• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbits

:roll: I agree I think that you should get a sheep or two for your daughter or go and buy the wool.

On a personal note I got a cardigan with Angora in it from M & S for Christmas, please tell me they are buying it from a reputable supplier someone, just going to google it :cry:

:roll: I agree I think that you should get a sheep or two for your daughter or go and buy the wool.

On a personal note I got a cardigan with Angora in it from M & S for Christmas, please tell me they are buying it from a reputable supplier someone, just going to google it :cry:

No idea about M&S, but would be interested to know what you find out. Think most Angora wool used in the UK comes from China :(

I would home M&S source eithically but you never know... :(

:cry: I can't believe I didn't twig it was rabbit fur, I thought it was goat! Apparently fur from the angora goat is called mohair. I think M & S appear to pay lip service the RSPCA '5 freedoms' as per the animal welfare act however, yes on the cardigan label it says made in Thailand! Is it really realistic to think they will source a good breeder who is doing this in a nice way and then ship the spun wool over to Thailand - grrrrrr it makes me so mad that these massive companies can't do the right thing like they say they do, it's all money money money - they couldn't care two hoots about the animal welfare I expect. Ironically they are seeking advice from the RSPCA about the '5 freedoms' in the animal welfare act, well as I have personal experience the RSPCA only seem to enforce about 2 or 3 of the 5 freedoms anyway before deeming a breeder to be 'alright' grrrrrrrrrrrrr :censored:

with my old frenchie doe and my bertie being plucked and combed...i could spin enough fur into wool for the whole of hampshire:lol::lol:

gods i miss old willow...her fur was like a teddy bear.
i love berties fur hes a walking dandelion clock:shock::lol:

omg i never knew angora wool was only from buns and mohair was goats....:shock:

what a sad thought:cry:

I suppose I thought a goat might have a higher chance of having a decent life even if bred for wool but, rabbits could just be stuck in tiny hutches eurghhhh it's just awful to think about it, hopefully there are some decent people looking after them properly and allowing them to have a decent life while taking the wool - the wool thing I don't have an issue with - if done properly it doesn't cause pain or anything-it's just how they are living while the wool is 'growing'??

This user has come to get advice not be made responsible for the practices of supermarkets and consumers. There are plenty of individual spinners that keep one or two pets and also use the wool - it doesn't hurt the animal.

I suggest if you have something to add it should be a balanced and useful answer instead off at a tangent assuming the worst.

This user has come to get advice not be made responsible for the practices of supermarkets and consumers. There are plenty of individual spinners that keep one or two pets and also use the wool - it doesn't hurt the animal.

I suggest if you have something to add it should be a balanced and useful answer instead off at a tangent assuming the worst.

I agree it did go on a tangent (not intentional) and I haven't suggested that the OP is reponsible for the practices of supermarkets and consumers. I am glad to hear that there are individual spinners keeping pets and producing the wool and I know it doesn't hurt the animal. Why am I always the one who seems to be getting a 'telling off'. There are plenty of other posts on this thread not particularly helpful to the OP !:(

There are plenty of other posts on this thread not particularly helpful to the OP !:(

Hence my post was a reminder to everyone that they should post in a helpful way.. Where did I mention you? If it was to a specific user I would have sent it to that user.

i agree vicki.......its not intentional at the OP.
Its a good hting tomake folks aware of the practice...ims ure my mum will be in tears if i tell her how her gloves came about.

the op would indeed fare better with goats....a bigger size and quantity..

wool is an allergenic substance BUT it says one typ eof wool is actually hypoallergenic!!!

id love one of these as a pet.sounds like a corss between a ginat bunny and a goat and a donkey!! ive laways thought they were lovley looking animals too.
And in north america theyre regarded as a domesticated/pet animal.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Alpaca

here is somehting that may help the OP...its only brief..and see the pic that says spinning direct from rabbit.......
its a very expensive thing to happily hosue and care for rabbits esp angoras and make enough money form psinning the fur.
HOWEVER there may be many rabbit owners/breeders who are more than willing to donate enough fur to fill the requirements of your daughetrs project.:wave:

http://mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm/angora_rabbit_wool

She asked what the price were and what breed, that dosent mean her and her daughter know nothing about rabbits :?

She asked what the price were and what breed, that dosent mean her and her daughter know nothing about rabbits :?

Sorry fo that assumption, it does say that they are "New to rabbits" in the thread title though...

To the OP:
It would probably be angoras which would be best for collecting wool from.

Start up costs:

Up to about £400 for suitable accomodation
About £20-60 for the actual rabbit (rabbits are social animals and need to live together)
£50-100 per rabbit for neutering

Maintenance Costs:

Pellets: about £1 per rabbit per week
Hay: One bale is about £5 and lasts a 3-4 weeks
Vegetables: £3+ per rabbit per week
Bedding/Litter £3 per rabbit per week
VHD Vaccination around £15 per rabbit per year
Myxi Vaccination around £15 per rabbit per year/ six months depending

Vet Costs:

Can run into the thousands. It is illegal to deny a rabbit medical care when it needs it.

Sorry fo that assumption, it does say that they are "New to rabbits" in the thread title though...

To the OP:
It would probably be angoras which would be best for collecting wool from.

Start up costs:

Up to about £400 for suitable accomodation
About £20-60 for the actual rabbit (rabbits are social animals and need to live together)
£50-100 per rabbit for neutering

Maintenance Costs:

Pellets: about £1 per rabbit per week
Hay: One bale is about £5 and lasts a 3-4 weeks
Vegetables: £3+ per rabbit per week
Bedding/Litter £3 per rabbit per week
VHD Vaccination around £15 per rabbit per year
Myxi Vaccination around £15 per rabbit per year/ six months depending

Vet Costs:

Can run into the thousands. It is illegal to deny a rabbit medical care when it needs it.

prices are different in the USA/Canada:)

Back