• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need some advice about Xena's symptoms. U/D diagnosed with e.c

Well, she's home. There's been a little bit of chasing (or falling over in Xena's case) but they all seem fine and I caught Shadowfax giving Xena a good groom. :) She's had a big drink and been munching hay in the litter tray. She's wobbly and tending to sway to one side but is getting about ok. I've left her free range because I'm able to sit in the room to watch her but I think I'll cage her tomorrow when I'm out and about.
She's not speaking to me at all lol. She's hiding under the bed most of the time so I'm just leaving her be for now. She needs her panacur, cisapride and metacam but I'm waiting until she's settled in a bit more.
I'm so happy to have her back and so glad she's eating and hopping around.

Really good news Vegan_Bunny x

I feel pretty tired today. I couldn't sleep for worrying about her. Every noise I heard, I imagined was her having another fit. :( Fortunately she seems fine. She is struggling to eat hay but it's not stopped her trying. I'm a little worried about this, actually. She eats it but only eating one strand at a time and it seems to take her forever, she then loses interest and goes to sit under the bed again. :( She's scoffing her pellets like there's no tomorrow, though, and even tried (and actually succeeded for a second or two!) to periscope when I was giving them a fenugreek crunchie each. :roll: She is still her feisty self and putting Shadowfax in her place and getting annoyed with Fiver when he gets in the way.

My worry is how long is it fair to keep her like this?
What if this is permanent? :cry:
This is likely caused by the fit rather than e.c or whatever may be going on with her so does that mean she will never recover any more than she has?

I'm really starting to stress about her and about where I go from here. Even if it is e.c...she's been on the panacur now for 2 weeks with no improvements to her symptoms. I know I need to do a deep clean of my room/litter trays (as well as devise some kind of hay rack to keep hay off the floor) and everything they own to make sure we kill off the parasite. Fiver and Shadowfax will also be treated but I'm unsure of how exactly I go about cleaning my room...especially bearing in my mind that it's carpeted and I have the rats in there so can't possibly use aerosols etc. :?

I've just heard a commotion upstairs and went up to check everything was ok...Xena was on my bloody bed and trying to get onto that windowsill! Fiver was sat on the sill encouraging her and when I walked in Xena ran like the clappers and jumped off my bed and ran under it. :shock: Bloody bunnies! I was hoping she wouldn't even attempt it but clearly she is feeling better today and more adventurous. I am going to have to cage her for definite whilst I'm not supervising until I can make the windowsill safe. Is it me or does it seem like she acts really poorly when I'm around!? :evil:

Rabbits do like to test us !!

With regards to the cleaning, if you can access a steam cleaner you need not use any chemicals at all. Steam will kill EC spores.

As to whether Xena can ever fully recover from her neurological problems, whilst this may not be possible she could learn to cope very well with them. She certainly sounds to be doing just that at the moment. I would just try to take things one day at a time, especially until you receive the results of the blood tests.

need suggest one feed rations for commercial Rabbits- for meat productions ??

Dear all ,
I am new member in the Group ...
i would like to ask if can suggest one feed rations for commercial Rabbits- for meat productions ( pellet feed ) for all Stages of rabbit life .

attached file

Commercial Rabbit meat productions/period (including Lactating Doe, Mixed maternity and fattening, empty Doe, Growing period after weaning
Components of feed /Kg
"Crude proteins (%)
Crude fibre (%)
Digestible proteins (%)
Metabolizable energy (kcal/kg)
Pellet Size (mm)
Amino acids
Methionine + cystine (%)
Lysine (%)
Arginine (%)
Minerals
Calcium (%)
avalable . Phosphorus (%)
Potassium (%)
chlorine
Copper (mg)
Zinc (mg)
Iodine (mg)
Iron (mg)
Cobalt (mg)
Sodium (%)
Magnesium (%)
Vitamins/ KG FEED
Vitamin A (IU/kg)
Vitamin D3 (IU/kg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Vitamin K(mg)
Vitamin B1 (mg)
Vitamin B2(mg)
Vitamin B6(mg)
Vitamin B12( mg)
Folic acid ( mg)
Pantothenic acid (mg)
Niacin(mg)
Biotin(mg)

mansourjrf@gmail.com

Dear all ,
I am new member in the Group ...
i would like to ask if can suggest one feed rations for commercial Rabbits- for meat productions ( pellet feed ) for all Stages of rabbit life .

attached file

Commercial Rabbit meat productions/period (including Lactating Doe, Mixed maternity and fattening, empty Doe, Growing period after weaning
Components of feed /Kg
"Crude proteins (%)
Crude fibre (%)
Digestible proteins (%)
Metabolizable energy (kcal/kg)
Pellet Size (mm)
Amino acids
Methionine + cystine (%)
Lysine (%)
Arginine (%)
Minerals
Calcium (%)
avalable . Phosphorus (%)
Potassium (%)
chlorine
Copper (mg)
Zinc (mg)
Iodine (mg)
Iron (mg)
Cobalt (mg)
Sodium (%)
Magnesium (%)
Vitamins/ KG FEED
Vitamin A (IU/kg)
Vitamin D3 (IU/kg)
Vitamin E (mg)
Vitamin K(mg)
Vitamin B1 (mg)
Vitamin B2(mg)
Vitamin B6(mg)
Vitamin B12( mg)
Folic acid ( mg)
Pantothenic acid (mg)
Niacin(mg)
Biotin(mg)

mansourjrf@gmail.com

:?

Rabbits do like to test us !!

With regards to the cleaning, if you can access a steam cleaner you need not use any chemicals at all. Steam will kill EC spores.

As to whether Xena can ever fully recover from her neurological problems, whilst this may not be possible she could learn to cope very well with them. She certainly sounds to be doing just that at the moment. I would just try to take things one day at a time, especially until you receive the results of the blood tests.

Thanks Jane. A steam cleaner, of course. :lol: That would be ideal, I'm sure I can get hold of one...in fact my Mam may have one!

I've popped her in the cage. It's only a 4ft guinea pig cage, do you think this is ok? I don't want to restrict her movement too much for any length of time. She can hop about and periscope. It's a cage I have borrowed before for a hospital cage but it's only been for post ops or when I need to monitor input/output. I quite honestly don't know what to do for the best.
She wasn't happy about being in the cage and she's been rattling the bars but she straight away started eating her hay...so perhaps this is better for her? I've put her a bowl of water, hay and some wooden toys in there (which will inevitably end up in her bowl, knowing her). Quite impressed that she did a big pile of lovely, golden poos practically as soon as I popped her in. It will be ideal for me to monitor her input/output and she can go out with the other two when I'm in and able to sit in the room with them.

I could probably get something bigger for her to go in but the problem is that I would have nowhere to fit it in my room. :?

Vegan Bunny I don't know how bad Xena's tilt is, or why the Panacur wouldn't be clearing it up if it's EC. However, both Truffle and Fudge have had a head tilt, and both times I would say it was a lot more distressing for us to watch than for them to experience. I didn't realise with Truffle until after with hindsight, but was more aware of it with Fudge. Neither of them really behaved much differently from normal and I don't think they can have felt as wonky as they looked to us. Just a thought anyway, but I think I would give her time, watch her, not jump to any decisions. She sounds like she is okay in herself x

Thanks Jane. A steam cleaner, of course. :lol: That would be ideal, I'm sure I can get hold of one...in fact my Mam may have one!

I've popped her in the cage. It's only a 4ft guinea pig cage, do you think this is ok? I don't want to restrict her movement too much for any length of time. She can hop about and periscope. It's a cage I have borrowed before for a hospital cage but it's only been for post ops or when I need to monitor input/output. I quite honestly don't know what to do for the best.
She wasn't happy about being in the cage and she's been rattling the bars but she straight away started eating her hay...so perhaps this is better for her? I've put her a bowl of water, hay and some wooden toys in there (which will inevitably end up in her bowl, knowing her). Quite impressed that she did a big pile of lovely, golden poos practically as soon as I popped her in. It will be ideal for me to monitor her input/output and she can go out with the other two when I'm in and able to sit in the room with them.

I could probably get something bigger for her to go in but the problem is that I would have nowhere to fit it in my room. :?

Can you put a barricade of some sort around your bed so no-Bun can jump onto it and get onto the window sill ? Whatever you used as a barricade need not be aesthetically pleasing as it will only be a temporary thing.

Hi

I thought I'd write here instead of FB. Is she still dry now she's on cisapride? And have the clumps of poop cleared up? Doughnut has these time to time but she's still happy so not too worried.

Doughnut once fell off the window sill and I was going to say she now never gets up there but it seems Xena has her own ideas. Hope she's OK. I have no knowledge of EC.

Vegan Bunny I don't know how bad Xena's tilt is, or why the Panacur wouldn't be clearing it up if it's EC. However, both Truffle and Fudge have had a head tilt, and both times I would say it was a lot more distressing for us to watch than for them to experience. I didn't realise with Truffle until after with hindsight, but was more aware of it with Fudge. Neither of them really behaved much differently from normal and I don't think they can have felt as wonky as they looked to us. Just a thought anyway, but I think I would give her time, watch her, not jump to any decisions. She sounds like she is okay in herself x

There are lots of cases of head tilt that aren't connected with E.C., but it's always a good place to start. The problem is, once the neurological damage is done, it's hard to 'undo it'. Physiotherapy and massage (with heat/warmth) have proved useful for my buns, as have certain herbs which for sure heal the nerves and nerve pathways.

I wouldn't worry about a four foot cage for the short term. Unless she goes stir crazy in it!

That weird post is spam, I think. I've reported it anyway.

I can't block my bed off. I have nothing to big enough to use and my bed is accessible from 2 sides. I don't mind her getting on the bed since she obviously has no problems getting up and down, I just need to put something to block the windowsill from my bed (that's the only access onto it). I will ask my Dad when he comes in tonight, he's handy with things like this and I'm sure we could block it off with a plank of wood or something. I don't care what it looks like..you should see my room. :lol:

cpayne: I haven't checked her bum to see if she's wet. I daren't handle her too much because it's very disorienting for her and I'm so worried about hurting her. Her poos have been fantastic since coming home from the vets. The cisapride must be helping. They have not been wet or black and misshapen so this is a bonus. Yes, Xena is not one to be put off by a near-fatal fall. :roll: If I'm honest, I don't think either of my other buns would cope as well as she has throughout this whole thing. I have to say that I've never met such a stubborn, determined bun. She is very head strong and always gets her way.

Her tilt isn't severe. I think I'm just panicking because it's not something I've dealt with before. You are all right in saying she is coping well with it. She really hasn't altered her behaviour much apart from being quiet...which I would expect her to be after this ordeal! I think I'd be coping better if it had been a gradual problem rather than having such a traumatic incident result in her disability. :(

I think I need to just breathe. :lol:

I've rang the vets. There wasn't a vet available to look at the blood results but the e.c test came back positive. Doesn't mean it's an active infection; the other results will need to be looked at to interpret that, but I do have a feeling this is what is going on.

I've rang the vets. There wasn't a vet available to look at the blood results but the e.c test came back positive. Doesn't mean it's an active infection; the other results will need to be looked at to interpret that, but I do have a feeling this is what is going on.

Regarding Panacur, if my vet suspects E.C. to be the culprit (she has never offered the blood test), she will recommend 'double dosing' for six weeks.

Regarding Panacur, if my vet suspects E.C. to be the culprit (she has never offered the blood test), she will recommend 'double dosing' for six weeks.

I will ask my vet on Friday to see what he wants to do.

If it is an active infection, how likely will it be that the other two will develop symptoms? Do you think if they were going to that they would have already?

I will ask my vet on Friday to see what he wants to do.

If it is an active infection, how likely will it be that the other two will develop symptoms? Do you think if they were going to that they would have already?

Most rabbits carry E.C. and never develop symptoms during their lifetimes. It's impossible to say who will and who won't develop symptoms as a result. It could be down to the immune system and how well it fights E.C. in each individual rabbit.

Just checking in to see how you and Xena are doing. I'm afraid I don't know much more about E.C. than what I've learned here, but I wanted to leave some more vibes for you both. I hope now that there is a direction to go that something can be done to help her. Thinking of you all. :) xxxx

Thank you. She seemed much more like herself today. She even hopped onto my bed but isn't quite ready for cuddles yet lol. She boxed Fiver and chased Shadowfax off so she's definitely back to her usual fiesty self...even if she is still wobbly. I think her tilt is looking better but will see when I'm home from work tonight. I caged her and she was happily munching hay when I left her and even playing with her toys. I can't help worrying whilst at work, though! At least if anything happens, she is confined and so can't hurt herself and the other two can't pester her.
Going to ring the vets this afternoon to get some more info on her bloods.

Just got home. My Mam came home early and let her out of the cage so I just went up to check her poos (in the cage) and to see how she is. She has done a fair amount of very nice, golden poos. :thumb: She also looks so much brighter than she did yesterday! She's been charging about bossing Fiver and Shadowfax around, jumped down from my bed with no problem and I haven't even seen her fall over once! I know it's early days but I can't tell you how happy I am to see my feisty little madam back. :love:

I rang the vets today and unfortunately my vet hasn't been in yesterday or today. I asked if another vet could look at the results and she did but said she wanted to discuss things with Tom (my usual vet) before disclosing anything. I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it something really bad? Is it just that she needs a second opinion? :? Anyway, Tom is going to ring me tomorrow at half 1 whilst I'm at work for a chat and whatnot.

Fingers crossed it goes well and the news isn't too bad. At this stage I kind of want it to be e.c since that is something I know we can fight.

Just got home. My Mam came home early and let her out of the cage so I just went up to check her poos (in the cage) and to see how she is. She has done a fair amount of very nice, golden poos. :thumb: She also looks so much brighter than she did yesterday! She's been charging about bossing Fiver and Shadowfax around, jumped down from my bed with no problem and I haven't even seen her fall over once! I know it's early days but I can't tell you how happy I am to see my feisty little madam back. :love:

I rang the vets today and unfortunately my vet hasn't been in yesterday or today. I asked if another vet could look at the results and she did but said she wanted to discuss things with Tom (my usual vet) before disclosing anything. I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it something really bad? Is it just that she needs a second opinion? :? Anyway, Tom is going to ring me tomorrow at half 1 whilst I'm at work for a chat and whatnot.

Fingers crossed it goes well and the news isn't too bad. At this stage I kind of want it to be e.c since that is something I know we can fight.

I expect the Vet you spoke with tonight just wants to let Xena's primary Vet run through the results before discussing everything in detail with you. I dont think it means that there is a major problem going on.

If you can ask Xena if I can have some of whatever she is on, I'd be really grateful !! It sounds as though she's feeling fine within herself

Back