• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on Bonding Stratagies

Some people put the buns on the bath..with some water in..the rabbits are so scared they don't move and by the time they are taken out have got used to each other being there..
ok for some but not me...a journey in a carrier is the option i suggest to start off if you have not bonded before...it does rely on the bunnies being un nerved by the car journey..but they have to get used to that for vets visits ...and they are in a small, secure space which is more comforting to them...

if you are just using the bath as a neutral, small area..dry too!..then fine!

my small space method is the one i've had the most success with:D

Some people put the buns on the bath..with some water in..the rabbits are so scared they don't move and by the time they are taken out have got used to each other being there..
ok for some but not me...a journey in a carrier is the option i suggest to start off if you have not bonded before...it does rely on the bunnies being un nerved by the car journey..but they have to get used to that for vets visits ...and they are in a small, secure space which is more comforting to them...

Oh right I see what you mean now, thanks for explaining that :wave: I didnt have a clue why people thought the bath was so bad, didnt realise people put them in with water. I agree with the small space thing though, if its too big they dont pay any attention to each other :lol:

:shock: I had no idea people put water in the bath too. I thought the bath thing was just putting them in the bath.

:shock: I had no idea people put water in the bath too. I thought the bath thing was just putting them in the bath.

Me too thats why I was thinking I dont feel like I have done anything wrong by sitting in the bath with them for a few minutes :oops: I started panicing that I had done something terrible :shock:

Can rabbits swim? Mine would be terrified if I put them in the bath with water I just couldnt do that. I know they dont like the car but thats something they have to put up with to get to the vets so its nothing they have never done before

Good grief:shock: if I heard of anyone bonding Buns in a bath *with water in* I'd call the RSPCA :)rolleyes:) IMO that is plain cruel :evil:

Janex

Good grief if I heard of anyone bonding Buns in a bath *with water in* I'd call the RSPCA :)rolleyes:) IMO that is plain cruel :evil:

Janex

Thats what I was thinking Ive not seen anyone say they put water in the bath. I did read on here that I could introduce them in the bath with plenty of towels, food and hay though but got the impression it was for an introduction only. Like 5 minutes or something :? Not keeping them in a bath with water

Thats what I was thinking Ive not seen anyone say they put water in the bath. I did read on here that I could introduce them in the bath with plenty of towels, food and hay though but got the impression it was for an introduction only. Like 5 minutes or something :? Not keeping them in a bath with water

My concern is not so much with putting the Buns in the bath (*without water* !! ) but what if they jump out. IMO the potential for injury is too great and I would not use the 'bath method' for bonding

Janex

My concern is not so much with putting the Buns in the bath (*without water* !! ) but what if they jump out. IMO the potential for injury is too great and I would not use the 'bath method' for bonding

Janex

Ahhh I see :D I didnt really think of that :oops: I guess I am lucky that Trip and Scarlett were too busy eating their pellets to try jumping out :shock: Your right though, I dont let my buns anywhere near the stairs incase they try climbing them and fall and jumping out the bath could cause a horrible injury :( Wont be doing that again! x

I had my trio in the bathtub when Penny had a bleeding nail one morning, and Penny tried to jump out all the time. I had some towels in there to monitor the bleeding. I would not choose that place for bonding. A slightly slippery kitchen floor can be helpful, but the space should not be too big, oherwise they either run and slip too much, or just sit in opposite corners and avoid each other.
As for injuries, you probably get scratched or nicked ears with lops quite often, as their ears get in the way. I would not stop bonding if there's a little injury on an ear, unless it is really bleeding lots. You also have to accept a few nips to the rear end.

Janex

That was my point too. People manage to knock themselves out and break limbs slipping in the bath.

Im sure I saw a thread in a search I ran some time ago about using water in the bath when bonding.

I agree with the risk of injury reason for not using the bath too..but yes some people did discuss on here putting water in so the bunnies didn't move.....

Well perhaps the person using the method was acting on advice given by someone else. Hopefully they now realise its not a good idea and would not do it again.

Janex

Me & Joe have bonded all 5 together ourselves, and never had any serious injuries.

It is scary and so many times I've been tempted to seperate at a little scuffle or one bun looking a bit scared but we persevered as we thought carrying on would be less stressful than going over the whole process again in the long run.

There have been a few occasions when the buns have locked on, but we're always there on hand with a broom or something to pull them apart immediately.

When we've bonded, we've sectioned off a corner of our bedroom (completely neutral terriotory) and stayed with them constantly for 3 days which equals not much sleep but we're always there with them should a scuffle break out.

It is hard to see your lovely bunnies in a scuffle or being chased or having fur pulled out but it's also really nice to see bunnies happy and loving with their new friends :D

I agree with the risk of injury reason for not using the bath too..but yes some people did discuss on here putting water in so the bunnies didn't move.....

Am I reading this right?, that to bond rabbits someone put them in a bath with water in it?? :shock::shock::shock::shock:surely not!!, if I am reading it right then I think that is cruel,

Please tell me I have got this wrong

I would expect that they try and jump out of the water rather than sit still. And get really scared because they are not normally used to being in water. They would probably react like cats.

For my second bonding we used the car/carrier method...simply for the fact that we were taking them on holiday, which would be a lovely neutral space and we couldn't fit 2 carriers in the car. I think it worked pretty well and I have noticed that since we also took them down to London for Christmas they seem to have come back with a stronger bond, even though they've been together for a month now.

I wouldn't do it again as a method of introduction though but I did notice that they were better in a small rather than large space when actually doing the bonding so a small bathroom would probably be an ideal space to have a go (humans in the bath perhaps and buns on the floor?)

I wouldn't do it again as a method of introduction though but I did notice that they were better in a small rather than large space when actually doing the bonding so a small bathroom would probably be an ideal space to have a go (humans in the bath perhaps and buns on the floor?)

:lol::lol::lol: Thats what I did with Buu and Beau ;) I put them in the bathroom and I had a bath while I watched them :lol:

Back