• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Novice Owner Of 2 Rescue Rabbits Being Bonded HELP

Hi All

Thanks...she is so sweet...but this is now her 4th day with us, she has tunnels toys etc in a lovely big run with grass, open to her hutch....since yesterday she insists on pulling her little hayrick off the fence of her hutch. really determined till she pulls it onto the floor of the hutch then she hops off & leaves it. No sooner have I cleaned up the hay & put the rick back on she charges in and pulls it off again. so frustrating. She has lots to keep her occupied.

HELP!!

Christine x

Could she be having difficulty getting the hay out of the rack which is why she's pulling the rack down,
If she has litter trays, try putting a pile of hay in one corner of the tray and see how she gets on with this.
All our hay racks are custom made but I know some people on here use alternatives like hanging baskets so they might have suggestions of racks they know bunnies tend to get on with.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi daphnephoebe

Ive got hay in her litter box,she is eating from that & the rick ok. As soon as I put it back up she charges from wherever she is and proceeds to pull it down, then hops off. Odd.

Haha she doesn't like where you've put it and is being a diva by the sounds of it then :) nothing too odd really, they can be quite particular about their homes.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi daphnephoebe

Yes she is showing little bits of herself now she is settling in. Cute as she is. But a diva yes I think she is in the making.

She has used the litter box all the time for the last 2 days. Ive got a smallish one in her hutch & a big corner one in the run. So am pleased with that.

Christine x

Sometimes when they have been spayed they can get a bit naughty but they usually calm down in a couple of weeks. :thumb:

Hi All

As you all know the rescue tried to bond Lilah not many days after her being spayed and before we collected her from the rescue. it went really badly, the male attacked her etc. Even though I told the lady at the rescue not to attempt it.

So Lilah has been home with us for a month now. We took her back to the rescue yesterday to bond her with a male that had been in the hutch next to her there. We stayed for a good hour in case anything went wrong....they were in a shed together with lots of straw etc. After an hour the lady asked us to leave her another couple of hours then come back.

Well we sat at home like expectant parents, thinking we haven't had a call so no news is good news.

Went back after a couple of hours, so they had been together for 3 hours.....if harps & violins had been playing along with roses round the door we wouldn't have been shocked. SO IN LOVE!!!

Lady said there were no fights or humping, or growling etc just a little bit of chasing from Lilah at first but she stopped after half hour.

So we brought them both home ( in the 2 hours we had left her I scrubbed everything).

Let them both into the hutch ( which is now a new welfare hutch & run, no evil bars as on a previous post):) after an hour let them into the run & all is sweetness.

Ever since they are grooming each other, sleeping together, sharing same food bowl etc. Lilah goes up to him with her head low asking for a groom. Its amazing. We think its because its a male that was next to her at the rescue. We didn't even attempt it with the one that had attacked her.

He is gorgeous, ginger and we've renamed him Frankie.

So its a love match:love:

I'll try to get some pics later & post them.

Thanks

Christine x

Christine x

Lilah ^ Frankie...Lilah on the left (Diva in the making) Frankie is so chilled, hope it rubs off on her:lol:

14045602_10153828562066769_6128412825486095680_n.jpg

Last edited:
Haha it's actually easy to see which rabbit is the chilled one and which is the highly strung, just by looking at their faces :lol:

They are both very lovely and make a lovely pair :love:

Lilah has started digging today...maybe she is still hormonal(was spayed 5 weeks ago)? Now has a man about the place making her think babies? She hadn't dug until now.

I read that Rex weren't meant to be very active...erm I would argue against that one. Shes like the Duracell bunny since getting over her op.

Christine x

Lilah has started digging today...maybe she is still hormonal(was spayed 5 weeks ago)? Now has a man about the place making her think babies? She hadn't dug until now.

I read that Rex weren't meant to be very active...erm I would argue against that one. Shes like the Duracell bunny since getting over her op.

Christine x

Well I've never read that and for what it's worth neither have my three Rexes :lol: They are aged 5, 6 and 7 and are all still extremely active :lol:

I would imagine the digging has got something to do with her new friend :) Hopefully, she will get used to him being around soon.

Back