• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit mom-unplanned rescue

Duckmama

New Kit
Good morning and happy new year! I live in sunny Fullerton, CA and am the mother of a human, big dog, 3 cats, a cockatiel, 3 chickens, 4 ducks, betta and goldfish, and now an 11 year old, blind, unneuteted rabbit living indoors for the first time in his life.
George the bun bun is very sweet and enjoying having a penned play area outside his hutch, which he was never allowed outside before we got him. My vet says he’s very healthy and just amazing for his age. I’ve had guinea pigs in the past, but never a bunny. I’m hoping to get some useful info to help keep him healthy and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_9291.jpeg
    IMG_9291.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 8
He looks very relaxed in that picture and seems in good condition! If your vet is happy then go with whatever they say! It's very admirable of you to have taken on an elderly bun to try and give him a good home for however long he has left.

Welcome to the forum. George is lucky to have found you. I am sure he will benefit from the extra exercise area and being a house bunny.
There is a lot of care information on this web site and the members will be happy to help you with any questions.

All I can say is he's a lucky bunny, and looking fab. I've never had one older than 9 years.

Hay is the answer to lots of rabbit issues - get him eating plenty. It keeps his teeth worn down and his guts working properly. It also makes good bedding and in a litter tray for toileting. Any sign of not eating or poo changes (smaller, less of it, etc) and he needs prompt vet attention.

I would comb his coat through once a week as well. Then you get to know if anything isn't right, as well as removing loose fur which he may not be able to.

All I can say is he's a lucky bunny, and looking fab. I've never had one older than 9 years.

Hay is the answer to lots of rabbit issues - get him eating plenty. It keeps his teeth worn down and his guts working properly. It also makes good bedding and in a litter tray for toileting. Any sign of not eating or poo changes (smaller, less of it, etc) and he needs prompt vet attention.

I would comb his coat through once a week as well. Then you get to know if anything isn't right, as well as removing loose fur which he may not be able to.
Thank you so much! He loves being brushed. I’m happy to be here. 😊

Welcome to the forum. George is lucky to have found you. I am sure he will benefit from the extra exercise area and being a house bunny.
There is a lot of care information on this web site and the members will be happy to help you with any questions.
Thank you! It’s great to be here!

He looks very relaxed in that picture and seems in good condition! If your vet is happy then go with whatever they say! It's very admirable of you to have taken on an elderly bun to try and give him a good home for however long he has left.
Thank you! He is so relaxed and confident, it warms my heart. He also grunts and runs to me whenever I go to pet him. He’s so sweet.

One question I have about George, is what do I do about mating behavior? At 11 years, I’m not going to neuter him, but he wants to mate with my feet. Does anyone have suggestions for what I can do to calm him down? Someone in an unneutered bunny thread suggested a knitted sock to distract her bun. Anybody else have any experience with this?
Thanks!

The behaviour might reduce a bit once he has settled in to his new environment. If it doesn’t and he is stressing himself out all the time speak with a Rabbit Savvy Vet about him having a hormone implant. This is a chip inserted under the skin .

It would be an ‘off licence’ use, something a Vet is permitted to do following the prescribing cascade

Giving the hormonal Buck a soft toy or some other item to hump really just increases their drive to need to do it.

Ah, ok! Good to know! We have a really good vet and an appointment on Saturday. Thank you so much, both of you!
My mum loved Inspector Morse, by the way. 😊

Back