• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New baby bunny question.

luna

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone,

So I finally took the plunge and got a new male rabbit yesterday. I got him privately from a family with a litter that they had from their two rabbits. He is such a lovely little guy, nothing phases him and he is super chilled out. He is almost 12 weeks old. As soon as we brought him home he was straight in the litter box munching on hay like he had never seen it before (perhaps he hadn't) and i mixed in some burges pellets with his own pellets ( he is ignoring the burges so far).

Anyway, the thing is I am noticing uneaten ceacals around the place. The lady said that they had been munching on grass and veg with mammy since they first started eating. So I thought this would be a good thing in terms of digestion. I put him out on the grass in a big run this afternoon and there were a good few uneaten caecals scattered around so I took him back in. Can i please have some advice on what to do... should I cut out all greens, readigrass, etc and just offer him unlimited hay and pellets. What could be causing this? I have always had bunnies since they were babies and am very careful about diet and changing over the food etc but I have never had this problem before. Normally things have gone smoothly xx

Last edited:
Hello :wave:. I'm afraid it's been years since I had a baby bunny and I honestly can't remember what I did with them digestion wise. If he's been used to fresh food ie. Grass then it's probably safe to continue. However, baby bunnies can suffer tummy upsets on a change of environment so it may be wise to reduce the fresh stuff and increase the hay.

But hopefully someone with more recent experience of baby bunnies can offer some better advice.

I was always finding uneaten caecals with Maizie and Daisy until they were about 3.5 months.

Thanks for the replies. I have been keeping an eye on his poops since he came in from the garden and its been over 3 hours and i have only seen biggish golden ones since then so I hope his digestion is coming right.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

it's probably a bit of stress from moving home. glad his tummy is improving now. :wave:

He was still with his mummy until yesterday , I wonder if he was still nursing and could that have anything to do with it.

I would just keep an eye on it as its probably stress related. If it persists get a vet check though to rule out any other problems such as parasites, infection or mobility issues.

Yes, I agree, it will probably settle on its own and he's just got a lot of new things to adjust to. Are you feeding the same brand dry food?

I would just keep an eye on it as its probably stress related. If it persists get a vet check though to rule out any other problems such as parasites, infection or mobility issues.

Will do ... he will be going to get neutered soon so will get the vet to examine him then xx

Yes, I agree, it will probably settle on its own and he's just got a lot of new things to adjust to. Are you feeding the same brand dry food?

I have his original pellets which are very poor quality and have added a small amount of ss and burges to those.

I have his original pellets which are very poor quality and have added a small amount of ss and burges to those.

Prudhoe arrived at our home on Sunday and did a couple of uneaten cecals too - he's about a year old - so I think it was stress for him too.

Also - Burgess can cause some buns to have excess cecals to - my lion head Harley always had them when she was on Burgess - once we changed over to SS she was absolutely fine.

Hope they clear up soon for you.

Prudhoe arrived at our home on Sunday and did a couple of uneaten cecals too - he's about a year old - so I think it was stress for him too.

Also - Burgess can cause some buns to have excess cecals to - my lion head Harley always had them when she was on Burgess - once we changed over to SS she was absolutely fine.

Hope they clear up soon for you.

Thanks for that. I really hope they clear too because I had a bun before who had them his whole life and we couldn't keep him indoors as a result. They were turning up squished into carpets. I don't want my bunnies living outdoors now though. I like having them indoors with me and I love how Rosie is such a clean bun. Hopefully it clears :)

I think even though the pellets he was having aren't all that brilliant, I would keep him on those for a couple of weeks whilst he settles in, before slowly changing over to any new food, in case that is the cause, you could cut out veg and grass too for a while so he's just having hay and his usual pellets until you do the changeover.

I think even though the pellets he was having aren't all that brilliant, I would keep him on those for a couple of weeks whilst he settles in, before slowly changing over to any new food, in case that is the cause, you could cut out veg and grass too for a while so he's just having hay and his usual pellets until you do the changeover.

Sugar ...it's too late for that. I only kept enough of them to do a one / two week change over :/ I threw away the rest.

Sugar ...it's too late for that. I only kept enough of them to do a one / two week change over :/ I threw away the rest.

Oops! In that case I'd consider buying more, it might only be cheap
stuff anyway.

Oops! In that case I'd consider buying more, it might only be cheap
stuff anyway.

It was a massive bag the lady had kept in the shed called "commercial rabbit feed". I have never seen it before but I would imagine it's for rabbit farmers :( I have cut out the burges for now anyway. Thanks zoobec xx

I have another question about baby bun. I'm almost convinced at this stage that its the new pellets that are causing him to do caecals everywhere because when I give him the mixture he picks out his old ones for the first half of the day and his poops are normal and then when he eats the new ones I start seeing caecals again. I am going to be all out of his old pellets in a couple of days and have no clue where to get his old brand.

Would I be able to try him on all hay for a couple of days to see how is poops are or would this be a bad idea given his age? He is 12 weeks. I don't want to starve the poor guy:/

I have both ss and burges and both pellet brands don't seem to agree with him xx

Back