• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My two rescued rabbits I got today

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So last night I came across an add on the web while searching for rabbits and found some babies in need of a new home. I got right on to it and picked them up today. I had to travel quite a way to get them and they have had a long journey so I'm going to give them some quiet time in there box with some food and water so they can settle in. They are both eating and grooming which are good signs. I'm very happy I got these.

OfK8phL.jpg

They are about 8 weeks old the black one is male and the other is female. I will need to get the male neutered soon. It is hard to tell there sex because they are so young but as far as I can tell right now the black one is male.

I have thought of a name for the black bunny but still deciding. I might call him lucky. I used to have a Lurcher cross Lab dog called lucky when I was a kid who had two white paws with a bit of white under his chin. My black bunny has similar markings.

They have been eating like there is no tomorrow I don't think they were fed very well. I can't wait until they grow into adults. They are a bit small and fragile for cuddles at the moment. I'll be getting them there vaccines next month.

Lucky in honour of your childhood dog sounds lovely name. Could you bring their vaccines forward to this month? Just with rhd2 being more of a danger these last couple of years?

Lucky in honour of your childhood dog sounds lovely name. Could you bring their vaccines forward to this month? Just with rhd2 being more of a danger these last couple of years?

I did think about it but because these rabbits are so young and also the long journey they had, I want to give them some time to adjust before taking them on another journey just encase it causes them stress but at the same its very important I get there jabs A.S.A.P I think I'll give it a week or so and then get there jabs sorted. I'll bring one at a time.

I did think about it but because these rabbits are so young and also the long journey they had, I want to give them some time to adjust before taking them on another journey just encase it causes them stress but at the same its very important I get there jabs A.S.A.P I think I'll give it a week or so and then get there jabs sorted. I'll bring one at a time.

They’ll be absolutely fine. The most important thing is getting them vaccinated ASAP - all rescues that come into us are done in the first day or so of coming in, to protect them. They can settle in afterwards over time. Also, don’t take them one at a time - they need to stay together at all times as not to risk their bond, which is already not secure due to them just being babies, therefore is a ‘baby bond’. I would really consider vaccinating them both within the next few days, it’s very important.

I've checked Lucky this morning and I can confirm he is male, the other is female. I have a little problem now and I'm going to need to act before its to late. Although there is no humping going on I may have to separate them in the next few days or so. Lucky may be to young to be neutered at this point. I feel so silly I was listening to my heart rather than thinking with my brain when I saw these two.

I'm going to have to get some pen fencing so I can make another bunny safe room for Lucky, he will be on his own but I'll give him as much attention as possible. I have another potential rescue of a female bunny so the other wont be lonely but Lucky will.

I've checked Lucky this morning and I can confirm he is male, the other is female. I have a little problem now and I'm going to need to act before its to late. Although there is no humping going on I may have to separate them in the next few days or so. Lucky may be to young to be neutered at this point. I feel so silly I was listening to my heart rather than thinking with my brain when I saw these two.

I'm going to have to get some pen fencing so I can make another bunny safe room for Lucky, he will be on his own but I'll give him as much attention as possible. I have another potential rescue of a female bunny so the other wont be lonely but Lucky will.

I think I would be considering quarantine for any new rabbit, depending on where you are rescuing her from. Also, when you are at the vets getting them vaccinated, you could also get the vet to confirm Lucky's sex and ask when he could be neutered.

You need to separate them TODAY. You cannot guarantee the age of the Doe, if she is actually a Doe. She looks a lot younger than Lucky so she might be a he who’s testicles have not yet descended. It is not worth the risk of keeping them together now.

If Lucky’s testicles have dropped and he weighs over 1kg, which from the photos I am sure he does, then he is OK to be neutered.

I would get them both vaccinated first though. This is the most essential thing as until they are vaccinated they are at high risk. Lucky could then be neutered 3 weeks after his vaccination. Bucks can remain fertile for 6-8 weeks AFTER neutering, so you will not be able to bond him with any unspayed Doe until after that period of time.

It is good in a way that you have a male and a female as that is usually the easiest combination to bond.

Hope Lucky can be neutered asap.

He is a definite male I am 100% I'm sorting out the room right now clearing out some junk getting it ready so hopefully he can be in there by this afternoon.

You need to separate them TODAY. You cannot guarantee the age of the Doe, if she is actually a Doe. She looks a lot younger than Lucky so she might be a he who’s testicles have not yet descended. It is not worth the risk of keeping them together now.

If Lucky’s testicles have dropped and he weighs over 1kg, which from the photos I am sure he does, then he is OK to be neutered.

I would get them both vaccinated first though. This is the most essential thing as until they are vaccinated they are at high risk. Lucky could then be neutered 3 weeks after his vaccination. Bucks can remain fertile for 6-8 weeks AFTER neutering, so you will not be able to bond him with any unspayed Doe until after that period of time.

His testicles haven't dropped yet but I can see that he is male. I'd say in another week maybe two they will start to appear. I'm pretty sure that these are from the same litter so they'd be the same age.

Back