• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after neutering!

Hello.
Thank you all for your advise.
I decided I wouldn't take him to the vet as he doesn't like it in his carry case and I didn't want this to stress him out more and take us back to square one- I am aware I may regret this if he doesn't continue to get better throughout the day but I can always take him to the emergency vet later if need be as this is where he would of been going this morning anyway.
I put him outside in his original hutch after our positive start this morning to try to get him back to his usual surroundings and hopefully relax him a bit more (didn't know whether or not him being in a different place was making it worse).
This morning he has had a bit of hay. A few pellets.. I mean a small amount of pellets. And some bits of his fruit that I keep mentioning.
He is still refusing any herbs, Any hay that I try to hand feed him, Or any vegetables I try, he's just not interested.
However he has been taking the fruit every time I offer him something (which is about every hour) I know this isn't ideal. However I feel it's better than nothing.
He didn't do any poos through the night, however now he has gone back into his original hutch he is now pooing again, he also did this yesterday when I put him outside to clean his indoor pen.
Thank you all so much for your help, I'm hoping that we will continue with the slow but such a massive progress from yesterday.

Hello.
Thank you all for your advise.
I decided I wouldn't take him to the vet as he doesn't like it in his carry case and I didn't want this to stress him out more and take us back to square one- I am aware I may regret this if he doesn't continue to get better throughout the day but I can always take him to the emergency vet later if need be as this is where he would of been going this morning anyway.
I put him outside in his original hutch after our positive start this morning to try to get him back to his usual surroundings and hopefully relax him a bit more (didn't know whether or not him being in a different place was making it worse).
This morning he has had a bit of hay. A few pellets.. I mean a small amount of pellets. And some bits of his fruit that I keep mentioning.
He is still refusing any herbs, Any hay that I try to hand feed him, Or any vegetables I try, he's just not interested.
However he has been taking the fruit every time I offer him something (which is about every hour) I know this isn't ideal. However I feel it's better than nothing.
He didn't do any poos through the night, however now he has gone back into his original hutch he is now pooing again, he also did this yesterday when I put him outside to clean his indoor pen.
Thank you all so much for your help, I'm hoping that we will continue with the slow but such a massive progress from yesterday.

I do understand why you didn't take him to the vet :wave:

He's at least eating something. I am glad there's some output as well :D

Perhaps if you get out today you could get some Infacol from a chemist and give it to him? I find it invaluable, and it helps bunnies whatever the cause of their stasis.

I'm sure you've seen these, but as you're at home with him today it might be good to have some more info:

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv/basic

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thinking of you and good luck xx

Update:
Today I couldn't take any more.
After a very long day yesterday again with monitoring every little bit of food that he ate. A tiny amount of pellets and tiny amount of hay. And a larger quantity of straw!!!
And to wake up this morning to see that he had eaten not a lot this morning I decided a trip to the vet was needed.
I now have to syringe him something for the gut. A pain killer. And I have liquid food if it comes to it.
Syringing this medication sounds easier than it was .. Any tips?

Update:
After a very long day yesterday again with monitoring every little bit of food that he ate. A tiny amount of pellets and tiny amount of hay. And a larger quantity of straw!!!
And to wake up this morning to see that he had eaten not a lot this morning I decided a trip to the vet was needed.
I now have to syringe him something for the gut. A pain killer. And I have liquid food if it comes to it.

The way I syringe medication is to have the rabbit on my lap. I gently hold his head and then introduce the syringe at the side of the mouth. You will find that there is a gap between the teeth at the side where you can introduce the syringe.

If this is not successful and your rabbit struggles too much then some people wrap their rabbit up in a towel to prevent struggles (bunny burrito - I think there are YouTube videos) and then introduce the syringe at the side.

If it really is impossible to syringe the medication into your rabbit, then you will need to disguise it somehow in food, but that will not be very easy to do, if your rabbit is not eating very much. Also it is far better to syringe it, as then you know he has received the correct dose.

I hope it goes well.

Very good advice from Omi :wave:

Only thing I would add is that if you need to go down the bunny burrito route those youtube videos make it look a LOT easier than it is! I always found mine would shoot out of the towel before I could wrap and tuck their feet in. In the end I found the easiest way was to place the towel in the bottom of an empty bathtub and wrap them in there as being in a restricted space made it harder for them to run off.

Good luck with the syringe feeds and I hope your bun is feeling better soon xx

Update:

Hi Alexandra

I'm sorry you're getting ground down by all this. Bunny illnesses are very wearing, it's true.

This is how I syringe feed a bunny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

I personally use 1 ml syringes, so it can take forever if they are eating a lot, but I find that works best for me.

Also, to make the food a little tastier I add the recovery formula to some Ella's Kitchen organic baby food. Carrot and apple, or banana always goes down well with my buns.

Good luck xx

Back