• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New baby bunny question.

I have another question about baby bun. I'm almost convinced at this stage that its the new pellets that are causing him to do caecals everywhere because when I give him the mixture he picks out his old ones for the first half of the day and his poops are normal and then when he eats the new ones I start seeing caecals again. I am going to be all out of his old pellets in a couple of days and have no clue where to get his old brand.

Would I be able to try him on all hay for a couple of days to see how is poops are or would this be a bad idea given his age? He is 12 weeks. I don't want to starve the poor guy:/

I have both ss and burges and both pellet brands don't seem to agree with him xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
Have you looked online for the old pellets? I would have thought they're better than nothing?

Have you looked online for the old pellets? I would have thought they're better than nothing?

It just said commercial rabbit food and there was no brand ? And I can't see any evidence of where it comes from. The lady had a 20kilo bag of the stuff that she said she got last year at a farmers market down the country.

It just said commercial rabbit food and there was no brand ? And I can't see any evidence of where it comes from. The lady had a 20kilo bag of the stuff that she said she got last year at a farmers market down the country.

Oh goodness :(! I don't even know what to suggest - it's risky to try any brands that you don't usually feed in case they don't agree with him. Is it junior pellets your feeding him?

Oh goodness :(! I don't even know what to suggest - it's risky to try any brands that you don't usually feed in case they don't agree with him. Is it junior pellets your feeding him?

No it's the adult food.Iv never used Junior before and buns have been fine but I might go get a pack of Junior Burgess tomorrow.

No it's the adult food.Iv never used Junior before and buns have been fine but I might go get a pack of Junior Burgess tomorrow.

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but Maizie and Daisy had Junior, and then I slowly progressed onto the adult at around 16 weeks

I'm not sure what difference it makes, but Maizie and Daisy had Junior, and then I slowly progressed onto the adult at around 16 weeks

Fingers crossed he shows signs of improvement.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the junior burgess, it's even richer than the adult one, so if the adult one is giving him sticky poops, the junior one is likely to do so even more!

I would stick to a small quantity of pellets and loads and loads of hay. Do you have access to any forage? I have some 5-week old babies here who were taken away from mum too early (not by me!) and I'm feeding them science selective, hay and a good wadge of forage. I find that a forage based diet is incredibly gentle on bunny guts, I think because the more natural plants have not been engineered for maximum nutrition/soft fibre and have lots of nice tough fibre and aren't too rich. I'm feeding my little ones forage which is mainly willow, hawthorn, bramble, wild rose, apple leaves. When they arrived last Saturday the two littlest ones had no formed poos at all and weighed 430g. Now they do fantastic normal poos - I haven't seen a splat all week - and weigh over 500g. It really works! Obviously you need to introduce things slowly, I did it more quickly than I'd normally do due to their specific background and needs, but they are totally thriving. Might be worth a go to see if you can introduce a few bits and pieces to see if it helps.

Good luck with your little one :D

Could be worth going back to the person you got bun from and ask if you can buy some more pellets from them, then you can transfer over to another pellet such as science selective in a couple of weeks. Foraging for him would be a great idea too :thumb:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the junior burgess, it's even richer than the adult one, so if the adult one is giving him sticky poops, the junior one is likely to do so even more!

I would stick to a small quantity of pellets and loads and loads of hay. Do you have access to any forage? I have some 5-week old babies here who were taken away from mum too early (not by me!) and I'm feeding them science selective, hay and a good wadge of forage. I find that a forage based diet is incredibly gentle on bunny guts, I think because the more natural plants have not been engineered for maximum nutrition/soft fibre and have lots of nice tough fibre and aren't too rich. I'm feeding my little ones forage which is mainly willow, hawthorn, bramble, wild rose, apple leaves. When they arrived last Saturday the two littlest ones had no formed poos at all and weighed 430g. Now they do fantastic normal poos - I haven't seen a splat all week - and weigh over 500g. It really works! Obviously you need to introduce things slowly, I did it more quickly than I'd normally do due to their specific background and needs, but they are totally thriving. Might be worth a go to see if you can introduce a few bits and pieces to see if it helps.

Good luck with your little one :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply santa. Your post was really helpful. I'm not a forager I'm afraid being in Dublin.we have the phoenix Park nearby but I would be afraid of bringing back something nasty like vhd or myxo from there :/

I have lots of various dried forage / herbs from the hay experts and zooplus.would these be any good? In my own garden I have grass,dandelion leaves, clover and dock leaves etc but I have been holding back on these too.
I'm wary of giving him anything besides hay.

Could be worth going back to the person you got bun from and ask if you can buy some more pellets from them, then you can transfer over to another pellet such as science selective in a couple of weeks. Foraging for him would be a great idea too :thumb:

Woohoo ... I just heard back from the woman and she remembered the brand. It is connollys red Mills.it comes only in 25 kilo bags and it is high in protein and not a great fibre content. It's high in protein id imagine because it's marketed for meat rabbits :(

The little guy I'm glad to say has come right with his poops. He might do one or two uneaten caecals at night time but most are fully formed now. Yay:) he is off to the vet on Friday. I didn't want to post pictures until I had his sex confirmed on Friday but hey here goes :) this is Freddie !

ne2y9ara.jpg

apapapuq.jpg

ze3y8u9a.jpg

Oh he is the most beautify bunny. Mind you I am a tad biased because he is very much like my Bobby only about 8 years younger. Wow!

He's cute :love: will you be bonding him with Rosie?

Yes definitely ... that is the plan once we get confirmation that he is a boy. We will get him neutered in a couple of weeks and start bonding 6 weeks later.

Oh he is the most beautify bunny. Mind you I am a tad biased because he is very much like my Bobby only about 8 years younger. Wow!

Aww thanks :) your Bobby is very handsome too xx

I am pleased to read he is back to normal with his poops it's always a worry when they have extra's Merlin does too once in a while so I cut his greens out for a day or two and he seems to be back to normal, though he is much older...

And BOY do you have a beaut of a rabbit there!!! Can't wait to readmore stories about him xxx

Back