• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nasty female rabbits?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Two weeks ago my husband bought me two adorable female rabbits. They are sisters, 15 weeks old and lop crosses. They both have one ear up and one ear down! When they first came home they were very scared and did not like being picked up. I have been picking them up, stroking, brushing and feeding them treats on a daily basis. They also have a little run around every day. They have a large roomy cage with a two storey bed area.

On the weekend I put them into their run (on the grass) for the first time. The one sister tried to hump the other and pulled her fur out. Since then they have been very aggressive and HATE being picked up and even try to bite me when I'm offering them a treat ..... Please HELP!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! xx

Sounds like they are starting to mature.
how old are they now?

when they turn 5-6 months (i think) you can get them neutered which should calm their hormones down.

They are 15 weeks, so nearly 4 months! Due to them never being the friendliest of rabbits, do you think having them neutered will actually work?!

Would it be best to rehome one? :(

i have 2 nippy buns id never rehome personaly as its hard to rehome tempremental buns, and they end up in rescue for ages or dumped,

neutering does help alot of buns, but not all the time, sometimes its just judgeing there moods my girls are very terrorial to their "personal space and can get nasty in certain areas like their hutch, or a corner, both my girls once out running around are as nice as pie, feeding time they can get bit grumpy too but then most buns do nothing gets in the ay of a buns tum:lol:

what breed are they pending on size its normaly best to wait min of 5 months, smaller breeds may have to wait but longer due to weight and tiny parts

sorry just read the breed bits, :oops:

if they are fighting now you could seperate before its gets too wait neuter wait a few weeks after neuter and rebond

Last edited:
Are you certain they are both girls? Pets at Home assured us we were buying two girls, but both were boys. It is very hard to tell. Let's hope yours are not boy and girl...

I would have them speyed as soon as you can as there is a better chance of them being friendly after it's done. The 'teenage' phase of young bunnies is not nice - humping, spraying wee, fighting, territorial behaviour, pooping everywhere.

Plus, I believe 80% of unspeyed female rabbits develop uterine cancers when they get older, so you would be saving a lot of anguish and vets bills later on.

Welcome to the forum. I only joined a few months ago - I wish I had read it before we got our rabbits. I would have done quite a few things differently.

Two weeks ago my husband bought me two adorable female rabbits. They are sisters, 15 weeks old and lop crosses. They both have one ear up and one ear down! When they first came home they were very scared and did not like being picked up. I have been picking them up, stroking, brushing and feeding them treats on a daily basis. They also have a little run around every day. They have a large roomy cage with a two storey bed area.

On the weekend I put them into their run (on the grass) for the first time. The one sister tried to hump the other and pulled her fur out. Since then they have been very aggressive and HATE being picked up and even try to bite me when I'm offering them a treat ..... Please HELP!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! xx

:wave: Hi I think the hormones are kicking in, they are certainly not nasty. Most rabbits don't like to be picked up and I generally think if at all possible you should try to treat them as you would a small dog, let them move around on the ground independantly as much as possible. There are some who like to be picked up as they have been well handled from birth and are used to it and associate it with pleasure. On the whole though being a prey species means they are less threatened with their feet on the ground. I would say you need to get them neutered and once their hormones have settled try bonding them again in a neutral area. How badly were they fighting what I mean is the bond may not be broken but, as with any species they are going to have days when they don't get on and are aggressive with each other, the general rule is that chasing, nipping and fur pulling are normal it's when it's proper locked on fighting with aggression that you need to separate them. How are they housed now?

They are definitely both girls. They went to the vets last week to have their injections. Vet checked them over and checked their sex!

Before getting the girls, I did 'read up' on having two rabbits. Many places suggested that having two girls together would be fine, so long as they had always lived together and were sisters. I am guessing this was not true!

They live indoors, in a large wooden cage. It has a two storey bed area.

Yes they are still living together. Jessica was particularly nasty to Chloe when they were outside in their rabbit run. I havent put them in their run since!

They don't appear to bully each other while in the cage. However, they are nasty to me too, thats the most worrying thing!

I let them run around the conservatory and I take them out of the cage to sit on the sofa and watch tv with me!

They are OK with that then, I am just wondering if something maybe spooked them outside or if it was a bit cold maybe? I would just continue with what your doing in terms of stroking, hand feeding, brushing but, avoid picking up and try and sit on the floor and let them come to you. I think it's probably wise to get them both neutered at the same time, your vet will advise when but, the main thing is not to react to the bad behaviour, it's far better to ignore it but, reward good behaviour. If they are still getting along I would say they haven't completely fallen out and perhaps they just didn't want to go in the run at that time? Thats why the runs fitted to sheds/kennels/hutches are better or just being able to open the door and let them out to run around, that way they are choosing rather than being picked up and put somewhere when they might not want to. Hope they settle down for you. x

Hi,
I'm by no means an expert but I do think patience can win through eventually. I have a 10 month old boy who has always loved being picked up cuddled etc. , never a problem. I also have a 6 month old girl ( they are not together yet as although he's castrated she hasn't been neutered yet). She will run at my hand but as long as I don't pull away she stops and will let me stroke her, in fact loves strokes and nose rubs. Sometimes I fuss her then will try and pick her up and she will run. She knows now that if she does that then comes straight back to me then I won't try and pick her up again at that time. I spend a lot of time on the floor with my bunnies, luckily I have the space and therefore have gained trust but importantly know the bunnies and their ways. They are very much like people in that they all have their own personalities. A friend who had two girls who were sisters started to fight and bully at about 4/5 months. She kept a very close eye and now they are a year old they are fine. Hopefully yours are going through a phase, sure neutering would help, but patience and getting to know bunnies ways will be good for you - not saying you don't already. I wouldn't consider rehoming one unless absolutely necessary. People tend to think that bunnies are an easy option, looked after properly they are definately not. Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

Yes they are still living together. Jessica was particularly nasty to Chloe when they were outside in their rabbit run. I havent put them in their run since!

They don't appear to bully each other while in the cage. However, they are nasty to me too, thats the most worrying thing!

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

I think that they are maturing and their hormones are starting to take over. Take them to a good vet who has alot of rabbit experience and get them both neutered, this will improve their behaviour and make them happier buns :) Personally I would persevere with the hands on as best you can but get them spayed as soon as they are old enough.

Reall wouldn't rehome one, if they aren't spayed then the remaining buns stroppiness will probably remain.

Thanks Rykat!

So if I have them both spayed, will it DEFINITELY improve their behaviour? They are very big babies, even at 15 weeks! Do you think I should wait til they are alot older to be done?

Thanks Rykat!

So if I have them both spayed, will it DEFINITELY improve their behaviour? They are very big babies, even at 15 weeks! Do you think I should wait til they are alot older to be done?

I'm not a vet just a bunny/dog slave :lol: BUT from my experience yes it will improve their behaviour. Unless there is a medical reason then neutering usually does cure the behaviour you have mentioned .. certainly has with my stroppy buns ! :lol:

BUT I would do my homework and ask around for a very good rabbit vet :)

Back