• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Non Toxic Hedge?

Ceretrea

Warren Scout
Wasn't sure where to post this:-

Is there a good evergreen hedging plant I can install which will not be toxic to bunnies? I don't want to plant a hedge that will be decimated either given the bunnies will be free ranging. We need to plant a hedge in front of our back fence to stop the bloomin thing being blown over every year so I am in need of some advice please. Deciduous hedge will make the fence too vulnerable during winter storms.

rosemary plants turn into wonderful hedging plants....might take a eyar or so tho....

i had them in my old garden..i picked off bits off the main plant and planted them and they took and i had loads of plants which were turning itno hedges..the lady i swapped hosues with dug them all out and my pear tree afetr saying shes love it.

rosemary is yummy to buns and not bad for them.....i had a huge woody old overgown lavendar which works well too. but doesnt get as tall as rosemary.

rosemary plants turn into wonderful hedging plants....might take a eyar or so tho....

i had them in my old garden..i picked off bits off the main plant and planted them and they took and i had loads of plants which were turning itno hedges..the lady i swapped hosues with dug them all out and my pear tree afetr saying shes love it.

rosemary is yummy to buns and not bad for them.....i had a huge woody old overgown lavendar which works well too. but doesnt get as tall as rosemary.

I read that Rosemary doesn't like windy spots? This fence gets battered two or three times a year in seasonal storms so whatever gets planted in front would presumably take a beating?

I saw Tree Purslane (Aptriplex halimus) which is apprently ideal for coastal, windy areas. Its edible and tastes like spinach to people, I don't know if its safe for bunnies. I might mesh round to stop them destroying it but obviously needs to be safe for them to nibble on.

I also need to think on what to do with the damned Ivy. Its grows in from next door like the plague and has been stripped back twice since we moved in. I read conflicting info on this plant, some say only berries are toxic, some say all parts are toxic and some that it is ok in small quantities?

Depending on the answer to this, the bunnies may not be able to free range past a certain point down our garden as w cannot control the Ivy spread there at all.

sorry for rambling..:)

Very slow growing but Box hedging is great for buns, it's not particularly bunny edible but they seem to not touch it at all! My buns will nibble anything in a pot so all things on our patio in pots are higher than my buns AND bunny safe....rose, willow etc....but I have two mini Box plants in tiny pots and they NEVER touch a leaf :D

Hazel makes wonderful hedging and is VERY bunny safe and you can feed them the leaves and branches as well. My dad has a hazel hedge and he is on a very windy exposed hill on coastal Somerset!

Ivy according to my vet written book is safe in small amounts as long as not in berry. Most Ivy over here is Common English Ivy and is not poisonous as such, Posion Ivy itself is quite a rare species and not sure it even occurs over here. We have Ivy here in our garden and my buns pinch the odd leaf (which is fine) but generally, they only do this in winter when there is nothing much else to nibble in the garden. So I personally wouldn't worry about it at all. When they go to my dad's on holiday they run free under supervision and he has a privet hedge - they didn't touch that either, or the Ivy - not interested. Privet isn't safe though I don't think.
Myrtle isn't overtly posionous either - we have a Myrtle bush here - they don't touch it. My buns are REAL nibblers too! Hope that helps :):wave:

Very slow growing but Box hedging is great for buns, it's not particularly bunny edible but they seem to not touch it at all! My buns will nibble anything in a pot so all things on our patio in pots are higher than my buns AND bunny safe....rose, willow etc....but I have two mini Box plants in tiny pots and they NEVER touch a leaf :D

Hazel makes wonderful hedging and is VERY bunny safe and you can feed them the leaves and branches as well. My dad has a hazel hedge and he is on a very windy exposed hill on coastal Somerset!

Ivy according to my vet written book is safe in small amounts as long as not in berry. Most Ivy over here is Common English Ivy and is not poisonous as such, Posion Ivy itself is quite a rare species and not sure it even occurs over here. We have Ivy here in our garden and my buns pinch the odd leaf (which is fine) but generally, they only do this in winter when there is nothing much else to nibble in the garden. So I personally wouldn't worry about it at all. When they go to my dad's on holiday they run free under supervision and he has a privet hedge - they didn't touch that either, or the Ivy - not interested. Privet isn't safe though I don't think.
Myrtle isn't overtly posionous either - we have a Myrtle bush here - they don't touch it. My buns are REAL nibblers too! Hope that helps :):wave:

Thank you for the reply.

I will be putting Hazel down the end of the garden to bolster an old hedge down there with is full of something with vicious thorns. The end of the garden has hitherto been unaccessible for the kids as one got a thorn through the shoe shortly after we moved in. I'll put the Hazel in front and mesh fence around when the bunnies come as the chainlink down there isn't very secure.

Thats what got me thinking of the mesh round the other hedge when we put it in. We need something evergreen to give us privacy should the fence come down and the mesh is to make sure the bunnies can still be let out even if the fence comes down if that makes sense?

Thanks for the info on the Ivy, this stuff nevers sems to berry at all though, so should be safe then. I'll have to post some garden pics at some point..its due for a refurb.

Just check your ivy is ivy and not russian vine! (Pathenocisis - sp?)

Bay is a wonderful bunny safe evergreen too! :wave:

Just check your ivy is ivy and not russian vine! (Pathenocisis - sp?)

Bay is a wonderful bunny safe evergreen too! :wave:

Its def Ivy :)

I like Bay and will have a little 'herb' corner so,ewhere when its all finished *crosses fingers*. Bunny proofed against taste testing :p Bay and Rosemary (potted), sage, thyme, Mint (potted) etc :love:

okay, back to this topic again..sorry ;)

Rosemary - won't grow under the shade of the leylandii apparently..boo

Hazel - Was dead set on this until a friend showed me her HUGE overgrown hazel tree...eep.

Box - Grows well in shade or sun apparently good choice if bunnies won't touch as previous poster said.

BUT...

Anything we plant that will grow enormous without attention will result in us being billed by the housing association for removal of said plant when we leave if the new tenants lose control of it. This is the official position of the landlords.

So its going to have to be either pots (v.expensive) or something that grows to around 6 foot max, 2 foot to 3 foot spread max.

So, is there a kind of box that won't take over or any other suggestions? Has to be tolerant of shade aswell as sun.

This is really doing my head in so really appreciate any input :?

Back