• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neighbor reported my rabbits

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
A neighbor reported me to the council because he said my rabbits are attracting vermin and there are mice in his home. I'm doing everything I can like making sure areas are clean on a daily basis but I think it still might attract mice regardless because they can smell the hay.

If the RSPCA are contacted which is highly likely they will probably take all my bunnies knowing them. I've got 8 rabbits and that sounds bad but 5 are babies and are rescues. I'll be keeping one of the babies and rehoming the other 4. I'm a bit stuck.

Has anybody else had a problem with mice?

I have had 2-4 rabbits living outside for several years now. I have never known mice be attracted to the hay and have never seen any mouse nor mouse droppings in their shed or run. They would probably be attracted to any food left outside, but that doesn't happen here ever. We do quite often have mice and other rodents in the garden though, but they are not there because of the rabbits and we do not consider them a problem. We have also had mice in the house, but they are not there because of the outside rabbits. There are, as you are probably aware, several different species of mice. Most people will have had House Mice in their house at some time or another, usually because they are attracted to food.

I think most of your rabbits are inside aren't they? I would say that those inside cannot have any part in the reason why your neighbour has mice inside his house. I would make sure that there is absolutely no food in any of the accommodation for the rabbits outside.

I have no animals outside but there are mice. It's just a part of life - mice are everywhere. If mice were attracted to the rabbit food and hay, that's where they would live, not in your neighbour's house. They are getting into their home because there are holes big enough for them to get into (they can get through tiny gaps).

I would have thought if it was anything to do with your bunnies, you would have seen or heard evidence of them in your own home. I would think that the council would be able to pinpoint where they are getting into neighbours property. I agree, make sure there is no food outside.

Do you keep your animal things tidy and put away?
Because that's actually what the council will be looking at when it comes to this.
Because they can't stop you owning rabbits whether that's outside or inside. They're looking at whether it's kept tidy and clean. The logic being that rats won't be actively encouraged then.

(i have had many problems with my neighbour and he used my rabbit when i had one as a way of making up that we/he had rats because of my rabbit). There were no rats anyway.

Rodents need water, food and shelter. If your neighbour has mice, I would presume that they are finding something in their property eg food, otherwise the mice would not be there. I'm not sure that the RSPCA would really get involved. It's more of an environmental health / pest issue. You need to make sure that all your pet food, bedding and waste is properly stored / disposed of so that it isn't attracting the mice.

I would be more wary of the neighbour calling the RSPCA because they are not happy about the number of pets you have, rather than a specific pest issue. Not sure what you can do about it. You don't have to let the RSPCA in to your property unless they have a warrant / the police with them - they have no legal right of entry on their own. It may be in your best interest to let them in to assess the situation, though, as they are very unlikely to remove animals that are appropriately cared for and are not sick.

The council may have a different view of the number of pets in one of their properties if it goes against the tenancy agreement. They may also need access to allow for pest control. Maybe have a word with other neighbours and see what the situation is regarding mice infestations and their view of your pets. There may not be an issue, it could be personal, there may be a mouse problem within your block. I think you need more information and then decide on how to proceed.

I have had 2-4 rabbits living outside for several years now. I have never known mice be attracted to the hay and have never seen any mouse nor mouse droppings in their shed or run. They would probably be attracted to any food left outside, but that doesn't happen here ever. We do quite often have mice and other rodents in the garden though, but they are not there because of the rabbits and we do not consider them a problem. We have also had mice in the house, but they are not there because of the outside rabbits. There are, as you are probably aware, several different species of mice. Most people will have had House Mice in their house at some time or another, usually because they are attracted to food.

I think most of your rabbits are inside aren't they? I would say that those inside cannot have any part in the reason why your neighbour has mice inside his house. I would make sure that there is absolutely no food in any of the accommodation for the rabbits outside.

I relate to that because even before I had rabbits, I used to hear sounds in the night like plates clinking or the odd noise which didn't make any sense and because I have an open mind I thought it might be ghosts, I have seen ghosts with my own eyes so I would never rule anything out but, Mice makes the most sense that there was always mice near by.

With keeping rabbits they can smell the food, they can smell the hay, that combined with sensitive neighbors smelling the ammonia in the rabbit urine mixed with there droppings it creates a problem.

Rodents need water, food and shelter. If your neighbour has mice, I would presume that they are finding something in their property eg food, otherwise the mice would not be there. I'm not sure that the RSPCA would really get involved. It's more of an environmental health / pest issue. You need to make sure that all your pet food, bedding and waste is properly stored / disposed of so that it isn't attracting the mice.

I would be more wary of the neighbour calling the RSPCA because they are not happy about the number of pets you have, rather than a specific pest issue. Not sure what you can do about it. You don't have to let the RSPCA in to your property unless they have a warrant / the police with them - they have no legal right of entry on their own. It may be in your best interest to let them in to assess the situation, though, as they are very unlikely to remove animals that are appropriately cared for and are not sick.

The council may have a different view of the number of pets in one of their properties if it goes against the tenancy agreement. They may also need access to allow for pest control. Maybe have a word with other neighbours and see what the situation is regarding mice infestations and their view of your pets. There may not be an issue, it could be personal, there may be a mouse problem within your block. I think you need more information and then decide on how to proceed.

Great post. I totally agree.

If your rabbits needs are being met and they are clean, in good condition and living in the correct environment then the RSPCA will not take your rabbits.

I've given everything a good clean and removed all the compost and anything else that might be attracting mice. There is no smell so if I do get a visit, I expect they will just say I have too many rabbits which is fine, they can do a fallow up inspection once the babies have been re-homed.

If your rabbits are being kept properly then there is absolutely no way that they would say you had too many with eight.

Humane Wildlife Solutions owned and run by my friend Kevin Newell may well be able to offer some advice.

Just won an award for his truly humane solutions.

Back