• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One ear up the other down.... what does this mean?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi all. I have noticed that Roxxy when she is laying down and appears to be snoozing has her left ear up while the right ear is held lower down but then when she is active and moving around both ears are back to being up. When out in the run earlier she had both ears up as normal.

I have just seen Harmony do the same thing, she was also laying in the spot Roxxy had been minutes earlier as well. And the same ears, left up but the right held lower down.

I have read up that rabbits can do this as part of survival instinct where they listen while sleeping because in the wild they would be ready to run away. I am wondering if this is the behaviour I have read up about and if anyone else has witnessed this with their rabbits? Maybe it is just a personality thing where they just do it because they are resting and still want to listen to things going on around them?

All of our rabbits are "up eared" ones. Thanks in advance for any replies.

My two do it as well and I think it is so they are half alert to what is going on around them. I read somewhere that they can hear up to a mile away! So they can pick up on stuff that we do not even know exists!

My 2 do it sometimes too, but usually they seem to take it in turns to doze, I always think they're looking out for each other when ones asleep and snuggled up to the other who is awake. Awwww

OP: your rabbits are just relaxing and not paying attention to anything in particular. One ear is keeping sentry, that's all.

OP: your rabbits are just relaxing and not paying attention to anything in particular. One ear is keeping sentry, that's all.

I like the description :) Yes, one ears just keeping an eye out. It can be for good things too, not just cause they are looking for danger. Wouldn't want to miss someone opening a treat jar!

My 2 do it sometimes too, but usually they seem to take it in turns to doze, I always think they're looking out for each other when ones asleep and snuggled up to the other who is awake. Awwww

:thumb: i always thought they lay top and tail for this reason too, so that they can watch in both directions at the same time :love:

My two do it - rupert especially, i konw when he's properly relaxed cos both go flat against his body, i loooove it when he does that :love:

Mine also pretty much always lie top to tail, i thought it was to keep a proper look out too - they don't do it in their shed, i guess they feel there's no need in there lol

Back