• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No rabbit food anywhere

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
I've just been out to Wilko to buy rabbit food and there shelf's are bare... just dog and cat food. They normally have lots of varieties so if they didn't have one type they would have another but this time they have none. Its the musli mix I am hunting for...

They have a small bowl of musli mix every morning but now they will have to go without. All I have for them are those mint pellets which are not really good for them in large amounts and hay.

I've been to every grocery store I could find but they don't sell rabbit food. I haven't checked Asda yet because I have to travel a fair way to get to an Asda. The pet shops had none apart from one pet shop selling tiny bags for 7 pounds each theses are literally a handful in each bag that he had took from a larger bag to make more money. I said I'm not paying 7 pounds per bag. That will last one day.

Its ridiculous that this is happening. I shouldn't have to hunt for rabbit food.

I really don't like giving them too much of those mint nuggets, they will literally have to live of hay until I can find something. I can get it online but its more expensive online and then I have to wait in for delivery.

AI have some oatmeal I know oatmeal might be to starchy for rabbits but is there anything I can buy like some ingredients to make a bag for bunny food?

They really don't need many pellets per day - this has been covered before when you ran out of pellets. Meusli mix is not recommended as they selectively feed from it and it's associated with dental issues longer term - not many brands still produce it. There's nothing wrong with hay-only. I would just cut right down on the pellets you have so that they will last until you manage to find some more.

I find the pellets are much cheaper online. If it's delivered by DPD or Yodel, you get a short time slot so you know when it will arrive. Some places will allow you to order online and collect in store, so you can go at your own convenience. Wilko seem to have a good range, and they do click & collect.

As Shimmer says pellets are much much better than muesli. Ebay sells excel, usually free postage too. Not sure how it compares to the Aldi price but could be worth a try. Not sure how much you're feeding but if a £7 bag would last 1 day it sounds like it could be too much. Mine get 15g a day to share between 2.

Edit - could also try Amazon as they have those click and collect lockers popping up everywhere. Price seems really reasonable too 3kg for less than a tenner. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burgess-Ex...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Last edited:
If it's just museli mix you are looking for it's not recommended so best to just stick to an egg up full of pellets (mint pellets sound like Burgess excel? which is good) and unlimited hay for each rabbit so no problem if you can't find any muesli, hopefully shops are phasing it out and should only sell pellets.

I don't have to worry about selective feeding with my bunnies as they eat pretty quickly. When I give them a bowl of musli mix in the mornings its gone in less than a few minutes then they get hay for the rest of the day. They still need to eat something else as well as there hay because they might start to get thin.

I'll just give them an egg cup of those pellets each morning. Hopefully they will get fed enough from the hay. I do worry about whether they will get what they need from just the hay.

Last edited:
As Shimmer says pellets are much much better than muesli. Ebay sells excel, usually free postage too. Not sure how it compares to the Aldi price but could be worth a try. Not sure how much you're feeding but if a £7 bag would last 1 day it sounds like it could be too much. Mine get 15g a day to share between 2.

Edit - could also try Amazon as they have those click and collect lockers popping up everywhere. Price seems really reasonable too 3kg for less than a tenner. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burgess-Ex...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

I can get 2KG of those from Sainsburys for 3.50. Still works out cheaper.

None of the Aldi stores near me sell bunny food. Maybe its just the big stores that sell it.

I can destress now and just use the excel mint pellets for there morning feed. They are used to routine so I hope they will be ok.

Last edited:
I don't have to worry about selective feeding with my bunnies as they eat pretty quickly. When I give them a bowl of musli mix in the mornings its gone in less than a few minutes then they get hay for the rest of the day. They still need to eat something else as well as there hay because they might start to get thin.

I'll just give them an egg cup of those pellets each morning. Hopefully they will get fed enough from the hay. I do worry about whether they will get what they need from just the hay.

It's not just the selective feeding, the ingredients in muesli mix isn't that good for them.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/diet/muesli

I can get 2KG of those from Sainsburys for 3.50. Still works out cheaper.

None of the Aldi stores near me sell bunny food. Maybe its just the big stores that sell it.

I can destress now and just use the excel mint pellets for there morning feed. They are used to routine so I hope they will be ok.
It's a special buy atm!
ca86256d35372e3090c5729b2996e03f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

That looks better than what I've got. I'll order a few of those bags. I want my bunnies to stay as healthy as possible.

Muesli mix isn't good for them. Tesco have Excel pellets which are fine in small amounts. Yes, they have added mint but it's the herb not the sweet.

'Hopefully they will get fed enough from the hay. I do worry about whether they will get what they need from just the hay.'

They should have greens as well. Dusty usually has a small amount of Excel pellets, dark lettuce leaves and two small slices of apple plus unlimited hay. At the moment she has Wild Mountain Hay from P @ H, around £7 a bag.

Last edited:
Muesli mix isn't good for them. Tesco have Excel pellets which are fine in small amounts. Yes, they have added mint but it's the herb not the sweet.

'Hopefully they will get fed enough from the hay. I do worry about whether they will get what they need from just the hay.'

They should have greens as well. Dusty usually has a small amount of Excel pellets, dark lettuce leaves and two small slices of apple plus unlimited hay. At the moment she has Mountain Hay from P @ H, around £7 a bag.

Thanks I ordered some Excel pellets. I bought them a bag of green Timothy hay even though I have hay already I just like giving them different varieties and saw a green bag in the pet store which felt nice and crunchy. My bunnies eat like there is no tomorrow... apart from LambChop he doesn't eat all his food in one go, he eats in moderation but the other two eat like they are starving.

I would like to do some wild foraging for them in the summer. I used to buy greens for them but I kept reading about every single vegetable being bad for them because it was either to gassy or contained high sugar content. Dark green lettuce is the only thing, other than that its grass herbs.

Dandelions are growing well at the moment. Don't pick them from path / verge edges that may have been sprayed with herbicides.

Dandelions are growing well at the moment. Don't pick them from path / verge edges that may have been sprayed with herbicides.

I would always give anything a good wash I feed to my bunnies just encase. I pick the young willow branch bits but I don/t have to worry too much about those but anything on the ground gets a good wash. I think I know where lots of fennel might be growing this summer. I like Dandelions because all of the plant can be eaten including the roots but the bunnies will get the leaves.

I would always give anything a good wash I feed to my bunnies just encase. I pick the young willow branch bits but I don/t have to worry too much about those but anything on the ground gets a good wash. I think I know where lots of fennel might be growing this summer. I like Dandelions because all of the plant can be eaten including the roots but the bunnies will get the leaves.

I've just spotted a 10kg bag of Wagg Rabbit Nuggets on Amazon for £14.

You can't wash off herbicide - it gets taken up into the plant - that's how it kills the plant. Don't risk feeding anything from the edges of paths or verges if there's a chance it has been sprayed. The councils round here have all been spraying herbicide on verges in the last couple of weeks. Unless you've seen it being done, you won't be able to tell until the plants start to go yellow after a few days.

Back