• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering Query

Zarla

Alpha Buck
Hope you guys can help!

This is the first female rabbit I've had neutered since 2003 as my other buns have been males. (This one was supposed to be too but by four months it was obvious that she wasn't!)

In 2003, my little doe was released without any follow up pain relief and was very quiet for the next week, refusing all food but hay. Is this still the case today? No pain relief? Her surgery is on Thursday and I'm feeling nervous.

Last edited:
Pain relief is an ESSENTIAL for 7-10 days after a spay. Any Vet not providing that would not get anywhere near my Rabbit. So ask lots of questions before signing your Doe over to their care.

After surgery the Doe should not be discharged home until she has nibbled food and passed some poo and wee
PAIN RELIEF MUST BE PROVIDED FOR 7-10 days after surgery
A post surgery check up should be booked at the time of discharge home
If on returning home the Doe does not continue to eat, albeit in small amounts, continue to pass poo and wee then the Vet needs to be contacted again as additional medication would be needed as well as syringe feeding.
The Doe needs to be kept confined to a relatively small area and prevented from jumping up onto high surfaces for about 14 days after surgery.

Hope all goes well for her :)

Thank you for this detailed response, Jane! Medivet where I had Stakki and Benji (males) neutered in 2006/2011 didn't give pain relief either but both seemed unaffected by the op in terms of behaviour/appetite. Was the vet negligent here too? 🤬

Last edited:
Thank you for this detailed response, Jane! Medivet where I had Stakki and Benji (males) neutered didn't give pain relief either but both seemed unaffected by the op in terms of behaviour/appetite.

Makes me so Cross when Rabbits are not given pain relief after a neuter/spay. Would the Vet be happy to have a hysterectomy or a vasectomy with zero analgesic cover !!

Makes me so Cross when Rabbits are not given pain relief after a neuter/spay. Would the Vet be happy to have a hysterectomy or a vasectomy with zero analgesic cover !!

Exactly - the patient would be in agony. I was lucky I didn't lose Squirrel (my doe) by the sounds of it.

I had 2 girls spayed recently and was given 4 days worth of pain relief. The Vets usually give a24hr injection before they come home. My 2 were so bright when they came back, eating etc so I was very impressed. There was no follow-up appointment and no stitches either. Good luck for Thursday.

I've only ever had males done but last one came home with 24hrs cover from injection and additional metacam, which he needed for the swelling if nothing else! He recovered absolutely fine with pain relief, you'd barely have noticed he'd had surgery :) Like tonibun's experience, the dissolvable sticthes were used, but I was also told they MIGHT need coming out if they didn't dissolve properly, and he might react to them after a couple of days (he didn't), so worth asking about what to watch for in case that happens. Follow-up was 'ring us if you need us' :lol: Best of luck!

I would hope that she would get a proper follow-up appointment 2-3 days after surgery. Some places may ask you to send in a photo of the surgical site, but for a female, I would really rather she was actually examined.

Back