• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nearly bonded but a bit worried

bunnyo1

Young Bun
Hi all,

A rabbit boarding place (Manchester Rabbit Boarding) have helped me a lot by starting the bonding process between my two rabbits while they stayed there. 100% recommend them! Accommodation etc was great :)

Now I have them home, they have cages near each other adjoining the same run. I am letting one out while the other one stays in and vice versa.
I got them back last night and had them together and there was a bit of humping/chasing but then they settled down lying next to each other. :love:

Freddie is in charge, however, this morning I tried having them together and he keeps humping her head so I'm moving him off her and pushing his head gently down to stop him. She has tried to nip him twice today instead of hopping away, and she keeps making little chirping sounds. I'm worried that they are starting to fall out again :( :roll:

Does anyone have any advice? They seemed much happier last night, I think maybe I'm just too protective over them :shock:

Don't separate them. Ideally when they've first bonded they should be together 24/7 since keep separating them and putting them together can cause them to have to establish themselves again. You might've gotten away with it with having them right next to each other, but I'd say let them stay together and let them sort it out, or every meeting will end up with humping again.

Don't separate them. Ideally when they've first bonded they should be together 24/7 since keep separating them and putting them together can cause them to have to establish themselves again. You might've gotten away with it with having them right next to each other, but I'd say let them stay together and let them sort it out, or every meeting will end up with humping again.

the problem is, she is starting to go for him because he won't stop trying to hump her. I've had them together a few times today stroking them and they've been fine, just occasionally he seems to just snap and start hounding her. I think she's a bit sick of him tbh :lol:

They have now started leaving droppings around the run when the other one is in their cage :shock:

I can't let them out together often because a lot of the time I'm not there and I've seen them snapping at each other. I'm just worried they'll end up really hurting each other if I'm not there.

I am swapping their cages every night and having one in the run with their door open while the other one is in then every few hours switching if I can't sit with them both out

Back