• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Wendy House Project - Update Pg4 - Its ready!!!

It looks great :) Can't wait to see what it looks like when its done, it looks like your bunnies will have loads of space

Thank you!! Today has been a good day, firstly I had the day off of work :D then I managed to convince the OH to come looking for some tunnel pipe & wood... It took ages but we got lots of useful free /recycled stuff today!!! Home base have a free offcuts section and was our lucky day as someone had disposed of loads of big bits if wood, perfect for lining the Wendy house and also for making the second level/ shelf area. In there as well there was a dismantled bathroom cabinet, which as it was supposed to fit around a sink already has the arches / makings of a bunny shelter / play area! Yay! Also came with some cute little doors which will come in handy for something or other! We got a big piece of perspex ( must be broken display) which we can cut to use for the windows, its a bit scratched but will certainly do the job. We were driving around on the way to the garden centre and found some intact panes of glass (in amongst alot of broken glass so we had to extract very carefully) just fly tipped on the side of the road!!! They are too big for the Wendy house but will certainly be useful for a cold frame or something! To top it all off though, also abandoned on the side of the road was a clay pipe, about a metre long, 6 inches wide and high.... Bunny size!!! So chuffed!! It really is amazing what you can find when you start looking and it feels great to not only get it for free but to save stuff that will only end up in landfill!! Will be getting on with the build tomorrow and post pics of the progress :D xxx

Hi Everyone, well we spent most of the weekend working on it (even in the rain :( ) and we now have the run standing and roof secured. :D I also found a perfect sized photo frame in a charity shop which I have upcycled to create one of the Wendy house windows (will be on hinges so it can open) ... I need to find another one now!! The inside of the Wendy house now has lino and a shelf too, its also partly lined with the wood we got free from homebase! Ill take a pic when thats finished though. I am not sure at the moment whether to leave the wood on the run natural (it has been treated) or paint it the same dark green as the Wendy house. Im thinking if I paint it, it will blend in better. But then if I leave it, the wood will weather naturally. Obviously if I paint it I cant go back. What does everyone think??? xxx

photo by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

Photo frame converted to wendy house window:
BEFORE

photo (3) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

photo (1) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

AFTER

photo (2) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

Whoops forgot to say, i'd paint it all to match personally, but you can always decide to do that in the spring :)

Thank you!!! :) Yes the more I look at it, the more im thinking we will paint it, but that can wait for a bit I think!! The roof doesn't quite cover the whole run, so thinking Im going to get some heavy duty polythene sheet to fill the gap for now, until I can get something more suitable / permanent. Maybe we over complicated it a bit but it took a lot longer than I thought. The posts holding the roof up are all (apart from one) dug into the ground so its sturdy. Plus as we reclaimed almost all of the wood (apart from the main mesh panels) it made it a bit trickier as they were all different lengths and didn't have particularly straight edges!! And we live on a hill so its not 'level', but never will be so not too concerned with that!!! Never done anything like this before, its been quite a learning curve. Lol xxx

Well, its taken a while but the wendy house and run are ready for some bunnies (there will be a few more finishing touches but its fundamentally ready...) YAY!

The run has a roof, a door and is completely meshed to the top. The wendy house has opening windows! The left window was a converted photo frame (see Pg3), the right window was 4 planks of wood and a bit of glass from a photo frame (the frame wasn't quite wide enough so I took the glass out and made my own!!) I do just need to add the hinges to that but that will take only a few mins. Inside there is a second level accessed by a ramp, so bunnies can hop up there and enjoy the view out the window. Underneath there as well we made a little hidey tunnel, (sorry pic not great of that Ill take another later)... They can snuggle up in there (will be hay filled) and they can also use it as a tunnel as it has an arch on either side. We got a longer 6 inch diameter pipe which connects the wendy house and run, (the clay one we picked up will be for fun in the run itself). I cut a strip of carpet for it which is stuck down with double sided tape so buns wont slip when they run in and out.

I think that covers it!!! :D We had our home visit from the RSPCA on Saturday so watch this space.... :)

photo (2) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr
photo (1) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr
photo by o_chloe_o, on Flickr
photo (4) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr
photo (5) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr
photo (3) by o_chloe_o, on Flickr

Nice use of fencing inside! Good luck with the buns, and I hope they like it when you get them! I know mine would >D

Very nice! Do you get any feedback on your inspection - I bet they don't often see accommodation built with that much thought to bunnies needs.

You might plan already, but I'd be tempted just to add an extra bit of wood framing around the pipe where it goes through the mesh so you can staple the mesh to something so it can't bend up.

This looks amazing :D

You even made opening windows out of wood and frames. So resourceful - I wouldn't know where to start

Looks amazing :love:, I agree with Tamsin about putting wood around the pipe to strengthen it :thumb:

Back