• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Novice Owner Of 2 Rescue Rabbits Being Bonded HELP

Hi Horace

A general pet rescue. Its all so confusing as it makes sense that he may hurt her at the moment so close to her op, but my vet also said they could be put together after a week. I couldn't bring them home together separately as haven't got 2 hutches. I want to feel am doing what is best for both of them.

Christine

I feel for you, your head must be spinning wondering what to do for the best. I'm sorry it's not turning out to be the situation you probably hoped for. It's a wonderful thing you are doing and I'm sure which ever way you can do things, the final outcome will be that they have a lovely new home x

I suppose you would most likely be ok one week post spay and as she is much bigger than him he may think twice about pestering her too much! I hope everything will work out fine for you and the bunnies.

The vet probably meant that the external wound would be healed. Stitches inside (that tie off blood vessels etc) can take up to two/three weeks to fully dissolve).
The main concern I would have with adding the so early post spay wouldn't be so much recovery time, it would be the hormones.
She'll still have them in her system and being double his size, she could potentially cause his harm if she's hormonal and territorial.

I think bringing her home to heal is best, then while they're together being bonded at the rescue you can neutralise the hutch/room she's been in to help prevent her being territorial when you get back.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi every one... well Lilah is home! Sweet as anything she is. Lady at rescue still attempted to bond them even after I had said not yet. Lilah came off worst screaming etc bless her. I'm not happy. But is safe here now and is a dream. So friendly settled straight in. Is loving her big run on the grass. I've hopefully uploaded a picture on here of her.... we will try to bond her in a month as I really don't want her to be on her own. Her goes fingers crossed pic works.

Hi, I'm so pleased you have her, Lilah is a lovely name. Sounds like it really was the right decision to get her out of there if they were trying to bond her regardless. I don't understand why this woman is so intent on rushing things.

No picture yet! Did you try to put it in this thread? I can help you if you need me to x

Hi ThreeB's

Yes Please!!! I'm trying to do it on my iPhone & cant see anywhere that says upload image etc....bit of a dinosaur.

Yes she rang me the night before we picked Lilah up to say I tried to bond them but he attacked her...I was fuming. I think she just wants to empty some cages to be honest. But poor Lilah. She said he grabbed her by the scruff etc & stamped on her. To see him you wouldn't believe it as he so small compared to her. I'm even contemplating getting someone else to try to bond them. I really hope it works between them, but I do realise too that it may have to be another bunny. She came up to greet me this morning, so sweet.

I am absolutely engrossed watching her got myself a little seat out there now with a cuppa. ...so funny, etc. Binkys all over the place. So I assume she likes her new home.

If could help with pic that would be fabulous.

I could get really cross with that rescue woman! Anyway glad Lilah is settling in nicely but just a bit of advice - don't put her where you will want the 2 to live as she could get very territorial and then it will be her attacking him.

Hi, sorry I've not been back sooner.

For photos, I usually use photobucket.com from my iPad, so I don't know if it might be different for you. Basically you register with the site, upload photos from your device to the site, select the picture, then copy and paste the link into the forum.

I'm so glad you have her home with you and she can get over her op in peace. As I mentioned up-thread I'm going to be in a similar position soon. Our doe hasn't had her op yet but once she has recovered we already have two boys we hope to bond her with (they were previously bonded, but fell out whilst still with their previous owner). Maybe we can compare notes as I've never done it before either x

Hi ThreeB's

Thanks for the pic info I will try it. Lilah is currently lying in the shade having a snooze. Yes am so glad she is home, mostly glad I found this site before I collected her as I would have brought them home & put them together as instructed by rescue lady, who would I have been to question an 'expert'. She was left under no illusion of how bad I thought it was after I specifically said we will wait a few weeks for the male to be with her.

I thought I might have had to wait a while to see my first rabbit binky...she is doing them a lot. So nice to see. I have started the unenviable task of trying to litter box train her, so that should be fun. She has taken to the very far corner of her run to use as her loo, so have been cleaning up as and when & putting in the box. So will see how that goes. Being slightly older she might take a while to click, but I can wait.

Is it odd that your 2 boys fall out after being bonded do you think? Hope it goes well. All you want is them to be happy isn't it? And being in a group of 2 or more has got to be the best for them.

Christine x

Last edited:
She sounds lovely :). Did you say how old she is?

With litter training it's been really easy,surprisingly. Just by doing what you said and putting a litter tray in their favourite corner and a few poos in it. Obviously you get the odd ones outside of it. Even the boys went from going everywhere, to using their trays in a couple of days.

Yes, I've found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge. A year ago I had no rabbits and now I have six and I've learnt loads from being on here.

I'm not sure what's gone on with our boys. They just said that the bigger one, Sydney, used to bully the smaller one, Theo. So they have been living separately. Currently though we have them in our big run with a metal playpen inside (I'll post a pic) so one goes in each. It's working really well, because they can see/smell each other but not interact yet. There's been no aggression at all and they will touch noses through the bars.

When the time comes to introduce our doe, we are hoping that the boys will be used to each other again. But will obviously bond all three in a neutral area, which will be our new rabbit shed, when it's done.

Hopefully we will eventually have two trios. Our others rabbits are already a trio, but are all girls from the same litter so we didn't have to bond them x

Hi there, good on you! Sounds like your bun has a great ally in you. Contrary to popular belief, older buns are much easier to train than hyper kits! :) Also Rexes are extremely intelligent so I doubt she'll have a problem at all :)

Would love to see a photo (have a soft spot for Rexes!)

She'll steal your heart in no time :)

Good luck! Xx

Back