning, really beautiful . Good luck

I think it depends on the type of photography market you want to cater for? It's a ruthless business and selling prints doesn't pay the bills.

I have work hanging in lobbies of some big companies who you would think would pay big money but they don't. I've been around the music festival's and other sporting events around the UK and again magazines and newspapers don't pay out big for images... The best business to be in is weddings. but the work involved is a hell of a lot more than a 9-5 job... People always say wedding photography is easy, but when you explain that it involves 12hrs on average for the actual day then around 100+hrs of editing and album designing afterwards they smile and change the subject...

Personally I would say you have 'nice' photos but you have a long way to be able to sell them or say they're professional, I'd look at your framing, you seem to be cropping in very tightly around your subjects, use the environment around your subject to frame them instead. Learn about your speedlite settings as a few of the pics in the first post are heavily lit in stead of being softened with the flash.

Subtle editing is key to a good photo also, knowing when to sharpen and clone.

Take this one for example,

Unedited
4249901913_a2f1474cd6_z.jpg

Edited
24171184920_9bfb9052f4_z.jpg

Subtle editing makes the difference...

If you want to speak more, drop me a message..

I prefer pet/wildlife photography, I have done a couple of weddings which they were over the moon with (thank goodness!) but I wouldn't want that to be my main focus. I know that for me photography won't be my main line of work, it will be something I do on the side. I did some pet photography at a vet practice open day Aswell

Some lovely compositions and with a bit of tweaking and practice you could have some really nice images, but I echo the above comment about giving your subjects space within the frame. Adding context to a picture can lend it more meaning. Just be careful with clipping your highlights - it's better to slightly underexpose than overexpose, as losing details in the shadow is less noticeable than in the white parts of an image. Also be careful to keep shutter speed up on moving images (i.e. the dog) to keep the image sharp, striking a balance with the aperture so that you can allow enough light into that camera and not compromise on the depth of field. Also don't over employ the sharpening or clarifying post processing as this will be more evident once printed. All I can say is keep photographing everything and anything you can, take every opportunity to learn (look up B&H photography on Youtube for lots of tutorials and lectures), practice in all weathers and light and be prepared to really put in the groundwork with social sites (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Ephotozine, 500px) to get your name out there. We have been trying to get an equine photography company off of the ground solidly for the last year or so and it's hardwork and slow going. It would appear that the best thing to earn a few pennies from is weddings, but you need a good portfolio to get work and work to get a portfolio... not to mention you need double all of the kit you need for other types of photography, so an investment of upwards of £5k. Good luck, definitely give it a good go and keep shooting (so to speak!).

Last edited:
Back