• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newly bonded bunnies - are we doing it right

ashbunny

Alpha Buck
Hi all, Ash has a new husbun :love: His name is Bailey and we brought him home on Saturday after the rescue bonded them both.

I've no experience with newly bonded bunnies so I'm not sure if we're doing everything right. The rescue said it was a very easy mix and only took a few days.
We have kept them in a smaller space than I would like at home because I've read that's the right thing to do? The space is about 5ft x 3ft. They get on OK in there sleeping together and snuggling up although I haven't seen them grooming each other. Bailey humps Ash sometimes but she doesn't seem to mind that much. We let them out in the lounge last night and I suppose as Ash is used to being in there all the time/that being 'her' territory she started chasing him and getting annoyed so we put them back in the smaller area. They generally do share food although Bailey normally ends up with Ash's leftovers. We have also put them in a run outside and they are fine out there too.

Does this sound ok? I was thinking of keeping them in the smaller area for a week or two then gradually making it larger so they have access to the whole of downstairs eventually (like Ash normally does)? Just hate keeping them in such a small space, I guess.

Rabbits don't always groom each other. Sometimes it's both grooming, sometimes it's a one way thing or sometimes neither groom.

I wouldn't let them run around again for a bit, also try to keep them in one area and not introduce another for a while too. I know they're in a small space but if you rush it then you could risk their bond not progressing and breaking down. Just remember, it's only temporary.

I kept my bonding pair in a 4x2 hutch for 5 days, then 5x2 for 2 days, 6ft for a day then let them have the run too. With the indoor pair we kept them in a 1x1x1x1 puppy pen for a while and slowly extended over 2 weeks before giving them their room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hi,
Sounds like its all going well. Often when you move them, or suddenly make the space bigger, or venture into non-neutral territory they can take a step backwards bonding wise, but it usually only takes a day or so to get back to where they were. I would keep them in the same space for a few days longer and just gradually increase it, keeping an eye out for any aggressive behaviour, ideally don't increase until you have maybe two days with no humping etc.
Don't worry about no grooming, I bonded one of my pairs back in July, it was such an easy bond, no humping, nipping, chasing whatsoever, but they followed each other around like they were on elastic, and they have only just started grooming in the last few weeks.

Sigh. Unfortunately we have to feed Ash separately cos of her issues and it's turning out to be a real pain cos she eats so slowly that if we feed them together Bailey eats all her food first, so I took her out the cage briefly to feed her and when she went back in he started humping her again. Maybe he does it when we're not here as well, I'll try and keep her in there in future.

Is Ash a female? It sounds like it's going really well :)

I encouraged grooming by smearing banana onto Blossom's head, and Leo groomed it off.. They've been bonded almost 2 weeks now and it's still Leo who does all the grooming! Not seen Blossom do it once haha.

Sometimes it's a 2 way thing, where both bunnies groom each other, but other times it's just 1 bunny who grooms the other.

Small space is good, if all goes well increase it a little!

Good luck:love:

Yes Ash is the female and Bailey the male :) Haha confusing names...

I think I was worrying too much about the occasional mounting.

I'll try the banana trick thank you :)

Picture!

photo-29_zps2cbc0ba9.jpg

I haven't seen them snuggling in awhile but I'm not here most of the day so hopefully they're doing it then. :thumb:

They've been in their cage since we brought them back on saturday apart from that one occasion so we let them out into a very slightly bigger area tonight and almost immediately Ash started chasing him again over the food. IDK what to do now. They are back in their cage now (out of choice, both went back in) and now they are lying next to each other. Perhaps this is normal. I'm not sure the cage is working generally though so I'm going to try and get a puppy pen or similar and increase that gradually.

Well they seem ok together, but aren't snuggling/grooming still although I'm definitely going to try the banana trick when I get some bananas ;) They will sit together and eat together but tbh they seem to be mostly ignoring each other. I'm torn between keeping them how it is for now or opening up the space for them like some people have had success with, maybe they'll just ignore each other more.

We are taking them to vets later (Ash has to go in for a check) so that may help..

I've just bonded a trio and whilst I believe the bond has worked in that they're all getting alone just fine, none of them have been snuggling or grooming. My original duo will still snuggle and the newcomer will snuggle with one of them but they never lie together as a trio. As long as they're all happy in each other's company and there's no fighting then I'm OK with that. They have bunny company and that's the main thing.

I've just bonded a trio and whilst I believe the bond has worked in that they're all getting alone just fine, none of them have been snuggling or grooming. My original duo will still snuggle and the newcomer will snuggle with one of them but they never lie together as a trio. As long as they're all happy in each other's company and there's no fighting then I'm OK with that. They have bunny company and that's the main thing.

Same with my quad (who are on their second day). Tessie and Daisy will cuddle with Frosty but Snowflake is always slightly apart from the group. At least he isnt alone any more. Not much grooming here either. Tessie grooms Daisy. Whenever Frosty grooms it is always rather fierce, not relaxing.

:thumb:

Well we bought some baby gates so we could cordon off the room property instead of using makeshift furniture and cages but the first one didn't fit in the doorway and the second Ash managed to squeeze half way through and got stuck :shock: (I was there so obv pulled her out quickly, the gaps are so small between the bars I had no idea she would even attempt it) so we thought, sod it. Cleaned the entire downstairs with vinegar/water (house has never looked so clean..!) and let them loose, seems to be going v well :thumb: Have seen them snuggling together and grooming (well Bailey grooming Ash not the other way round :lol:) several times now. :love:

That's great news :D it just shows there's no one size fits all approach to the bonding process, it's obviously just what they needed :love:

Hi I have been bonding my two and on week two i was worried they weren't bonding well just tolerating each other, but over the last few days they have been inseparable where one goes so does the other one ... think they as still deciding who is boss as the are still both grooming ... I hope your bonding is still going well always nice to read other experiences :D

Back