• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to Rabbits...looking for help before we buy!!

Have a look at the runaround stuff too as it is really fab(if expensive). My two love it and they are very helpful people too

I can definitely second getting buns from the Rabbit Residence, it's a flipping brilliant place! We got Luna from there and Caroline is so helpful, and will help you out with anything. I also highly recommend taking your time to do research, my bunnies turned out to be more expensive/hard work/brilliant than I had first imagined!
If you think rabbits are definitely right for you then definitely have a chat with Caroline. Have a really good read around on here, and remember it can't be a considered enough decision. Bunnies, however, are wonderful :love:

I can definitely second getting buns from the Rabbit Residence, it's a flipping brilliant place! We got Luna from there and Caroline is so helpful, and will help you out with anything. I also highly recommend taking your time to do research, my bunnies turned out to be more expensive/hard work/brilliant than I had first imagined!
If you think rabbits are definitely right for you then definitely have a chat with Caroline. Have a really good read around on here, and remember it can't be a considered enough decision. Bunnies, however, are wonderful :love:

:thumb:

also....just thought...buns can live to up to 10 -15 years....so if you do decide to get some bunnies....consider their age...if you feel that thats a long commitment...but would still like to adopt a rescue pair of buns...you could consider an older pair...they are often over looked...still just as gorgeous...and the rescue will know their history and personalities too..so will consider you have children etc...so exciting!:wave:

They have arrived....

Thanks for all the advice,

It's been a while since I posted but we now have 2 rabbits.
Went to Rabbit Residence and Caroline was really helpful. She does an incredible job.

Went to see them all about 3 weeks ago, chose 2 and Caroline delivered them today

I'll post pictures soon, today was just wet and miserable, kids cant stop talking about them. They wouldn't go to bed etc

Eventually built an aviary and made a hutch.

any advice regarding insurance?

Fab on the rescue bunnies, keep us all updated! As for insurance I can't give advice as I personally don't have any for my two but others do :) there's pros and cons

Thanks Cookie Crisp.

I had a look at a few policies but the excess seems to outweigh the cost of the insurance.

May just pay as we go and see how it goes.

Awesome, I can't wait for pictures!
If you can't decide on insurance, why not put £10 - £20 a month away in a vet fund each month?

Congratulations on your new bunnies. Your set-up sounds great! Can't wait to see pictures of the buns and their home! Love cute photos :love::love::love::love:

I've never thought insurance was actually worth it... we ended up shelling out £1000 on vets bills for my last pair of bunnies, but the insurance would have still been more than that, plus excess on top.

Instead we have money put aside for vet emergencies, and we would always find the money if anything more serious came up (as we did with out last pair, and have done with these two so far). I think that works best for us- money is available if we need it for any unexpected rabbit costs, but doesn't go to an insurance company if they are fine. :D

However I have talked to other people who found insurance really useful. I think it depends on your situation. And I can see how having insurance would be a life-send if your bunny got really sick! I'd hate to have to make the decision on whether or not to continue my buns life based on money. :(

From what I've seen this place is full of real bunny lovers, but there is a mix of people with insurance and people without! So I don't think there is a right and wrong choice. :)

How lovely. You did lots of research and now you have bunnies with fantastic accommodation !

Thanks Cookie Crisp.

I had a look at a few policies but the excess seems to outweigh the cost of the insurance.

May just pay as we go and see how it goes.

The way I see it is that a year's insurance may be less than the price of an out of hours emergency vet consultation (depending where you go - the rabbit savvy vet in Herts is said on here to be quite pricey as well).
After the experiences I had with ill rabbits I would always recommend insurance. But people may see it differently if they had many years of healthy animals, or animals with expensive problems that insurance would never pay for such as dentals. Petplan cover for life was the most comprehensive last time I read much about insurance, but more companies are insuring rabbits now so there are more alternatives. The thing is that if you take insurance out AFTER a problem has occurred the insurance won't cover it, or if you're lucky and the problem doesn't recur for many years, they may only cover it after that long lapse of time.

Insurance is a debate on this forum that comes up time and time again!

You'll never get a straight answer out of any of us! Some of us insure, some don't!

I didn't insure my last bunny, Harry, and it was certainly the right decision as although he never went without vet care it saved me a lot of money not to insure.

My current bunny is also not insured. Who knows if that's the right decision? If he gets ill I'd pay the bills.

One thing to perhaps take into account when thinking about insurance is the opening hours of your local vet... do they open Sundays/evenings etc or do they charge you a massive emergency fee? Obviously the middle of the night is different but some places charge extra even for Sundays (my vet doesn't, so I'd only have to pay for emergency cover in the early hours, so the odds are much smaller).

And of course, Ludo has a problem that the insurance wouldn't cover anyway, so it seems pointless insuring him!

Thanks for all the advice,

It's been a while since I posted but we now have 2 rabbits.
Went to Rabbit Residence and Caroline was really helpful. She does an incredible job.

Went to see them all about 3 weeks ago, chose 2 and Caroline delivered them today

I'll post pictures soon, today was just wet and miserable, kids cant stop talking about them. They wouldn't go to bed etc

Eventually built an aviary and made a hutch.

any advice regarding insurance?

Well done welcome to bunny family.
So glad you did the research and have bunnies from a rescue and have a lovely
set up for hem to live in.
You will get hours of pleasure from them.
Look forward to some pictures.
What are their names?
Well done again.

Congratulations! Looking forward to pics.

Personally I will always insure now. I was putting 50 quid a month aside (more than i would have paid for insurance- i had 5 at the time) and one got an intestinal obstruction and blew the bunny savings(and a good bit more) away! Some years I claim and its worth it, some years its not but it means i avoid that again!

Awesome, I can't wait for pictures!
If you can't decide on insurance, why not put £10 - £20 a month away in a vet fund each month?

This is the most amazing idea ever! Why didn't I think of this. At the beginning of the year, before she died, I was going to insure Misty. Most places I tried getting a quote from wouldn't insure her because she was 4+, because rabbits have a greater risk of dental disease. I'm glad I didn't bother tbh because the ones that would were £11 something a month.

I have just put £20 in an envelope and given it my OH to put away safe so its not a temptation for me to spend it, and told him I'll give him more every time I get paid, depending on what I have to pay out. That will be soley for any vet bills Lola might have. Thanks for that! :wave:

i have insurance for all 3 of my bunnies, although i was unlucky and mu got really ill during the 14 week lapse when the insurance started :roll: but i'm keeping him covered because it's not too expensive, especially as having 3 gives you a multipet discount. i never used to have insurance when i just had one cat and put away money the same as others, but now that we have 11 pets it would be too risky to blow the savings on one emergency only to be faced with another sick animal and no fund left!! so i think either way is fine, and it just depends on your financial situation and whether you think it would ever come to a decision on whether or not to have your bun pts solely due to money.

also, more importantly, can we please see pictures of the new bunnies!! :D

Hi there!

Not to discourage you but rabbits aren't always the best pets for children. They don't like being picked up or held, and are easily injured if mishandled. The shelter I volunteer with don't recommend children handle the bunnies at all, and interact with them only when supervised by an adult. That said, if you have realistic expectations about what a bunny can offer you, it can definitely work!

DEFINITELY rescue. In the UK, there are over 30K rabbits in shelters. A shelter will be able to help you find a bunny that has a personality to suit you best. Also, they will already be neutered and vaccinated.

I'm sure lots of other folks here will respond helpfully but that's my first few thoughts. Maybe browse some of the section on this website to help you get a sense of caring for bunnies!

AMETHYST

Hey Amethyst you are from Oakland! I landed there when I went to visit my aunt years ago. She lives in Sacramento. What a great place California is. Lucky you :wave:

P1100267_zpsf2dffb6e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0284_zps692e8378.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We've called them Mitu and Muri (Gujarati for Salt and Pepper)

Hope photos upload OK

Back