• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice on treating surviving buns - RIP Pixie :( Bunny suddenly quadriplegic

Oh noooooooooooo :cry: :cry: :cry:
That has genuinely made the tears pour down my face. I have been following this quietly, and really really thought your little bun had every chance when I read some of the wonderful replies regard this FRS. I am so, so sorry!
My heart goes out to you just imagining your pain :cry:
Biggest, biggest hugs to you!
Annie xxx

Oh no :( I really thought he would be ok :cry:
I'm so sorry you lost him, don't blame yourself though. There's a lot of debate as to worming your rabbit would even help against catching EC, there's been a lot of cases where they have got it anyway. I personally don't worm my bunnies, they would find it very stressful and it's just not worth it if it's not even guaranteed to work :(

*huge huge hugs*

I'm so sorry adorabun.
I really had hoped that pixie was on the road to recovery.
You did everything possible for Pixie.Panacur may have made no difference, my ec bunny was wormed and 2 months later he developed it.

RIP little Pixie. :(

I'm so very sorry. :cry: I really thought that he'd get through this.

You did absolutely everything you could for him, but sometimes we just can't beat these horrible illnesses. Thinking of you. xx

Goodnight Pixie, sleep tight brave little boy. xx

:( I'm so so sorry to read this. I hadn't read this before (too embroiled in my own bunny issues) and started from the beginning. I was getting goosebumps thinking he was going to make it (and what an utterly adorable bun Pixie was) then wham, the most awful thing happened.

I am truly gutted for you but please take some comfort in the knowledge that you did absolutely everything possible for Pixie.

Binky free adorable Pixie x

Thanks so much everyone, for all your advice, comments, wishes and sympathies. It's a huge help at such an awful time.

To make matters worse, one of my other buns Einstein is refusing handfed pellets and hiding in his tunnel. Now he was mad for handfed pellets right before I picked him up to weigh him (to work out his panacur dose) which he hates, and I had the hoover on after, so I'm hoping it's just his nose out of joint. However needless to say it's another night of worrying for me. If he's not eating shortly I'll be straight back on to the vet. It never rains but it pours eh? :'(

Oh my God, I'm so, so sorry to hear this :cry: :cry: I really thought he was going to get better after reading about some of the success stories :( EC is a horrible, horrible thing, I lost my beloved Minnie to it 4 years ago :cry: my heart goes out to you, I know exactly how it feels :cry:
RIP and binky free, sweet little Pixie bun xxx

Thanks so much ripminnie, and I'm sorry to hear about your bunny. EC is an awful, awful thing. Poor pixie didn't even show symptoms until it was too late. I'm heartbroken :'(

Einstein just had a poo and is tucking into his veggies. I think he was just sulking after being manhandled against his will! Will be keeping a close watch just to be sure.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate all your help.

Hi again everyone, need some advice on eradicating/preventing EC infection in my surviving buns before it becomes an issue.

I have a 28 day course of Panacur to give my two surviving buns. They're young, flighty and REALLY don't like being held. I don't want to stress them for a whole month by giving them syringe meds, as I think stress (rehoming, neutering, bonding scuffles) is what brought on Pixie's very sudden death from EC. I've offered them the syringe but they won't go near it. I've tried giving them their dose of panacur on bread, but they won't eat it. Any suggestions for tempting foods to mix the panacur in?

I also need some advice on how best to sterilise the room Pixie lived in to try eradicate the spores. Unfortunately this isn't going to be easy, as he was living in a large exercise pen in our carpeted living room, so bleaching is not an option. Luckily we had cardboard, towels and fleece covering the floor under his pen, those have all been binned. Any suggestions for treating the carpet just in case?

He also used to hop up on one of our fake leather armchairs and wee on it. We had a towel there pretty much all the time (which have been binned), but I'm sure that some urine got onto the chair. What's the best (non-bleaching) agent to sterilise a pleather chair?

Thanks for your help during this tough time everyone xxx

You could try putting the Panacur on a Malted Shreddie or squashed up in a bit of Banana. But really you may just need to be firm but not rough and administer it via syringe each day.

The carpet and chair could be steam cleaned.

You could try putting the Panacur on a Malted Shreddie or squashed up in a bit of Banana. But really you may just need to be firm but not rough and administer it via syringe each day.

The carpet and chair could be steam cleaned.

Thanks a million for the advice. Will try the shreddie (or another no added sugar cereal) tomorrow, as something like that would be a very rare treat for them. Hopefully it will work!

I never thought of steam cleaning, my thinking was different chemicals. Will see if I can rent/borrow a steamer tomorrow, and if not there's a cheapish one in Argos I can buy.

I've only just read through this but am really sorry to hear about Pixie xxx
Thanks so much, it's so hard. I hope you're ok, if you need to talk please send me a PM x

My vet gave me a wormer that just went in their water last year, I'm not sure if it's one that would work on EC though. Can you mix it with wet crushed pellets and feed that instead of their normal pellets?

Back