• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you seen the new 80cm cage from Pets @ Home.

I wonder who at P@H decides that it's "suitable"? :shock:

Their Head of Pets is a fully-qualified vet. I wonder if she has confirmed that it's "suitable"? :roll:

Maybe the Sales & Marketing Department have confirmed that it's "suitable" because the P@H stores can shift the product at that price?

To be fair lots of vets admit they are not the best people to advise on welfare issues (assuming they are not causing health problems), my vet sends people to a local animal shelter where they know people will be given good advice if clients as them questions about cages, hutches etc.

I think P@H should be working a bit closer with the RSPCA and other organisations such as the RWAF in order to try and come to some sort of agreement on housing so that animals bought in pet shops get a fair deal and those getting rescue animals from elsewhere have somewhere sensible to buy housing should they choose to use P@H

When you consider 70cm is the minimum length for a hamster cage it's quite scary to think that P@H think this cage would be in any way suitable for a guinea pig.:(

When you consider 70cm is the minimum length for a hamster cage it's quite scary to think that P@H think this cage would be in any way suitable for a guinea pig.:(

And a pair of them at that. Very scary. I'm currently sitting next to my 80cm Ruffy cage as it's my rat bonding cage and I have rats to bond this afternoon. I can't imagine putting guinea pigs in there long term.

that's exactly what I was thinking. My mice have a larger cage than that :shock:
shame about the bar spacing or it could be good for hammies.

At least a lot of the "reviews" highlight that it is too small too. I'm sure if anyone wanted to then they could "review" the product to make this point clear to future purchasers..... :idea::?::angel:

To be fair lots of vets admit they are not the best people to advise on welfare issues (assuming they are not causing health problems), my vet sends people to a local animal shelter where they know people will be given good advice if clients as them questions about cages, hutches etc.

I think P@H should be working a bit closer with the RSPCA and other organisations such as the RWAF in order to try and come to some sort of agreement on housing so that animals bought in pet shops get a fair deal and those getting rescue animals from elsewhere have somewhere sensible to buy housing should they choose to use P@H

The P@H Head of Pets has already claimed that she is familiar with "welfare best practice", so she can't use that "get out".

Also, as a senior corporate manager within P@H, she can't claim that she does not have "authority" to make policy decisions.

At least a lot of the "reviews" highlight that it is too small too. I'm sure if anyone wanted to then they could "review" the product to make this point clear to future purchasers..... :idea::?::angel:

I did this, oddly enough my review hasnt been added:evil:

Back