• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oliver's eating patterns!

nicki

Warren Scout
I have one bunny with a serious gut disorder who I have been nursing for a long time so I am always sadly doing poo analysis!

I have noticed that my other bunny Oliver rests in the middle of the day and often does not graze much for several hours but will then resume eating early evening. His first droppings after this period will often be very small and look concerning but will then gradually increase in size as he eats more in the evening. This can also happen first thing in the morning. Is this common as I tend to panic and think stasis alert and then a bit later he is fine. He has access to lots of different hays and herbs all day and plenty of space to exercise.

Thanks for your help.
Nicki:D

It's normal for them to rest during the middle of the day, if this is the time he stops eating hay maybe a refresh of hay at this time would help.

Yes and no. This is EXACTLY the dropping presentation of my late bunny Nino and it is so wierd to see someone else describe it so perfectly.

Yes it is normal to rest during the middle of the day. Yes it is normal in some ways for the droppings to reduce in size and then increase in size as eating resumes so the gut gets going again but in some ways this is also abnormal to a degree as well i'm afraid. Gut motility should ideally not drop off that quickly unless there is an underlying issue potentially. Is this something that Oliver has always done (the dropping size decreasing) or is it progressive? It is not desperately serious but it does indicate that he has a propensity to ileus and it is something to be very watchful of. To reassure you, Nino was ALWAYS like this, and often without issue for years, but he was also prone to sudden bouts of ileus and bloat stasis and eventually we did find an underlying pain factor.

I'd say for now remain vigilant and try and increase the fluid and fibre (wet greens and hay) in the diet. :wave:

It's normal for them to rest during the middle of the day, if this is the time he stops eating hay maybe a refresh of hay at this time would help.

Very good idea. Something we did several times a day. Also keep a mixed bag of dried forage/herbs handy and top up litter tray/hay rack to encourage good fibre intake on waking.

Back