• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Odd Anal Gland secretion

My unspayed lionhead doe is a little over a year old. She seems to be acting normal- energetic, binkying, eating, pooping. However tonight when I was grooming her I noticed her anal glands were more full than normal. Of course I removed the plaque, and they came out easily. However her left anal gland plaque had a dried reddish residue on top of the normal black. The gland opening seemed to be bigger and perhaps inflammed compared to the right one. I will attach a picture of the plaque.
Has anyone seen this in their buns before? Could it just be because the plaque was so big and the the act of removing it left the gland a bit tender? Do the anal glands get infected? Can it go away on its own? Is this a sign of something more serious, like uterine cancer?
Please let me know! It would be greatly appreciated

20150804_205039.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
The second photo does not load

Scent glands that are impacted can become inflamed/infected, but the act of removing the impacted matter can also cause a temporary redness/inflammation of the delicate skin. It's impossible to say if your Doe has any infection without being able to see the effected area, so if you are concerned then a Vet check would be a good idea

It is unlikely to be a sign of uterine cancer, but having your Doe spayed would be in her best interests in the long term unless you are Breeding from her. As you may be aware Uterine Cancer is a very real risk in entire Does from as young as 3 years of age. This applies to Breeding Does too, infertility being one early warning sign. However, usually symptoms are absent until the disease has already spread, so spaying Does is by far the best way to ensure they can never be effected by the often fatal disease.

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

My unspayed lionhead doe is a little over a year old. She seems to be acting normal- energetic, binkying, eating, pooping. However tonight when I was grooming her I noticed her anal glands were more full than normal. Of course I removed the plaque, and they came out easily. However her left anal gland plaque had a dried reddish residue on top of the normal black. The gland opening seemed to be bigger and perhaps inflammed compared to the right one. I will attach a picture of the plaque.
Has anyone seen this in their buns before? Could it just be because the plaque was so big and the the act of removing it left the gland a bit tender? Do the anal glands get infected? Can it go away on its own? Is this a sign of something more serious, like uterine cancer?
Please let me know! It would be greatly appreciated

20150804_205039.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I think you may mean scent glands rather than anal glands?

It's common to have the brown-reddish residue here, and when you clean it out, it can leave the area a bit pinkish and tender looking. This is normal and it should go back to being fine.

Scent glands rarely become infected and it's not a sign of anything serious :)

Back