• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One step forward two steps back.

Tinamoo

Young Bun
Hi,

I have posted about this problem a couple of times now. I have a rabbit which I have had for about 3 weeks. I was trying to handle him everyday and put him in his run. Then one day when I went to pick him up he started growling at me and looked like he may attack.

I have read some information that says not to attempt to pick him up for 2 weeks. I have just been cleaning his litter tray, and making sure he has enough food and drink.

He was letting me stroke him and then all of a sudden everytime I went out to him he would dive into his bedroom. This morning he let me stroke him again. Whilst I was stroking him this morning I noticed that he had knocked some of his food out of his dish so I started putting it back in. As soon as I started to do this he dived into his bedroom. I feel that now I have quite a nervous rabbit.

The thing is normally I clean out his hutch completely on a Wednesday. I have not done it so far because to be honest I have been putting it off as I am unsure how to go about it without handling the rabbit. I was thinking maybe of doing the general area first which is where he normally dives to his bedroom from. I am hoping he would then dive back into the general area from his bedroom but lately when I open the door to his bedroom he growls at me so I am unsure what to do if he does not leave his bedroom area.

It has only been a week & as I say in my title it is like one step forward two steps back at the moment. I am wondering what I am supposed to do if after two weeks he is not getting any better with me? I am also worried that he may become agressive with us if he is not being handled. I am trying to spend a bit of time with him everyday but he does tend to dive into his bedroom after a few minutes.:?:?

two weeks is nothing i had a foster bun who didnt start to trust me till after 3 months it all takes time

how old is he, he neutered

ok, there are tricks you could do. He does sound to be a nervous bunny. When giving his nuggets/treats and he starts to eat, then he is distracted with yummy food. This is a good time to stroke him. Stroke him on his sides of his body. Do not put your hand towards his head yet. It is quite daunting when a hand comes at you directly to your face! If he allows you to do this while he is eating, then thats good progress.

Another method, is that you could have your bunny in a small pen (grass or indoor) and that you put treats and toys on both sides of the pen. Then you sit down in the middle of the pen with your legs stretched in front. The idea is that if he wants to play with the things and eat treats on both sides of the pen, he has to come close to you and jump over your legs. Dont try to stroke him when he jumps over you yet. You can stroke him on his sides of his body again once he gets the hang of jumping over your little leg barriers, and therfore gotten used to you!

It will take time and patience, but I hope it goes well.

Is he definitely a boy? Growling and lunging behaviour is often associated with female teenage hormones!

Some bunnies do become very hutch territorial and aggressive though. Neutering may help to calm this down as it reduces territorial behaviour (especially in females).

Does your bunny have access to a run as well as his hutch? Ideally a run should be attached so that your rabbit feels secure in his entire territory and with a nervous bun it also allows him to come and go without needing to be handled. I would sit in the run with the rabbit, a book to read and some tasty treats and completely ignore him - he will soon get curious and come to see you. Over time he will learn that you are nothing to be afraid of and that you bring nice food! But it is important that you never move suddenly towards him or grab at him, as that will again just teach him that you are to be feared.

Alas bunnies are often not cute cuddly pets, most of them don't really like being handled (their instincts tell them that they're about to be eaten!) so to a large extent it's just about patience, learning what your bunny does/doesn't like, and coming to a compromise where he is happy and you enjoy having him :)

two weeks is nothing i had a foster bun who didnt start to trust me till after 3 months it all takes time

how old is he, he neutered

He is around 14 weeks old. He is not neutered yet. I am planning on having him done around christmastime when hubby will be around to help me.

Is he definitely a boy? Growling and lunging behaviour is often associated with female teenage hormones!

Some bunnies do become very hutch territorial and aggressive though. Neutering may help to calm this down as it reduces territorial behaviour (especially in females).

Does your bunny have access to a run as well as his hutch? Ideally a run should be attached so that your rabbit feels secure in his entire territory and with a nervous bun it also allows him to come and go without needing to be handled. I would sit in the run with the rabbit, a book to read and some tasty treats and completely ignore him - he will soon get curious and come to see you. Over time he will learn that you are nothing to be afraid of and that you bring nice food! But it is important that you never move suddenly towards him or grab at him, as that will again just teach him that you are to be feared.

Alas bunnies are often not cute cuddly pets, most of them don't really like being handled (their instincts tell them that they're about to be eaten!) so to a large extent it's just about patience, learning what your bunny does/doesn't like, and coming to a compromise where he is happy and you enjoy having him :)

The girl in the petshop told me he was a boy. She did check twice so I am assuming he is a boy. My husband is going to attach his run to his hutch so I do not have to handle him. He was meant to do it on Monday but did not get time in the end.

That should really help him to feel more relaxed :)

I really would try and pick him up and have a peep underneath (I know it's not ideal as he won't like it) but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a she. What you are describing is much more common behaviour in females, and plenty of pet shop workers sex bunnies incorrectly. Now he's a bit older it should be much easier to tell for certain which sex he is.

Have a look at this thread here to see if it helps to clarify: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46514

I have to agree with santa on this one, I was told by the guy in the petshop that 'Ariel' was a girl when I bought 'her' at about 12 weeks old, the name was soon changed to Archie when I took 'her' to the vet a few weeks later for 'her' vaccinations and found out 'she' was infact a 'he' !!!

Snow White would suit his name better if he turned out to be a she. My 5 yr old named him before you all think that I am slightly loopy. :p

I do not really want to pick him up yet to be honest I have no idea how I am going to do it when he needs to go to the vets for his vaccinations. My idea is to maybe put a carrot in a pet carrier and hope for the best! lol I am taking him in a few weeks so I may just ask the vet to check for me.

If he did turn out to be a she will she still need the op to stop her having babies even though she is on her own? Does it help with behaviour in females too?

I have just been out to clean out Snow Whites hutch. Despite being worried about it I really enjoyed it. He dived into his bedroom when I first started cleaning it but after a while he came back out and was nosying (sp?) at what I was doing. He let me stroke him and was sniffing my hand. He was generally making me laugh. Although he was eating the newspaper before I had chance to put the bedding down on it.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I have never had a rabbit before so I am learning lots.:wave:

Back