• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Once bonded returning to one rabbits terrority?

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
I've tried to read as many advice threads as possible n I think I understand the best technique for bonding (in theory).
What I'm unsure about is - once your confident everyone is friends and you've kept them there for 48 hours, what do you do about returning the rabbits to one of their territorys? I.e a hutch, run n garden which has been occupied by one of the rabbits. I was going to scrub the hutch - but not really sure how to go about cleaning a giant run or what to do about a garden?
I'm nervous that as soon as I put them back in their hutch n run, all hell will break loose or will the bond hold n it won't matter?

Sorry if this has already been answered before.

after lots of advice on here when i put mine back out in the shed i washed every inch of it in white vinegar, and the run i also swilled with a vinegar/water mix! it is hard work but worth it eventually.
it smelt like a chip shop for a few days but it does get rid of all the old scents.

i would leave it longer than 48 hours before you move them back into their hutch as well.. i think the shortest time is about a week. they can be ok for the first couple of days then fall out!

after a week if it is all going well gradually increase the living space or put them in the hutch without the run for a couple of days then start to increase the area bit by bit if you can.
if they are still ok after a week out in the hutch and run try them in the garden.

i moved the bonding pen into the shed then added an extra panel every day until they had the whole shed for a week, then i gave them the run back.

i think the main thing is don't give them too much space too soon.

good luck! :D

Last edited:
I can recommend Sainsbury's value vinegar.......bought 2 bottles yesterday for 13p each!!!!!
Hoping to try and bond my two in a month so have to scrub the kitchen down and while they're in the kitchen but my back into scrubbing the shed and two hutches!!!!!!
My shed's currently divided so I'm planning to have them in the house for 72 hours and if I get their space up to 4 by 4 ft relocate them into the shed.
I them not having access to exercise. Both of mine are used to several hours a day running around in the garden. Does the lack of exercise not lead to aggresion?
Good luck with your bonding!!!!!

Both of mine are used to several hours a day running around in the garden. Does the lack of exercise not lead to aggresion?

Oh that's a really good question! I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Thank u for the info on vinegar n good luck.I've still got a couple of weeks to go before I take the plunge as one of my boys is being neutered this week so need to leave it two weeks after that. Good luck to u as well!

good luck, sounds like there are a lot of us trying to bond bunnies at the moment.
I am trying Perry who is on his own after Clover dying last week with another two to make a trio.
It is a worry.:wave:

Please post to let us know how it goes!! Good luck. I'm trying for a trio also. Not sure what I'm going to end up with, obviously I'd like a trio but I know the worst case scenario is three singles. It is such a worry. :(

mine got a bit fed up but it didn't lead to aggresion, if they are happy together they just get a bit frustrated at being penned in!

how old is the male you are neutering?
it is normally reccomended you wait at least 6 weeks after neuter before bonding, that gives time for all the hormones to settle down and also if your buns do fight and he isn't totally healed there is a chance he could get really hurt.

it is a pain waiting but i tried to re bond my trio 6 weeks after my girls were done and it didn't work, i gave it another 6 weeks then tried again and it was successful. some take longer than others to settle but i think 2 weeks is probably too soon. :(

Hi,

He is two n a half years old. I thought the recommendation for six weeks was for if there is a chance of pregnancy which there isn't as my girl was spayed I can't even remember how long ago. There is so much conflicting advice.

He is extremely calm n is actually calmer than my neutered male. I was going to leave it a minimum of two weeks, but play it by ear depending on how he is in himself. I know that females take a lot longer to recover because its a lot more invasive operation.

Thank u for ur experience. I will definitely take it on board, discuss it with the vet n see how he is doing. Thank u for ur post x

good luck, sounds like there are a lot of us trying to bond bunnies at the moment.
I am trying Perry who is on his own after Clover dying last week with another two to make a trio.
It is a worry.:wave:

Oh poor Perry!!!!!
Clover went so suddenly didn't she?
Good luck with your bonding xxx

I would leave it at least 48 hours after any scuffles that your rabbits have had before moving them into a similiar sized space, it is best to go slowly rather than too quickly as changes can upset bunnies who are newly bonded. Likewise increaseing the space too quickly can do the same.

Back