• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help! Orphaned baby bunny

miavanders

New Kit
Our beautiful mother rabbit has just passed away, but had just had two babies over a week ago. We’ve lost one of the sweetest little babies (the runt of the two), and just have the one left.

What should we be feeding him and how much? We’ve read that kitten milk replacer or goat milk is best to feed in replacement of the mother’s milk, and that he should be fed about 6-7ml each feeding, going onto 12ml at 2 weeks, is this correct?

We’ll be keeping him inside to make sure he stays warm, and we’ve brought the nest his mother made for him to stay and sleep in.

We have experience with baby rabbits but have never looked after one so young without a mother, which is why I’m hoping to get some advice and information on anything else I should know.

I’m crossing my fingers for this little guy and will be doing everything I can to keep him healthy and happy.

Our beautiful mother rabbit has just passed away, but had just had two babies over a week ago. We’ve lost one of the sweetest little babies (the runt of the two), and just have the one left.

What should we be feeding him and how much? We’ve read that kitten milk replacer or goat milk is best to feed in replacement of the mother’s milk, and that he should be fed about 6-7ml each feeding, going onto 12ml at 2 weeks, is this correct?

We’ll be keeping him inside to make sure he stays warm, and we’ve brought the nest his mother made for him to stay and sleep in.

We have experience with baby rabbits but have never looked after one so young without a mother, which is why I’m hoping to get some advice and information on anything else I should know.

I’m crossing my fingers for this little guy and will be doing everything I can to keep him healthy and happy.

Very sorry for your losses :cry:

You have done the right thing to bring the Kit in. Goats milk or Cimicat is fine to use as a feed substitute. You will need to toilet the kit after each feed too, just wipe his/her ‘bits’ with a cotton wool pad.

Normally the Mother Rabbit will only feed her Kits once or twice a day. Her milk is very high in nutrients and solidifies in the kit’s stomach, it is then slowly digested over 24 hours. No milk substitute can provide as much concentrated nutrition, so hand rearing involves doing more feeds several times day and night.

There is some information about hand rearing on here

https://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/hand-rearing/

I hand reared some orphaned bunnies following the link posted above. I used Cimicat milk but also found they were keen to nibble hay and baby rabbit pellets from much younger than I expected. I didn't focus too much of feeding amounts as they would get fed up easily so fed little and often and made sure to weigh them the same time every day and keep a record of this.

Thank you! It’s great to know everything we can about what we should be doing in this situation :)

We started feeding him goat milk which he thankfully took to quite easily and have scheduled a couple times of the day to feed him. The links have helped a lot in clarifying and detailing what needs to be done to keep him healthy, and we’ll definitely be taking notes!

Last edited:
I hand reared some orphaned bunnies following the link posted above. I used Cimicat milk but also found they were keen to nibble hay and baby rabbit pellets from much younger than I expected. I didn't focus too much of feeding amounts as they would get fed up easily so fed little and often and made sure to weigh them the same time every day and keep a record of this.

It’s good to know we can be a bit flexible with this! Very stressful assuming whether or not what we’re doing is correct or right.

We’ve been feeding him as much as we can, but not up to the suggested mark so it’s good to know you’ve gotten through this about the same way :) He gets full shortly after feeding so we try to spread out each feeding time a bit more. Also working on finding something to weigh him so we can keep account on the progress he’s made.

Last edited:
It’s good to know we can be a bit flexible with this! Very stressful assuming whether or not what we’re doing is correct or right.

We’ve been feeding him as much as we can, but not up to the suggested mark so it’s good to know you’ve gotten through this about the same way :) He gets full shortly after feeding so we try to spread out each feeding time a bit more. Also working on finding something to weigh him so we can keep account on the progress he’s made.

Hope he does okay, maybe some kitchen food scales would be most accurate as he's so small? :)

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Back