• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Rabbit

I hope her vet visit goes well to de-matt her.

I keep meaning to come back to this thread to tell you that we used to have ex-battery chickens and one that we had that was the smallest and most sparcely feathered we named Buffy :love: aka Buffylein (litttle Buffy).

Bless you for taking in a bunny who needs you so much.
In the past I had an overweight bunny who would sometimes get matts where she could not reach. If I had to cut it myself, I found it best to not cut close to the skin. Once the fur/matt is shorter the bunny can sometimes get the rest out herself, or it will come out easier during bathing.
I also owned a couple disabled bunnies that needed regular butt baths. It was easiest for me to take a shallow plastic box and line it with a towel before adding a couple inches of plain lukewarm water. Let the bunny soak to loosen any material. Don't be too aggressive. The skin below the caked material can be irritated so don't overdo.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your lovely ball of fluff.

Thank you both. So cute that you had a chicken Buffy, Omi :love: Our Buffy is affectionally know as Fluffy Buffy :).

Although she is going to be a lot less fluffy now!

She's had her de-matting at the vets and we can pick her up at 3.30pm. Thanks for the tips 'bunny momma'. I'm going to make sure that her fur is kept on top of from now.

Will post some pics of her with her new hairdo later x

Thank you both. So cute that you had a chicken Buffy, Omi :love: Our Buffy is affectionally know as Fluffy Buffy :).

She's had her de-matting at the vets and we can pick her up at 3.30pm. Thanks for the tips 'bunny momma'. I'm going to make sure that her fur is kept on top of from now.

I'd suggest investing in a good pair of quiet, low vibration :)shock: :oops: :lol: !!!!) clippers. They can prove to be worth their weight in gold when caring for an Angora/Cashmere coated Rabbit xx

I've got a pair of the curved scissors that vets use, and they are great because they are blunt ended. As Bunny Momma said, clipping the fur close is good for the skin.

I also have clippers, but unless you know what you're doing (and have a lot of spare cash to buy them :shock:) I would stick with the scissors as they will be safer.

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at those. The vet suggested we get some clippers that don't make a noise, or are very quiet too. I'm determined to keep on top of it. Her de-matting cost £80, which I don't mind at all, but is obviously a lot of money.

Here's a pic, sorry it's not the best quality, I'll try and get some better ones:

Last edited:
Oh my goodness she's adorable :) Well done to you and your dh, you've both done such a wonderful (bunderful) thing :) x

Yay for slightly-less-fluffy Buffy being good as gold at the vet's.

That is an expensive bill, but probably worth it. I got a surprise with my latest vet bill too - £19.50 to MOT and trim my new tortoise's beak with our local exotics vet. I was planning for it to be double that. :lol:

Oh she is so cute. Looking forward to hearing how she gets on in life. She must feel so much better now that's to all of both of yours efforts

Can definitely recommend them, they were a god send, plus if you don't like them if you contact the company (they have a fb page) they will give you your money back ;). I got the ones that come with the mini scissors too for cutting around the more 'sensitive' areas!

Hey that looks good!

I usually put a comb between scissors and skin.

Can definitely recommend them, they were a god send, plus if you don't like them if you contact the company (they have a fb page) they will give you your money back . I got the ones that come with the mini scissors too for cutting around the more 'sensitive' areas

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look at those. The vet suggested we get some clippers that don't make a noise, or are very quiet too. I'm determined to keep on top of it. Her de-matting cost £80, which I don't mind at all, but is obviously a lot of money.

Here's a pic, sorry it's not the best quality, I'll try and get some better ones:

Yes, I really cant recommend a good set of clippers enough ! Glad your Vet agrees :D

Buffy is so cute :love:

Back