• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One ear has started hanging

nemo

New Kit
Sniff is my 8 year old baby.
This is how it all went down after his ear started hanging one week ago:

Tuesday evening: I came home to find him with one hanging ear. I didnt think to much about it, as his ears usally move a little up and down accordning to his mood.

Wednesday: The ear is still hanging. I have a videochat with a vet about the ear. The vet says it could be an infection or an early sign of e.cuniculi. This evening my rabbit starts sneezing.

Thursday: I call the vet as soon as I wake up an make an early apointment. The vet looks in to his ears and says that there is a little more wax in the ear hanging down. She manages to take some wax out to examine. She comes back and says that there are no bacterias in the wax, but that it could be a flu. She says that the ear hanging, is most likely an cause of the flu. I ask if she does not think that its weird that the ear started hanging before he started sneezing, but i did not get a proper reply. I asked specific if she could check him for e.cuniculi (I did not know how she could check that, but i trusted that she knew). She had to go out of the room to read and take a decission with her collegues. She came back and said that she did not see any obvious symtoms of e.cunculi, and that the hanging ear wasnt enough to start a treatment against e.cuniculi. To sum up the apointment she did not check him any further, I was told that I could try removing some earwax with a q-tip and if i "felt like it" i could put him on a pain relief/ antiinflamatory medicine. I asked her how much medicine i should give to him and for how long, she says 0.3 ml a day for about 5 days.
As i came home i started thinking about the dosage. Last time he had a flu he needed 0,6 ml a day, and now she only told me to give him 0,3 ml (not the same vet). I also got anxious about using a q-tip in his ear, as i was afraid of damaging his ear.
Because of the reasons above, I decieded to videochat with an other vet to hear here opinions of the matter.
She told me that he should have been x-rayed to exclude teeth problems, they should have taken a blood example to exclude e.cuniculi, the dosage was to little 0,6ml a day is the correct dosage, and that i should not use a q-tip as a unprofessional as i could damage his ear. In stead of using a q-tip i should cleanse his ear daily for a week.

Friday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes.

Saturday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes.

Sunday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes.

Monday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- The ear that has been hanging down start to move a little but not back to normal.

Tuesday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes from monday.

Wednesday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No change from monday.

Tomorrow we have a new appointment with a vet, what should we ask to get checked out? I am thinking at least x-ray and excluding e.cuniculi. Anything special I should ask for?
Has anyone expierinced the same?

Hi an X-ray would probably be a good idea to check - however he would need to be sedated for this.

It’s not as easy as just excluding e.cuniculi you need to get a rising titre on bloods really to demonstrate active infection - lots of rabbits will test positive on IgG if previous inactive infection.

Sniff is my 8 year old baby.
This is how it all went down after his ear started hanging one week ago:

Tuesday evening: I came home to find him with one hanging ear. I didnt think to much about it, as his ears usally move a little up and down accordning to his mood.

Wednesday: The ear is still hanging. I have a videochat with a vet about the ear. The vet says it could be an infection or an early sign of e.cuniculi. This evening my rabbit starts sneezing.

Thursday: I call the vet as soon as I wake up an make an early apointment. The vet looks in to his ears and says that there is a little more wax in the ear hanging down. She manages to take some wax out to examine. She comes back and says that there are no bacterias in the wax, but that it could be a flu. She says that the ear hanging, is most likely an cause of the flu. I ask if she does not think that its weird that the ear started hanging before he started sneezing, but i did not get a proper reply. I asked specific if she could check him for e.cuniculi (I did not know how she could check that, but i trusted that she knew). She had to go out of the room to read and take a decission with her collegues. She came back and said that she did not see any obvious symtoms of e.cunculi, and that the hanging ear wasnt enough to start a treatment against e.cuniculi. To sum up the apointment she did not check him any further, I was told that I could try removing some earwax with a q-tip and if i "felt like it" i could put him on a pain relief/ antiinflamatory medicine. I asked her how much medicine i should give to him and for how long, she says 0.3 ml a day for about 5 days.
As i came home i started thinking about the dosage. Last time he had a flu he needed 0,6 ml a day, and now she only told me to give him 0,3 ml (not the same vet). I also got anxious about using a q-tip in his ear, as i was afraid of damaging his ear.
Because of the reasons above, I decieded to videochat with an other vet to hear here opinions of the matter.
She told me that he should have been x-rayed to exclude teeth problems, they should have taken a blood example to exclude e.cuniculi, the dosage was to little 0,6ml a day is the correct dosage, and that i should not use a q-tip as a unprofessional as i could damage his ear. In stead of using a q-tip i should cleanse his ear daily for a week.

Friday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes.

Saturday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes.

Sunday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes.

Monday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- The ear that has been hanging down start to move a little but not back to normal.

Tuesday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No changes from monday.

Wednesday: Ear cleansing and pain relied/antiinflamatory medicine- No change from monday.

Tomorrow we have a new appointment with a vet, what should we ask to get checked out? I am thinking at least x-ray and excluding e.cuniculi. Anything special I should ask for?
Has anyone expierinced the same?

Hello

Are you located in the UK ? Is your Vet 'Rabbit Savvy'- ie very experienced with treating various Rabbit diseases ? I as the latter question as Rabbits do not get 'Flu'. It sounds as though your Rabbit may have an ear infection and possible an upper respiratory tract infection, the two conditions are often related. See the information on this link

https://www.veterinarywebinars.com/...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

With regards to EC there is some information about diagnosis here

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

And some general information about EC here:

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/e-cuniculi/

Back