• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi vacs? update, its been sorted x

I dont know if they are still protected, just assuming they arent because they must have been doing the 10% thing for a reason? x

Yes. The virus first developes in the skin so intradermal vaccination gives the best defence.

If the injection is given all in one place with no amount going into the skin..you will have coverage but not as much as if administered correctly.

Some vets do 2 seperate injections..one into base of ear, or layer of skin somewhere on body..then rest as a normal jab..
There can be a problem with injecting into skin on ear and I have seen most of fluid run back out..so not sure how effective this is if vet is inexperienced:?

Some will use one needle..inject most of fluid then pull needle out as far as skin layer and inject the rest..this is harder to get right..and also harder to see if vet is doing the right way.

You have every right to ask your vet how they administer it and if they do not give 10% into skin them ask them why and take buns elsewhere:D

and as already said you can ask for the 10% to be redone if neccessary

My buns had it in the scruff but then the needle was pulled out nearly the whole way and the last 10% given into the skin in the scruff.

:wave: Thanks Sooz and Jill :D I was sure they hadnt stopped doing it that way :D He definetly didnt do it so I will ask to speak to a more experienced vet Monday and arrange bringing my little buns back for their 10%. Ive no idea why my usual vet isnt there at the moment, I will ask that too so I can ask him to have a word with this vet I saw about the vaccinations because he

My usual vet who I do trust used the one needle and assured me he would get the 10% right and I do trust him with my buns 100%, ive just had trouble finding a replacement vet who I trust in his absence :(

Mine does the 10% first and then puts the needle right into the scruff.

Make sure they dont charge you for the 10%.

Im sure my usual vet wont charge for the 10% once I get there but I will have to pay for another appointment with them now :roll:

Im sure my usual vet wont charge for the 10% once I get there but I will have to pay for another appointment with them now :roll:

They shouldn't charge for that either, kick up merry hell with them....in the waiting room if you have to ;)

They shouldn't charge for that either, kick up merry hell with them....in the waiting room if you have to ;)

Ive done that before with no luck :shock: I took my little Reuben rat in when he was sick and all the vet said was ummm I dunno whats wrong but he doesnt look right does he :roll: And gave me the name of another vet to make an appointment with then charged me £20 for it :shock: Then they charged when I went back to see the other vet too :roll: I made a right fuss but it didnt work :oops:

Yes can anyone tell us if our rabbits are still protected if the injection was given in the scruff of the neck only??????

some vets do all of injection in scruff but pull out either at start or end a little so that the 10% goes in the skin layer so it is same as ear/scruff but i would speak to your vet this is what mine does(scruff only) but she explained it was the same and she thought it was less painful and easier.

I don't believe that you should be paying anything to have this done again, certainly not for an appointment.

If you don't get anywhere I think you should suggest to them that you will be contacting the RCVS (Are Channel Island vets trained/registered by them? Or if not their own governing body). I think that they would have to reconsider their position. A complaint to the RCVS is very serious indeed - the vet should have done it correctly in the first place and certainly should not be telling you something that isn't the truth (my opinion only of course).

Good luck.

I don't believe that you should be paying anything to have this done again, certainly not for an appointment.

If you don't get anywhere I think you should suggest to them that you will be contacting the RCVS (Are Channel Island vets trained/registered by them? Or if not their own governing body). I think that they would have to reconsider their position. A complaint to the RCVS is very serious indeed - the vet should have done it correctly in the first place and certainly should not be telling you something that isn't the truth (my opinion only of course).

Good luck.

Thanks I will definetly mention that :D I wasnt aware I could complain to anyone other than the practise itself which I have done before x

Thanks I will definetly mention that :D I wasnt aware I could complain to anyone other than the practise itself which I have done before x

It is a very serious matter when a complaint goes in to the RCVS so I would only use this as a last resort as it probably won't do a lot for your relationship with this vet practice. Hopefully just mentioning the possibility should get you the reaction you want. I would say also that you should only say it if you are prepared to complain if you don't get the desired result.

Hopefully it won't come to that! :)

It is a very serious matter when a complaint goes in to the RCVS so I would only use this as a last resort as it probably won't do a lot for your relationship with this vet practice. Hopefully just mentioning the possibility should get you the reaction you want. I would say also that you should only say it if you are prepared to complain if you don't get the desired result.

Hopefully it won't come to that! :)

Thanks, I dont have a good relationship with them anyways after the complain I made when Scarlett was spayed :roll: :lol: After taking Reuben to the vet last time my usual rat vet actually complained for me about the way I was treated by a recepionist there :shock:

I think I am going to try another practice, there isnt that much choice here but I have been told of one that is very good with rats so I am going to give them a call and see if I can speak to a vet and ask some bunny questions :D

That sounds like a plan. I always think that we as customers should vote with our feet. If you do decide to leave this practice, I would certainly tell them why otherwise they won't know any different and will probably continue to treat others in the same way.

Hope that this has all happened for a positive reason and that your new practice is exactly right for your and your furries.

Helen

That sounds like a plan. I always think that we as customers should vote with our feet. If you do decide to leave this practice, I would certainly tell them why otherwise they won't know any different and will probably continue to treat others in the same way.

Hope that this has all happened for a positive reason and that your new practice is exactly right for your and your furries.

Helen

Thank you hun :D x

I have emailed my vet to query Tillys protection, as she was only given it in the scruff.

This is the reply I had this morning.

Dear Paula,

You have no concerns as infact 10% of the injection is required to go into the dermis (Skin) which we do as we withdraw the needle. Many practices have diffentent policies on how this should be done and we have found this to be the most comfortable and least distressing for the rabbit.

I hope this has put your mind at rest,

I asked tonight and I am popping Trip and Scarlett back for their 10% when we take Hunter in next week, he said dont mention it to the receptionists just bring them in and he will do it :D

Also just have to tell you all this, Beau was perfect at the vets :love: As the vet was checking him over he lay down all streched out waiting for a massage :shock: :lol:

Back