• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered and doing well - thank you everyone!

Finally got the call! All well so far, and we can pick him up in another hour and a half :D Waiting to see how he is before I fully relax, but I'm just so pleased he made it through. Now we can stop looking forwards at it and worrying and panicking - it's done and never has to be done again.

Thank you all for your support leading up to this. It has helped to keep me sane!

Great news :)

Hope he can come home soon! x

Can't stay long - Monty just got home. Fairly well. Think I caught him enjoying a pellet. We've loaded him up with some of his favourite foods, because the vet wants us to see him eat something by the morning. Far more veg than he would usually get, but a couple of his favourites, and if he's off food I doubt he'll take the opportunity to gorge!

Not the best homecoming - he was so panicked that as I raised his carrier lid to let him out, he bolted, into his hutch (thankfully we took the precaution of being next to it), then he was so panicked he tried to jump up the hutch stairs but missed and hit his head quite hard :( Nothing we could do, it was over in a moment, but we're now going to keep an eye from a wary distance and hope he calms down quickly. At least he is alive and well - it isn't the first time he's miscalculated the jump (did I say he's an idiot? :D) so hopefully no damage done.

Poor Monty :( Hopefully he'll feel a lot more relaxed soon, once he realises the carrier is out of the way :)

I hope he feels like eating something soon.

Thanks Omi! He seems to be relaxing - he did hide out in the dark part of his hutch for awhile, but now he's come out to flump and just have a lie down, so hopefully a good sign. He's also had one of ferocious drinking sessions, though still no definite proof that he's eaten yet. I cleaned his hutch before he came back, so I can at least check 'output'.

I'm having a slight panic, as the vet's nurse talked us through in great detail how much Metacam to give him (50kg of the for dogs) but I've just realised she didn't say when to start giving it to him. The box says once daily, so I'm guessing no need to do it until tomorrow morning, but I'm panicking all the same. I'm thinking leave it until then, as I would hazard a guess that the risk of accidentally overdosing him is much greater than the risk of accidentally underdosing him - while I obviously want to minimise his suffering, I understand it's just pain relief (?) so no long term adverse side effects if I do underdose. (Why I interrupted my dinner to panic, when at present I don't plan to give it to him until tomorrow, is quite beyond me).

...Aaaaaaand just as I finish typing, he gives me his pleading "can I come out now?" look then enjoys a green bean :D Not terribly enthusiastic for him, but still. Hurrah for eating!

It could be that the effect of the anaesthetic made him leap out of the carrier and into his hutch and misjudge the distance. My vets have a habit of letting buns home when they are still quite wobbly, so maybe he's feeling a bit more himself now. Great that he's had a good drink and a green bean - hope he's fit and active tomorrow, and there are lots of poos!

P.S. Hope you managed to enjoy your anniversary!

Thanks Omi! He seems to be relaxing - he did hide out in the dark part of his hutch for awhile, but now he's come out to flump and just have a lie down, so hopefully a good sign. He's also had one of ferocious drinking sessions, though still no definite proof that he's eaten yet. I cleaned his hutch before he came back, so I can at least check 'output'.

I'm having a slight panic, as the vet's nurse talked us through in great detail how much Metacam to give him (50kg of the for dogs) but I've just realised she didn't say when to start giving it to him. The box says once daily, so I'm guessing no need to do it until tomorrow morning, but I'm panicking all the same. I'm thinking leave it until then, as I would hazard a guess that the risk of accidentally overdosing him is much greater than the risk of accidentally underdosing him - while I obviously want to minimise his suffering, I understand it's just pain relief (?) so no long term adverse side effects if I do underdose. (Why I interrupted my dinner to panic, when at present I don't plan to give it to him until tomorrow, is quite beyond me).

...Aaaaaaand just as I finish typing, he gives me his pleading "can I come out now?" look then enjoys a green bean :D Not terribly enthusiastic for him, but still. Hurrah for eating!

The metacam you start using tomorrow he would already have had painkillers at vets, try offering some herbs etc to temp him to nibble

It could be that the effect of the anaesthetic made him leap out of the carrier and into his hutch and misjudge the distance. My vets have a habit of letting buns home when they are still quite wobbly, so maybe he's feeling a bit more himself now. Great that he's had a good drink and a green bean - hope he's fit and active tomorrow, and there are lots of poos!

P.S. Hope you managed to enjoy your anniversary!

Thank you! And yes, that might be one explanation - he seemed to think he could get from the entrance to the upstairs in just one hop, and instead he cracked his head on the ceiling. He's definitely on the mend now; still not eating like he usually does, but I've just watched him wrestle a piece of cardboard out of the way most impatiently so that he could get to his pellets (and now he is eating the cardboard as well). He seems to be eating for a couple of minutes, then taking ten minutes off to rest, then finding some more food, but he's had nearly as much as he normally would in a day.

Thanks mini_lop! The only herb we have that's currently grown is sage, which he had yesterday - but I might go and pick him a few more leaves, he did enjoy them lots and I feel I ought to spoil him as much as possible. I'll give him the metacam in the morning, provided he'll take it from the syringe :S

How's he doing today?

Not great, but not too badly either, thanks for asking. We all three had a horrid time getting his medicine in this morning - I tried all the tricks, and he took a bit of it on some sage leaves, but he quickly started refusing foods, so we ended up having to hold him tightly and - well, essentially force it in. I think that despite the amount dribbled everywhere he managed to take in most of it. Dreading tomorrow :( He's still quiet and very easy to frighten, and he's mainly hiding, plus he runs away whenever I go near his hutch. But there doesn't seem to be anything wrong other than he's understandably terrified, so I hope to be able to let him out tomorrow and hopefully then he'll perk up.

Is there any way of making sure the wound isn't infected? I'm keeping an eye out for the general signs of illness, but he's so fluffy that it's hard to see the wound, and I don't want to handle him other than for medicine while he's so skittish.

Not great, but not too badly either, thanks for asking. We all three had a horrid time getting his medicine in this morning - I tried all the tricks, and he took a bit of it on some sage leaves, but he quickly started refusing foods, so we ended up having to hold him tightly and - well, essentially force it in. I think that despite the amount dribbled everywhere he managed to take in most of it. Dreading tomorrow :( He's still quiet and very easy to frighten, and he's mainly hiding, plus he runs away whenever I go near his hutch. But there doesn't seem to be anything wrong other than he's understandably terrified, so I hope to be able to let him out tomorrow and hopefully then he'll perk up.

Is there any way of making sure the wound isn't infected? I'm keeping an eye out for the general signs of illness, but he's so fluffy that it's hard to see the wound, and I don't want to handle him other than for medicine while he's so skittish.

You could try reducing his stress a little by medicating him on the floor between your knees.
Make sure that your legs are crossed at the back and that you lean right over when you do it. I also try to do it in a pen or a small room too because if they do somehow get away then it's obviously much harder to catch them again and that means more stress.
This video is a good example :) I have a bun that refuses all oral meds and for a long time we had to ask for injectable everything. I can get meds in him now though with this technique :)
https://youtu.be/qfROVhKTMxI

You could try reducing his stress a little by medicating him on the floor between your knees.
Make sure that your legs are crossed at the back and that you lean right over when you do it. I also try to do it in a pen or a small room too because if they do somehow get away then it's obviously much harder to catch them again and that means more stress.
This video is a good example :) I have a bun that refuses all oral meds and for a long time we had to ask for injectable everything. I can get meds in him now though with this technique :)
https://youtu.be/qfROVhKTMxI

That's a nice idea, but it would never work with Monty! Even held to you/held in place on a lap he wriggles, frequently gets away, and refuses to stay still for a moment. I already have scars down my chest/arms/hands from his scratching as he wriggles and throws himself around. Unless you have at least one arm holding him firmly, he gets away to places we can't reach and refuses to come out again. This morning I held him on my lap (crossed legs) on the floor by his hutch, so we didn't carry him just lifted him out, then I had him - I don't quite know how else to describe it - squished against me so he couldn't move his head and we were able to get to his mouth (we had tried just about everything else we could think of, I really do try every time to do it with his co-operation first, this was a last resort). Even then he managed to scratch a bit. I've tried so many of the different tips for holding him; we've sort of got him calmed down for grooming and nail clipping, he'll usually hold still for two-three minutes before he starts to wriggle, but I think this morning the combination of being sore, frightened and having an odd new thing near his face was a bit too much for him.

Thank you for sharing though :) I dream of having a bunny that well behaved! If Monty ever calms down I'll certainly be happy to give it a go - but just sat between my knees right now he'd be off like a shot, and probably bite me on the way off, too!

(I realise I sound like a very bad bunny mummy :( I only pick him up/hold him when I have to do something for his own good, like grooming, and one of the main reasons I talk about holding tight is because he gets so panicked he tends to throw himself around, and has nearly injured himself a couple of times. I'm slowly trying to teach him to sit still (and not bite) then let me put him down calmly afterwards, and it's getting better, as long as I only hold him for as long as I have to - the one exception is if he bites, I make a point of holding him for another half a minute or so, so he learns biting won't mean he can escape. I honestly have tried the "nicer" methods with him :()

That's a nice idea, but it would never work with Monty! Even held to you/held in place on a lap he wriggles, frequently gets away, and refuses to stay still for a moment. I already have scars down my chest/arms/hands from his scratching as he wriggles and throws himself around. Unless you have at least one arm holding him firmly, he gets away to places we can't reach and refuses to come out again. This morning I held him on my lap (crossed legs) on the floor by his hutch, so we didn't carry him just lifted him out, then I had him - I don't quite know how else to describe it - squished against me so he couldn't move his head and we were able to get to his mouth (we had tried just about everything else we could think of, I really do try every time to do it with his co-operation first, this was a last resort). Even then he managed to scratch a bit. I've tried so many of the different tips for holding him; we've sort of got him calmed down for grooming and nail clipping, he'll usually hold still for two-three minutes before he starts to wriggle, but I think this morning the combination of being sore, frightened and having an odd new thing near his face was a bit too much for him.

Thank you for sharing though :) I dream of having a bunny that well behaved! If Monty ever calms down I'll certainly be happy to give it a go - but just sat between my knees right now he'd be off like a shot, and probably bite me on the way off, too!

(I realise I sound like a very bad bunny mummy :( I only pick him up/hold him when I have to do something for his own good, like grooming, and one of the main reasons I talk about holding tight is because he gets so panicked he tends to throw himself around, and has nearly injured himself a couple of times. I'm slowly trying to teach him to sit still (and not bite) then let me put him down calmly afterwards, and it's getting better, as long as I only hold him for as long as I have to - the one exception is if he bites, I make a point of holding him for another half a minute or so, so he learns biting won't mean he can escape. I honestly have tried the "nicer" methods with him :()

No, I totally understand, I have a rabbit like this too but this is truly the only way I can medicate him. I still choose to do injectables if I can but in emergencies it's good to know that I can use this technique if I have to! If I pick him up and hold him then I have the same treatment, he scratches, bites, wriggles etc and there is no way on earth that we can get anything in him at all, even the vets struggle with him, he's a nightmare :(
The rabbit in the video is very calm in my eyes but it does work on troublesome bunnies too. The trick is to do this technique in a smaller space so they can't run too far. I use my bathroom or a pen :) Your legs need to grip his sides but obviously don't put any weight on him, legs crossed at the back so he can't back out and then you lean right over and hold his head with your left hand whilst syringing with your right. There isn't anywhere for them to go... I promise! Give it a try, it's changed my life :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pleased Monty came through his op ok. Good luck with the medication, I can't really offer any advice, sorry. I hope he's back to his usual self soon x

Have you tried giving his meds on a shreddie? Or mixed into a little mashed banana?

Zoobec - We found ourselves a bit short in the food department this morning, but we now have some bananas, so I'll give it a go tomorrow. I think I've offered it to him before, though, and he's turned his nose up at it - and as he refused sage leaves with medicine this morning, when he usually adores them, I'm not sure there's any food that would tempt him. We'll be trying though :D

Thanks TheThreeB's!

Roxyroller - I'll certainly give it a go at some point! I don't think I want to try this time, just because with his wound on his tummy I don't want to carry him around, and his hutch is in the living room, so it wouldn't be possible to get him to a confined space without carrying him. I'll try anything to try and calm him down while being handled, though, so when it's a better time I'll try this!

Mine all have medicine in plain oats. I put the metacam on the oats and mix it in then let it dry out a bit. They have never refused the spiked oats. Hope you and monty are both fine xxxx

Back