• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here and have some (probably silly) questions!

Hi

I adopted two rabbits from the RSPCA in June, they are a (neutered) boy and girl pair and are both about 18 months old and healthy. I haven't had rabbits since I was a child (and they were not kept very well I'm afraid :() and have followed the RSPCA advice for housing; they have a rabbit proofed inside room with a catflap to their outside run (on paving slabs) with tunnels to a bigger run on grass (with buried mesh to prevent digging!)

When the lady from the RSPCA came to homecheck I mentioned I was thinking of shutting them in the indoor bit at night and then just letting them outside in the day, and she said that as the runs were dig proof and secure as they could be from predators they would be happier with constant access to outside as this would be more natural for them. This has been fine all summer (and it's been really nice to look out the window early in the morning and see them out there happy eating!) but I am a bit worried now the weather is colder? I have read that sudden temperature change is not good for bunnies (their indoor bit is not heated but is joined to the rest of the house which is heated) but when I shut them in last night as it was so windy they were not happy, thumping about at 5am! I am worried that when it gets really cold they will still go outside in the frost and get ill (they don't seem so keen to go out in the rain!).

Anyway sorry for the very rambling post but my question was do you think I should start shutting them in at night (will they get used to this in the end?) or do they know best!? I had also thought of putting some sort of cosy house in their outside run but maybe this would just encourage them to stay out more? I think it is the grass they are attracted to.

Thanks if you've read this far and I would love any advice!

Hi

I adopted two rabbits from the RSPCA in June, they are a (neutered) boy and girl pair and are both about 18 months old and healthy. I haven't had rabbits since I was a child (and they were not kept very well I'm afraid :() and have followed the RSPCA advice for housing; they have a rabbit proofed inside room with a catflap to their outside run (on paving slabs) with tunnels to a bigger run on grass (with buried mesh to prevent digging!)

When the lady from the RSPCA came to homecheck I mentioned I was thinking of shutting them in the indoor bit at night and then just letting them outside in the day, and she said that as the runs were dig proof and secure as they could be from predators they would be happier with constant access to outside as this would be more natural for them. This has been fine all summer (and it's been really nice to look out the window early in the morning and see them out there happy eating!) but I am a bit worried now the weather is colder? I have read that sudden temperature change is not good for bunnies (their indoor bit is not heated but is joined to the rest of the house which is heated) but when I shut them in last night as it was so windy they were not happy, thumping about at 5am! I am worried that when it gets really cold they will still go outside in the frost and get ill (they don't seem so keen to go out in the rain!).

Anyway sorry for the very rambling post but my question was do you think I should start shutting them in at night (will they get used to this in the end?) or do they know best!? I had also thought of putting some sort of cosy house in their outside run but maybe this would just encourage them to stay out more? I think it is the grass they are attracted to.

Thanks if you've read this far and I would love any advice!

Welcome to the Forum and well done for adopting two needy rabbits :wave:

You seem to have built them a wonderful home, it sounds really terrific! If it's perfectly secure and they want to go out at night, then I would think you could let them do as they please just as in the summer. I usually prefer to keep rabbits indoors overnight and let them out during the day, but that's just because I am concerned they would get spooked by predators and perhaps damage themselves by running into something.

Rabbits don't mind the cold, and they would have the choice to stay in or go out. I don't see a problem with the temperature changes the way you've described things. Rabbits don't like the damp, and of course they may be standing out on cold and damp surfaces - you could keep a check on their hocks to make sure they are well covered with fur to protect them.

I have had rabbits who loved to go out and spend hours in the snow. It did them no harm at all. It's their choice really ... It's us humans who have to feel comfortable with the way things are, isn't it?

There is no need to shut them in - they will be fine out in their run and will soon hop back through their cat flap if they don't like the weather. Mine will happily go out in the snow - but retreat to their hutch if it is windy. Rabbits are naturally at their most active at dawn and dusk and so appreciate permanent access to their runs.

Edited to add: I cross-posted with MightyMax, saying basically the same thing!

Last edited:
Agree with MightyMax and Babsie. Mine are in a shed with 24/7 access to an aviary run and I just let them get on with it. No problems at all. They have lived like this for most of their lives (they are all three years old).

Just to throw a different answer into the mix (as per!). I have a very similar set up to you except our shed is totally separate to the house. As the tunnel to the run from the shed makes an extraordinarily effective wind tunnel we have taken to closing it off at night, thus they can't get into the run at night. This makes the shed far more snug and warm for them and cuts down on draughts 95%. Rabbits can cope with cold, yes, but do not do well in draughts. That is why we close our run, because of the horrendous draught the tunnel lets in - it literally can ruffle the fur and that's with three sides of the run covered in tarpaulin. There's still a foot gap between the run and the shed which of course is fine because of the tunnel, which is solid, but the draught is well, awful.

So it's really up to you. If there are no draughts then yes they should be fine. But if the tunnel itself causes a draught then ... well that bit's up to you, but personally I'd be careful.

So there you have it, Teaselrabbit!

Three great minds thinking alike.

Now to your part of the bargain (yes you didn't realise there was one, did you? :lol:)

Give us photos of your lovely ones, pretty please :D

Hi

g.png
welcome, can you show me pics it?

Good point re draughts. Bet thats why my lot sleepmup on theirnlittle hutch. Away from the doors (ie holes in the shed).

After last night's horrendous gale force winds I feel totally justified - not to mention relieved - that we block off our girls' access to the run at night.

Got up this morning to find that the tarpaulin had 95% come off the run, so exposing them to wind and rain had they been in there or just a horrendous draught had the tunnel been open. The hay and newspaper had been rolled up by the wind, which was quite bizarre, but luckily as such the hay and paper are bone dry so we don't have to replace it; just the top of the run is wet. However, had they had access to the run last night they would have been so very, very cold.

Thumper has come down with colic/stasis in the past for being too cold so I feel very glad indeed that we block off the run in the winter. In fact, as the weather is still so horrible this morning, they're not allowed in it today either. They were allowed out into the garden this morning but came in of their own volition after about 10 minutes, that's how horrible it is!

After last night's horrendous gale force winds I feel totally justified - not to mention relieved - that we block off our girls' access to the run at night.

Got up this morning to find that the tarpaulin had 95% come off the run, so exposing them to wind and rain had they been in there or just a horrendous draught had the tunnel been open. The hay and newspaper had been rolled up by the wind, which was quite bizarre, but luckily as such the hay and paper are bone dry so we don't have to replace it; just the top of the run is wet. However, had they had access to the run last night they would have been so very, very cold.

Thumper has come down with colic/stasis in the past for being too cold so I feel very glad indeed that we block off the run in the winter. In fact, as the weather is still so horrible this morning, they're not allowed in it today either. They were allowed out into the garden this morning but came in of their own volition after about 10 minutes, that's how horrible it is!

Angie, sorry to hear this.

You really have a point with shutting them in with this icy cold wind. At the very least, something could fall on the run and injure them. A matter of day by day judgement maybe ?

Vibes for Thumper xx

Back