• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on Bonding Stratagies

im also a wuss when it comes to bonding :oops: i freak at the slightest scuffle lol

in my opinion i feel that sopmetimes people force a bond with some rabbits whether this is right or wrong i dont know but in my opinion unless the rabbits love each other and show friendship with one an other then the bond shouldnt be made (only my opinion) because i feel a forced bond is just the rabbits tolerating each other but theres no real friendship so i dont feel they will be any happier :?

Yes, I do know what you mean. I shudder at some of the bonding tales I read on here :shock::cry::shock: Especially when injuries occur :cry: I am not trying to imply that I am right, but I really could not force any of my Rabbits to bond if it was clear from the outset that they did not like one another.
I guess its another Bunny Issue that is very much down to personal choice.

Janex

As many folk know I am a wuss at bonding and only really bond Buns who show a bit of chasing/humping/fur pulling.
Over the past year I have read many posts of Buns being bonded using more 'forceful' means such as putting them in a Pet Carrier together or putting them in the bath.
Instinctively I just dont feel happy with either of those methods :? I hate seeing frightened Rabbits :cry:
Also, I have know some people continue to attempt a bonding even if a fight has occured and one Bun has had a significant injury.

So, am I wrong in my thinking re bonding :? Is it OK for the Bun (s) to be affraid for a while if they eventually accept each other.

Just a couple of days ago i was attempting to bond Jess and Flynn. Wasnt going at all well and nearly gave up as Flynn looked soooooo scared. Eventually i took the risky decision of putting them into their hutch together (the only space i thought safe and suitable but scrubbed it with dettol to get rid of smell) it took 24 hours, Flynn was head in a corner for all that time, i was having to put food and water under his nose. Their was no real aggression though so took the risk, and next morning....... they shared their brekkie together, soooooooo lovely, Jess is still he boss but Flynn doesnt seem to mind, he even gives her a little chase now and then. Glad i made the decision.

As many folk know I am a wuss at bonding and only really bond Buns who show a bit of chasing/humping/fur pulling.
Over the past year I have read many posts of Buns being bonded using more 'forceful' means such as putting them in a Pet Carrier together or putting them in the bath.
Instinctively I just dont feel happy with either of those methods :? I hate seeing frightened Rabbits :cry:
Also, I have know some people continue to attempt a bonding even if a fight has occured and one Bun has had a significant injury.

So, am I wrong in my thinking re bonding :? Is it OK for the Bun (s) to be affraid for a while if they eventually accept each other.

When i bond i always leave them between mesh in the same run for 2 or 3 weeks till i see there interaction is good before letting them interact without the mesh being there,rick

Just a couple of days ago i was attempting to bond Jess and Flynn. Wasnt going at all well and nearly gave up as Flynn looked soooooo scared. Eventually i took the risky decision of putting them into their hutch together (the only space i thought safe and suitable but scrubbed it with dettol to get rid of smell) it took 24 hours, Flynn was head in a corner for all that time, i was having to put food and water under his nose. Their was no real aggression though so took the risk, and next morning....... they shared their brekkie together, soooooooo lovely, Jess is still he boss but Flynn doesnt seem to mind, he even gives her a little chase now and then. Glad i made the decision.

Just a word of warning. Dettol is *toxic* to Rabbits. So if you use it for hutches then the wood must be bone dry before tou put anyBun into it ;)

Janex

It makes me sad when people give up too soon. There are a couple of people on here who've tried bonding their rabbits and given up after a bit of chasing and fur pulling, when if they'd persevered then it would most likely have worked out.

I think when some rabbits have not seen another rabbit for years they are bound to react badly before they realise it is a friend.

Having said that though, I do think some pairings are not meant to be. Audrey and my sister's rabbit truly hated each other and I really tried. However, when Audrey was put with her new husbun I knew it would work out because she was much calmer.

It makes me sad when people give up too soon. There are a couple of people on here who've tried bonding their rabbits and given up after a bit of chasing and fur pulling, when if they'd persevered then it would most likely have worked out.

I think when some rabbits have not seen another rabbit for years they are bound to react badly before they realise it is a friend.

Having said that though, I do think some pairings are not meant to be. Audrey and my sister's rabbit truly hated each other and I really tried. However, when Audrey was put with her new husbun I knew it would work out because she was much calmer.

Totally agree! I think its silly to expect that there will be no fur flying at first, even on neutral territory. Im not saying it always happens but in the most, it does!
I generally will get them used to each other over a period of a week or two by having them one out in the run and one loose in the garden and its rare for the one loose not to start lying next to the mesh for company within a day or two! Its usually only a matter of hours I find!
Then I just let them both loose in the garden so there is plenty of room to flee or tussle without getting hurt by being hemmed in.
This is obviously completely different to other methods usually used but I haven't failed yet! I find there is the usual humping/lunging and little scraps(that look more serious than they actually are) before the hierachy is sorted and they then settle, I find there are the odd little arguments for the first few days and then they become inseperable. I always scatter food on the floor rather than in a bowl so that they don't have to fight to get their head in, they just munch away without having to compete.

im also a wuss when it comes to bonding :oops: i freak at the slightest scuffle lol

in my opinion i feel that sopmetimes people force a bond with some rabbits whether this is right or wrong i dont know but in my opinion unless the rabbits love each other and show friendship with one an other then the bond shouldnt be made (only my opinion) because i feel a forced bond is just the rabbits tolerating each other but theres no real friendship so i dont feel they will be any happier :?

Love at first sight pairings are sadly not common. If we gave up only if they liked each other from the onset there would be a ot mor bunnies out there still alone in rescue and a lot more declared 'unbondable'.

Many rabbits have been seperate from their own species since shortly after birth and as a prey species are going to be naturally scared of anything new.

I have seen plenty of rabbits who, quite frankly, looked petrified on day one be snuggled up grooming by the end of day two or three.

Well worth it in my opinion.

I wouldn't use the bath. Before we bonded Puck back in to the group I tried introducing her to Faline thinking she could become a trio with her and Molly. Since they'd showed some through the bar aggression when Puck had gotten into the living room I decided to try the bath tub. They both completely freaked out since I guess the bath is so strange. Both went for each other, Puck leapt out and landed in the bin. :shock::shock:

Naturally I was terrified and they then associated the horrible experience with each other so when I tried again on the bathroom floor they both stomped and grunted and ran away from each other and generally ended up seeming very fearful which I didn't like at all.

I am not suggesting giving up after a bit of fur pulling/chasing etc. But IMO a fight that actually causes injury is *my* time to call it a day.

Janex

Hi Jane:wave:

How do you feel about separating buns while bonding? I have separated Speedy from my 3 for the last two nights and will also when I need to go out. I do this because i need to make sure he is ok. I know it will take longer but I believe it will work eventually as it did when I introduced Nushka to Daisy & Gabe.

Hi Jane:wave:

How do you feel about separating buns while bonding? I have separated Speedy from my 3 for the last two nights and will also when I need to go out. I do this because i need to make sure he is ok. I know it will take longer but I believe it will work eventually as it did when I introduced Nushka to Daisy & Gabe.

Oh gawd dont ask me for advice on bonding!! :lol:

Some people say that if you seperate them then each re-introduction is like starting from scratch (no pun intended :rolleyes:)
I have never seperated then reintroduced when bonding, only because there has never been the need. I leave the Buns together and try to avoid interacting with either of them for about 3 days. I felt really left out when bonding Bobbie with Brian :cry::oops:

I guess if a method works for a particular Bun/Buns then that's the method to use. I really dont think there is a 'one size fits all' re bonding methods except the need for neutral territory.

Good Luck

Janex :wave:

Oh gawd dont ask me for advice on bonding!! :lol:

Some people say that if you seperate them then each re-introduction is like starting from scratch (no pun intended :rolleyes:)
I have never seperated then reintroduced when bonding, only because there has never been the need. I leave the Buns together and try to avoid interacting with either of them for about 3 days. I felt really left out when bonding Bobbie with Brian :cry::oops:

I guess if a method works for a particular Bun/Buns then that's the method to use. I really dont think there is a 'one size fits all' re bonding methods except the need for neutral territory.

Good Luck

Janex :wave:

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Jane :D I am a bonding wuss too, I can't bear the thought of leaving them alone just yet, think its different with 4.... anyhow am starting again in a min - this time in my study....reckon the living room was too big and its gaes since anybun been in study... luck wishes greatly appreciated thanks:D there is no way i'm giving Speedy up so if i have do bunny dates for the next year then so be it !!

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Jane :D I am a bonding wuss too, I can't bear the thought of leaving them alone just yet, think its different with 4.... anyhow am starting again in a min - this time in my study....reckon the living room was too big and its gaes since anybun been in study... luck wishes greatly appreciated thanks:D there is no way i'm giving Speedy up so if i have do bunny dates for the next year then so be it !!

Good luck !! :wave:

Janex

:oops: youve been reading my posts i guess:oops:

I found bonding two difficult but worth it...the trio was not on....so i added a fourth.....and its been hard and long....and yes there were injures..

the worst injuries were before i had bonded the trio..willow jumpedover her enclosure overnight and was attacked by Bif..and she defended herself leavingbif with no fur under her neck and raw skin where the fur had been pulled. I was horrifed and kept them apart for months and months placing willow in the rottie crate and exercising her seperately but not as often as she should purely because of bif attacking her through the pen bars etc

willow has sustained two minor wounds on her ear that didnt need treating even by me....bif had two scabs on each cheek that we could feel but no open wounds.....

she suddenly stopped biting and fell in love with Bandit too like she did bertie..but bertie will always be her beloved. Bandit is a lionhead and is about the size of poor old oscar her dead husbunny..and her brother was a lionhead the rescue said so she feels safe there. She and Bertie still love each other but bertie also loves willow...well frenchies ogehter birds of a feather etc.
whenever there was signs of stress etc i did give in and seperate them as bif has a long term stress related condition and bandit was suffering with his tummy at the rescue with his new owner and back at the rescue and with is till he was neutered.

they seemed to have finally bonded except bandit hadnt washed willow and bertie properly and bif had only quickly washed willows face. of course berties bifs man and willow is the other woman so last night during exercise time whilst i cleaned out their bonding pen willow decided halfway hrough to chase bif but bif did keep on sniffing willows bits! bandit however was fine..he didnt nip or chase willow and the two frenchies loved the space.
But because of the tussle i put them back into the pen. we had bertie tussling bandit and bif and then stopped..but he does have tummy ache..he smells a bit with wind..my mum fed him a whole banana whilst i was in the kitchen:shock: she wont do that again:oops:

the fights havent been blod letting etc but fur pulling can lead to raw skin andinfection.
I would say it depends on the bunny....i know that Bif bless her is getting braver and braver and much much more relaxed and nowhere near as much soft poos lately...our vet will be proud of her and pleased.
to think this time last year i had spent the holiday with her death sentence over our heads..then i went for a second opinion and hey presto shes here today.

the arguements are usually over the litter trays no matter how many i put in..litle buns sleep in them and get sat on by desperate frenchies and frenchies sleep in them and get peed on by desperate littlies..so like bunnies:lol:

it depends on bunnies as much as it depends on the bonders.

I am with you on that one, Jane. I don't like using fear to bond the bunnies. The "worst" I do it take them into a neutral area that neither of them know to prevent territorial behaviour. It takes them normally just a few minutes to get used to it... I don't like the bonding in cars for example as I feel like you that it is using fear to achieve the desired result...

I also don't force bondings with fights and things. I use a method where I have the bunnies together in a neutral area for just a few minutes to start off with, and then do several meetings gradually increasing the time. When I feel that the situation gets tense or they start nipping seriously, I separate them immediately and try again another day. This way it takes a lot longer, but I feel it is less stressful for the bunnies than forcing the issue with pet carriers or water pistols... though can't see a major problem with the bath as this is just a neutral space really.

Vera

I'm not a fan of the bath tub trick..but do advise people of the carrier methos if they are not confident...

I introduce buns in a small outside pen..no other bunnies in sight..or on my kitchen floor..lots of veg and big pile of hay...keep an eye on them for an hour or so..then move them into an indoor cage ..where they stay for 3 days.

Important to leave them to establish their relationship and not to make a fuss or cuddle them during this time..... and you should end up with 2 loved-up bunsters!:D

so far has worked with the last 13 out of 15 bondings I've done..the 2 that failed were down to male hormones not having dropped off enough post neuter..both boys were later bonded with same method :D

I prefer pairs to trios..and will not push a bonding...some bunnies do have preferences and you have to respect that!

Last edited:
I am with you on that one, Jane. I don't like using fear to bond the bunnies. The "worst" I do it take them into a neutral area that neither of them know to prevent territorial behaviour. It takes them normally just a few minutes to get used to it... I don't like the bonding in cars for example as I feel like you that it is using fear to achieve the desired result...

I also don't force bondings with fights and things. I use a method where I have the bunnies together in a neutral area for just a few minutes to start off with, and then do several meetings gradually increasing the time. When I feel that the situation gets tense or they start nipping seriously, I separate them immediately and try again another day. This way it takes a lot longer, but I feel it is less stressful for the bunnies than forcing the issue with pet carriers or water pistols... though can't see a major problem with the bath as this is just a neutral space really.

Vera

Glad to hear someone else separates too :D

Glad to hear someone else separates too :D

I was seperating Buu and Beau and letting them play together for ages :wave: They were getting on fine each time but still hadnt sorted out who was going to be boss :lol: It didnt seem to me that we were starting over each time they met each other because they were still chasing and fur pulling (with no injurys) after spending loads of time on neutral territory without being seperated :D When I put them together for play time they flopped together and just generally played :D Neither was stressed by it and they both seemed much happier playing together than alone :lol: I have stopped now because Beau still chases her and pulls her fur and from what I have read on here it would be mean for me to let them play together but not live together, so they will just be living next to each other from now on.

I'm not a fan of the bath tub trick

Sorry im being a bit stupid but what is the bath tub trick? :oops: When I put Trip and Scarlett in the bath it was just somewhere neutral to meet for a while and they seemed fine and were more interested in their food than paying any attention to being in a bath :lol: Do you mean forcing rabbits to stay in the bath for a long time? x

Back