• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One rabbit, 2 or more?

Im not saying that ALL rabbits should be kept in pairs or more, because i know that is not always possible. But after seeing my two groom each other, play together, cuddle and sleep together, unless there was a valid reason with the buns i would HAVE to try and bond them, rather than keep them has solo's if that makes sense. At the end of the day most bunnies will bond, (the younger the better) so i would rather give it a go than not bother at all.

Sorry I should have mentioned in my first post ~ the buns I am talking about are the ones where the rescue have tried several bondings and failed and then allowing them to go as solo buns instead :wave: I agree to give it a go and at least make attempts, allowing the rabbit to decide for itself what it wants to do rather than deciding for it that it's going to stay solo :D

It's nice seeing my bonded buns together, but I know the chances of my solo rescue bun Luna ever having that were very slim given that the rescue had tried for almost a year to bond her with various (and very many) bunnies that came through their doors with no luck - I would be curious how many tonnes of fur flew over the year :shock:

Are you torturing yourself? It sounds a bit like you are.

Actually, I can see why you would think that but that definately isn't the case!

I had 3 rabbits when I moved here 2 years ago which I could easily afford/give the best to.

One of them, Sooty, lived all her life on her own whereas Simba and Tinkerbell were bonded so I have actually kept rabbits in both situations!

"Plenty of single buns are happy and do fine as single buns."

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. There are plenty of "happy single fine people" but given the choice would rather be in a relationship, just haven't met the right one yet. Rabbits are generally sociable creatures and by assuming they are happy alone I think you are denying them the chance to enjoy company which would actually benefit them.

Like with people tho there are rabbits who would prefer to be the only bun in their little world and we have rehomed a couple now but they are very few and far between. So for someone who could only afford to keep one bun I would agree with what has been said before and check round rescue centres for a bun who would like a home as a solo bun and give them a loving home.

that's what i'm hoping to do for eric - if he bonds and is happy then that'll be great but if he doesn't take to it, at least i'll have given him the choice and i won't feel so guilty.

like everything in life - you don't know til you try.

(off to do some maths again....)

that's what i'm hoping to do for eric - if he bonds and is happy then that'll be great but if he doesn't take to it, at least i'll have given him the choice and i won't feel so guilty.

like everything in life - you don't know til you try.

(off to do some maths again....)

"Eric wants a girlfriend, Eric wants a girlfriend" :p :lol:

I have two single buns, and have done now for about 4 months now, and its killing me that I still haven't bonded them! I don't mind giving them attention myself (believe me, I am ALWAYS in the garden with them :oops:) but I just know they will be far happier with each others company once they are bonded. They will forget who I am when they are loved up :roll:

"Eric wants a girlfriend, Eric wants a girlfriend" :p :lol:

:lol: eric has gone totally crazy sniffing my jeans (could smell abi's rabbits). he has rubbed his chin all over me, sat defiantly on my legs and done mucho stamping:? won't build my hopes up on the bonding.......

So, if you couldn't find a solo unbondable rabbit in rescue, and you really wanted a rabbit, but could only afford one, would you forego your wish to have a rabbit?

Would rescues rather single rabbits stay in rescue for maybe months or even years or go to a home as a single rabbit where they would have the best of everything but not a mate?

This is purely hypothetical by the way! Just something that got me thinking :D

i would get the rabbit with a view in the future of saving up and then getting it a partner...then putting aside monthly installments into savings or insuring or keeping a spare credit card just in case. i do think rabbits are happier with company tho. i would go for an unbondable bunny first.

So, if you couldn't find a solo unbondable rabbit in rescue, and you really wanted a rabbit, but could only afford one, would you forego your wish to have a rabbit?

All rescues have unbondable rabbits...they tend to stick around, and are the last to be homed. I know lots of rescue probably put these rabbits to sleep though, so best to go to a 'no kill' rescue

Back