• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One Carrot :o(

Only when I overboil them and turn them a nice khaki colour- but I can do that with fresh veg too :lol: :lol:

nick rarely eats my cooking, the beauty of being 99% vegetarian living with a meat eater.
you n dave need to get ya butts into gear and we'll get summink arranged x

i gave my rabbit a big juicy carrot this morning he has not had one in awhile.i only give carrots as a treat to.

Last edited:
i just gave my rabbits some lettuce 1 big juicy carrot and pellets this morning.:D :D :D :D my rabbit has not had A carrot for a while so i gave him 1 big carrot this mornig.we just got the big carrots last night.i give carrots as treats to

Now i have definately heard that lettuce is bad !:?

i only gave them a little bit

It's a common belief unfortunately and many people who don't know otherwise will feed it. Don't worry about it, you know now.

That also lists parsnip.. I've read both are bad :-/ Damn conflicting information!

I'd trust the rabbit welfare info, I gave mine a little bit and they don't like it, Charlie looked at me as if I was trying to poison him, he's too suspicious of new foods and only eats tomato because Poppy does (they get half a chery tomato each on rare occassions) :lol:

Last edited:
I've given my rabbits small amounts of parsnip often over the years and it's never done any of them any harm. Some websites say they're safe, some say they aren't - I'm confused! Also don't supreme do a Russel Rabbit Mix Parsnip & Beetroot?

i just bought a lovely bunch or carrots with tops for the buns luckily we eat carrots too so we eat most of the carrots and the bunnies get the tops and the odd bit of carrot

I think parsnip can be given occasionally & then only a little, I also read that about kale & spinach. Spring greens are my bunnies favourite though they do love a grape now & again oh & raisins; they'll do anything for a raisin but again cos of the high sugar content they can only have them as a rare treat.

Mine will also do anythinhg for a raisin. I'm trying to teach them to go back into their shed at night and if they do without me having to chase them round the garden then they get a raisin treat. Tonight they didn't get one,they were very naughty! :roll:

Mine will also do anythinhg for a raisin. I'm trying to teach them to go back into their shed at night and if they do without me having to chase them round the garden then they get a raisin treat. Tonight they didn't get one,they were very naughty!

Maybe they just dont realise they have to actually go to the shed without being chased to get the raisin. Try just giving them the raisins once theyre in the shed irrespective of how they go there & then they should cotton on that bed time means rasin time & rush off to the shed voluntarily. anothe suggestion: Put the raisins in a box & shake it all the way to the shed, try rattling the box under their noses & letting them smell whats in there. Good luck :)

Now i have definately heard that lettuce is bad !:?

It depends on the lettuce type ;)

Iceburg and ones with lght coloured, crisp leaves are no good but darker or red lettuces are fine.

I feed ours Italian salad mixes which come in the preprepared packs and never have any trouble....the rabbits love them. I always offer 3 types of fresh veg a day so they may have salad mix, some spring green and some celery or someting similar.

I only feed carrot tops and peel most of the time, an inch of carrot is a rare treat.

Hi julia,

Beans are bad because the actual been seeds are pretty nasty unless cooked. Even humans shouldn't eat them raw because it affects your ability to digest protein. You can of course take out the seeds.

Parsnips are ok/not ok for the same reason that carrots and fruit is bad.....too much sugar.

Lettuce is bad because of a drug it contains that makes buns sleepy. Dark cultured lettuce is pretty OK but wild lettuce is a nono. I think Iceberg is not recomended because of its high water content and low nutrition. It is also a chemical soak so (like most lettuce) if it is not organic it will contain high levels of nasty stuff....iceberg is the worst though, some farmers use it to clear their fields before putting it to grass.

Last edited:
Back