• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New small animal magazine

I've not bought it, just looked at their website. I really hope that aren't promoting those awful Ovo hamster/gerbil cages pictured. They are digusting! Far too small for anything but a travel cage and vetillation is poor.

I've got a copy of it and I think it is quiet good actually. What do you all think?

The introducing chinchillas piece is informative Jenova.

Lau:thumb:

Oh I've just found them on Facebook. Search Small Furry Pets, they are asking for readers to send in their animal pics :)

Will have to send them a pic of George!!
:thumb:

I'd love to work on it! I've just graduated so would love to do an internship in an animal magazine.

I'm just happy that there is a promising animal magazine out, I work part time in a petshop and majority of people who want to buy pets (especially rabbits and hamster) have NO idea on the basic needs. So I'm all for small animal mags and books!

Lau :thumb:

I am really dissappointed with this magazine, just to share a few choice quotes regarding rabbits, not to mention some other horrific quites regarding other animals.

"guinea pigs and rabbits may easily live 5-6 years"
"provision of hay will help supplement your pets regular diet" :?
"the age you buy a rabbit is important, try to obtain a youngster about 2 months old"
"the neutering surgery is difficult and costly for females" (rabbits) :shock:

It's interesting

I am really dissappointed with this magazine, just to share a few choice quotes regarding rabbits, not to mention some other horrific quites regarding other animals.

"guinea pigs and rabbits may easily live 5-6 years"
"provision of hay will help supplement your pets regular diet" :?
"the age you buy a rabbit is important, try to obtain a youngster about 2 months old"
"the neutering surgery is difficult and costly for females" (rabbits) :shock:

I enjoyed reading it, and while you may not agree with all of it, why take quotes out of context? They are talking about meadow hay as winter bedding - the article is about wintertime care for rabbits and guinea pigs living outdoors, not what you regularly feed your rabbit, and what is wrong with getting a young rabbit? The vets I know charge £60 to neuter a buck, and £80 to neuter a doe so it does cost more and I think it's responsible to point this out so people know what to expect - and that their rabbits may need vaccinating too.

I enjoyed reading it, and while you may not agree with all of it, why take quotes out of context? They are talking about meadow hay as winter bedding - the article is about wintertime care for rabbits and guinea pigs living outdoors, not what you regularly feed your rabbit, and what is wrong with getting a young rabbit? The vets I know charge £60 to neuter a buck, and £80 to neuter a doe so it does cost more and I think it's responsible to point this out so people know what to expect - and that their rabbits may need vaccinating too.

Did the article also explain that by not spaying a doe then she will almost certainly get uterine cancer?

Those prices for a spay and neuter are about average, I've seen more expensive. Plus if someone can't afford that, then how are they going to afford the hundreds a proper outdoor setup requires? Or emergency veterinary care?

Rabbits aren't cheap.

Did the article also explain that by not spaying a doe then she will almost certainly get uterine cancer?

Those prices for a spay and neuter are about average, I've seen more expensive. Plus if someone can't afford that, then how are they going to afford the hundreds a proper outdoor setup requires? Or emergency veterinary care?

Rabbits aren't cheap.

It's not actually in an article - it's just mentioned in the answer to a question asking "what points should I check when buying a pet rabbit?". So what is the most expensive neutering charge that you know of? I agree with you. Rabbits are not cheap pets. They do say elsewhere about getting insurance for emergencies, and that vet care for bunnies is more than for other small pets - people do need to be aware of the costs.

Back