• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on this: Updated

Daniel

Alpha Buck
Not really posted on here much lately but what do you feel of this?
Been working on a hayrack and one that is my style which is large and thick timber.

It’s a prototype so not final and it’s made with left over materials, the mesh would have bigger holes to make it easier to get the hay out. And I may even allow bowls to be fixed to it some how.

10946288326_12e106d210_n.jpg
10946234165_370a462e15_n.jpg
10946472383_a309d9254b_n.jpg
10946280956_e4b7e4ac78_n.jpg

It is also designed to be attached to this:

10946466413_d7fe339e5f_n.jpg
10946273066_a73df642df_n.jpg

Needs little more work but later on in the week I will fill it with hay and show you it full.

Last edited:
Not really posted on here much lately but what do you feel of this?
Been working on a hayrack and one that is my style which is large and thick timber.

It’s a prototype so not final and it’s made with left over materials, the mesh would have bigger holes to make it easier to get the hay out. And I may even allow bowls to be fixed to it some how.

10946288326_12e106d210_n.jpg
10946234165_370a462e15_n.jpg
10946472383_a309d9254b_n.jpg
10946280956_e4b7e4ac78_n.jpg

It is also designed to be attached to this:

10946466413_d7fe339e5f_n.jpg
10946273066_a73df642df_n.jpg

Needs little more work but later on in the week I will fill it with hay and show you it full.

Definitely bigger holes, as you've said. My rabbits/hay in particular need massive holes - 2 x 2 inch at least.

I think the litter tray bit might be a bit high? But as you've said, it's only a prototype.

Looks like it holds plenty which is great!

When the litter box is attached at the front, it looks like they won't be able to get to all the hay at the bottom of the rack. Other than that, I love it!

When the litter box is attached at the front, it looks like they won't be able to get to all the hay at the bottom of the rack. Other than that, I love it!

That's true, i was thinking of maybe a stand to raise it up or to build it as one unit.
The top one could be standalone product and then do another that is joined to the forage box.

The angles might be a bit awkward with the two together, just trying to imagine how it would fit in a corner or along a wall - you don't want gaps where the hay would fall out down the back. Nice size though!

The angles might be a bit awkward with the two together, just trying to imagine how it would fit in a corner or along a wall - you don't want gaps where the hay would fall out down the back. Nice size though!

Yes, maybe it would fit better as a rectangle in standard sizes to fit your hutches.

I use a humane rabbit trap as a hay rack for my guys and they struggled to pull the hay out so we had to cut the wire and make the holes larger so agree with whoever mentioned that. :)

I did plan this one to be use on it's own in like a room, playhouse, shed or kennel so maybe forget the forage box with this one.

Yes, maybe it would fit better as a rectangle in standard sizes to fit your hutches.

This Hay Rack is 2ft long by 2ft high and 1ft wide and as the smallest hutch i do is 2.5ft wide it fit in nicely at one end :)

Just had a idea which will help it when being used in a hutch would be to make the back the front and the front the back.

Can anyone advise what the biggest size mesh holes i could go for that won't be dangerous to the pets?

I love the idea, how about slanting the floor so that the hay falls towards the front so that bunnies can get to it all? Rather than the outside hay being eaten and not being able to get at the hay left in the centre if you get my drift?

I think it would be really good positioned 'backwards' in a hutch. It would give different sides for more than 1 bunny to get to. Not sure about mesh size though. Mine just have a metal one at the moment with rectangular gaps that are quite small. They just pull it all out and eat the hay off the floor!

I love the idea, how about slanting the floor so that the hay falls towards the front so that bunnies can get to it all? Rather than the outside hay being eaten and not being able to get at the hay left in the centre if you get my drift?

This ^. I think it definately needs something to bring the hay towards the front.

ETA -kind of like on this equine version - http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/stable-yard/stable/hay-racks/munching-station-dual-feeder.html

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, i will create a slanting floor and will be taking the mesh off to try another idea.
Will show when that has been done.

Looking forward to seeing it, there aren't any decent hay 'bars' anywhere so if you crack the design I reckon you will see lots of orders. Always searching for the perfect Hay bar!

Updated

Had bit of time today and took the mesh of which has sadly left marks all over it and silly me left it out over night which has ruined the finish.
I've took the hinges off as i feel it be better as a lid.

The idea i had was to replace the mesh with timber and don't know why i never did that in the first place as it looks much better but next time the gaps will be larger but had to work with the space that was available.

I've also added a slanting floor as requested and this can go either way to direct the hay down to either the front or the back.

10980771846_606a06580a_m.jpg
10980774816_03e4c18e5e_m.jpg
10980776666_3214deaeb6_m.jpg

10980902193_cf7cf7dfa4_m.jpg
10980897723_a400cd2911_m.jpg

Will sand it down a bit and fill with hay tomorrow to see how it looks and works.

What I have noticed with my rabbits when they are "pinching" my hay from a pop-up linen hamper is they make a hole about 2" across and they stick their noses through to get to the hay. Going off this information you would need to make biggish holes for them to do this. This has happened with many of my rabbits. I don't think those slats would work unless the hay was sticking out.

What I have noticed with my rabbits when they are "pinching" my hay from a pop-up linen hamper is they make a hole about 2" across and they stick their noses through to get to the hay. Going off this information you would need to make biggish holes for them to do this. This has happened with many of my rabbits. I don't think those slats would work unless the hay was sticking out.

Agreed, ones or sale would have maybe 2in gaps unless that's to unsafe for rabbits.

Back