• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need recommendation for help with bonding near Cambridge

LD511

New Kit
Hi everyone,

I just moved from London to Cambridge, and have a quad (two pairs). We had one of the pairs for a couple of years, and adopted another couple, and in our flat in London they got along really well. The two girls in particular were best friends, and would always cuddle together.

After the move, the girls cannot be near each other without one trying to bite the other. We have kept the pairs apart as best we can in separate rooms (very much a short term solution), swapping the rooms every day so that the house doesn't become Balkanized, and the pairs seem to be largely debonded.

We need help getting the band back together, as we adopted the second couple but it would be heartbreaking to have to give them up. We also can't continue the current system of separation, as it relies on using an empty room where a housemate will soon be moving in.

Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere we could send the rabbits for bonding? The first time we bonded them, the original boy in the first couple became extremely depressed and refused to eat for days, largely because of how attached he is to my partner. During the move we boarded them for a few days, and the same thing happened. Ideally, then, the bonding would be somewhere that she could get to on her bike or even the trains every day (or at least every other day) so that he can see her and know that he hasn't been abandoned.

All recommendations very gratefully received.

Have you got 2 male/female pairs and are they all neutered? Have you tried bonding them in a small area on neutral territory? Small as in 4 x 3 or smaller.

Hi,yes they are 2 male/female pairs, all neutered. The youngest is about 3 years old, oldest is 4.5-5 (adopted so not very clear on medical docs).

The issue is partly getting a neutral territory. There is a little storage shed in the backyard, but realistically they can't roam free in there because it is old, dirty, and has a gate-style door which they might be able to crawl under and get out. We have a carry cage but it is barely big enough to fit all 4, so not a plausible living space. I was hopeful that someone who was accustomed to bonding, even if they didn't want to help at the moment, might be able to lend some larger cages and advice.

I watched the video, which had some good tips. If I could get cage issue resolved, or find a pre-configured neutral territory with someone who does bonding, I think that looks like a pretty good blueprint.

You can pick up dog cages quite cheaply. I see people using them for bonding on UK Rabbits. They are great believers in small space bonding mostly successfully. Someone has a group of about 12! I've just thought, a puppy pen would work as well.

Hi, I'm in the Cambridge area if that helps, I am also currently bonding 2 rabbits. They currently sell large play pens at pets at home in the beehive centre, I bought the smaller one as I have only got the pair, but I think that the larger one could be big enough to fit the 4, I think its around £40? It would give you a neutral area to put the 4 in and you can set it up anywhere where you are sitting, as its easy to take down/ move around. Hope that helps!

Back