• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi- advice needed U/D she has gone to the bridge

Looking at those pics and her eyes part of is thinking I should let her go.

Maybe I should let her go while she still is active, I don't want to but its not about me its her. I'm fully prepared to try and nurse her through it but seeing how Heli was I can't see her fighting this.

I went by the fact that I knew their personalities so well and that they were still eating to a degree and still showing their cheeky characters :love:

If you think you should give her a chance and she'd tolerate all the different kinds of medication and lifestyle changes then go for it

Good luck with this.

I lost a couple of buns a few years back to this, the first of which we tried to nurse and it was the most horrific thing I've ever dealt with.

There used to bea really good website with helpful advice - I think it was myxi helpline or something like that.

Cold black tea makes a good soothing eye wash and you could try burning some essential oils to help the chest/breathing, Not too strong tho as buns are sensitive.

oh gosh how awful, poor girl:(

I think, from experience if a non vaccinated bunny gets myxi there isnt much you can do, its such a horrible thing to watch, and it is painful for them.

i am so sorry, :(:(

I'm really sorry, she is a gorgeous rabbit. Sadly if she has myxi and isn't vaccinated you have an uphill battle without much success, if she were mine I'd let her go to Rainbow Bridge :(

Wouldn't you like to kill the person who introduced this awful disease to the rabbits in this country :(

I know exactly what your going through and those pictures have just remined me of my poor Bobby who got myxi. We tried to nurse him through it but unfortunately he didnt make it. Nursing him was the most awful thing but looking back Im pleased he slipped away and I didnt have to make the decision. I decided to nurse him as he was still eating and drinking and was still active. I would seriously consider having a go at nursing your bunny through this it is not pleasant at all but if the worse does happen you can tell yourself that you did everything you could. Sending lots of vibes xx

Hi she is still doing really well eating, drinking active etc. Finally spoke to the vet much later due to emergency journey to A&E with my 5 year old :shock:.

Vet said she would like to do an antibiotic injection which she will do at 8.30am.

At the moment I'm just giving her the chance but if I think for one minute she is going to suffer or go down hill I will call vet out I don't care if its the middle of the night.

Bluebunny I was late with getting the vaccine because my daughter stayed in hospital and was poorly for a bit. I naively thought they would be safe in our garden. I'm an idiot and I deserve to suffer not my bunnies.

One thing though was just giving her eye drops and I noticed her fur is thinning around her muzzle she has a small bald patch developing any ideas on this??

Is your rabbit vaccinated

No, Honeybuns has already explained that.

Honeybuns is she on systemic antibiotics and anti-inflmmatories ?
Can you get her into an environmental temp of 85c+ (anecdotal evidence that this increases chances of survival)

You have a major uphill battle and sadly statistically you are unlikely to win :cry: But whilst Bun is still willing to eat and has adequate pain relief and antibiotics then I'd keep trying. Should Bun stop eating and/or pooing I would not attempt syringe feeds, I would let her go.

I am so sorry that this has happened :cry:

Hi she is still doing really well eating, drinking active etc. Finally spoke to the vet much later due to emergency journey to A&E with my 5 year old :shock:.

Vet said she would like to do an antibiotic injection which she will do at 8.30am.

At the moment I'm just giving her the chance but if I think for one minute she is going to suffer or go down hill I will call vet out I don't care if its the middle of the night.

Bluebunny I was late with getting the vaccine because my daughter stayed in hospital and was poorly for a bit. I naively thought they would be safe in our garden. I'm an idiot and I deserve to suffer not my bunnies.

One thing though was just giving her eye drops and I noticed her fur is thinning around her muzzle she has a small bald patch developing any ideas on this??

How long has she had it now? It is a horrible thing one of my rabbits caught it i nursed him for 4 weeks he started getting better but then i got home one night he couldnt get up and i had to have him pts
Im not sure on the baldness but william did go completly bald on his muzzle

Hi,

at the moment she just has antibiotic eye drops, and tomorrow the vet is injecting with antibiotics but will know more when the vet sees her. Will take the vets advice if she ever says she thinks we should let her go I will. I have a note of different things to ask or suggest to the vets. So fingers crossed. We are turning up the temperature.

She is not a cuddly bunny and I was trying to coax her for her eye drops with some treats and she stole the treats and ran away still got spirit so that's something. Luckily our vets do not mind us calling and know we have never let an animal suffer so we have good support. I guess I just see how she goes till vets then see what vet says.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Well saw vet this morning she has injected an antibiotic and an anti inflammatory. She has given us different eye drops. She didn't seem to think we should let her go yet as her developing has been very slow and she is not sure which way she will go. Back in Saturday for more injections unless she worsens in the meantime.She weighed her as well.

she was a bit quiet after jabs this morning but has perked up through out day. She has had dinner and is now eating some cabbage as a treat. She seems to be a fighter but only time will tell, I haven't got my hopes up but I'm just giving her lots of positive thoughts.

She is a gorgeous girlie.

good luck it is very hard in unvacs buns but if you and vet think she has a chance then go for it fight it all the way good luck really holding out all my vibes here xx

I've got everything crossed that your girlie is strong enough to win the battle.I lost my two unvaccinated boys to myxi a couple of years ago so know exactly how you're feeling - it's awful, but you need to stay positive for your girl, she's got a long hard fight ahead of her. i truly hope your bun will triumph :wave:

She has deteriorated slightly i think. After we did her drops this morning she was upset and gasping through mouth. She peed on me just now when I checked her, Vets at 3.10 I think it may be time but my husband it is finding it hard to accept as she still eating and drinking.

She has deteriorated slightly i think. After we did her drops this morning she was upset and gasping through mouth. She peed on me just now when I checked her, Vets at 3.10 I think it may be time but my husband it is finding it hard to accept as she still eating and drinking.

Listen to the vet, but do what you feel is right.If you think she is suffering & the vet says she isn't going to get better, let her go.When i had my boys pts i felt awful afterwards, wondering if i gave upon them too easily, thinking i could've done more, unfortunately, the reality is, an unvaccinated bun has a very small chance of surviving myxi.It's such an awful situation to be in, you just have to go with your instinct.Good luck at the vet - i hope it goes well.Lots of vibes to your little girl.

Back