• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My sisters rabbits after dog attack. Pics UPDATE SAD NEWS

so sorry to hear about this awful situation and the loss of giszmo:cry:. healing vibes for bubbles. x

its a very difficult situation as no-one actually saw the attack but i would still inform the police and, even if they cant do anything this time, it will all be logged for future reference if it is ever needed ( heaven forbid! ). x x

Im sorry this has happened to this poor bunny. Is this a council property or privately owned. These dogs could get out again and next time kill a small child. The RSPCA has to be called or the council needs to look at higher fencing. You cannot live in dread of them coming back.

This is so horrible. Poor Gizmo :( at least she's not suffering anymore though. I hope everything goes well for Bubbles x x x

Is there any trace left outside that the dogs were out 24/7? I would definately phone the RSPCA and make a complaint and let them have access to the vets records of your sisters buns too.

So Sorry Giz didn't make it:cry:

I am so so sorry for your loss. run free dear little one

We had something like this happen a while back here in my village but a man let his dogs into gardens and killed a few rabbits on the village no one could proof who it was but people had an idea. The poilce and the rspca were called out and the poilice took it really seriously so I would call the people and say who dogs you think did it as they can go round and warn them that if it was there dogs and they do it again then they will be in serious trouble.
I know it won't bring back your baby but at least you know you did everything you could so your buns death wasn't in vein.

Sorry for your loss:cry:. Can you be sure it wasnt a fox(s)? Is there an opening in the fence the dogs could use to get to the bunnies?

I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news. Poor bunnies. :cry:

Tamsin is right, if there are no witnesses to the incident then it will be very difficult to prove it was their dog.

If the owners have contents insurance there will be a liability section which may cover this type of thing. Alghough you will have to prove that it was their dog who caused the injury and that the owner had been negligent. (This is what happens under Scots Law, may be different in England check with CAB)

Definitely inform the police though as it could just as easily be a child next time.

I would speak to citizens advice. It's your neighbours responsibility to make sure their garden is enclosed and the dogs can't get out. If they do then as far as I know they are responsible for any damage caused. You can write a letter asking them to contribute towards vet costs - you could also go through the small claims court.

Unless you or someone saw it happen, or they admit it, then you might have trouble proving it was their dog.

Tam

I am very sorry about your sisters bun... Having looked after a bun after a savage attack as well it is quite traumatising :(

Please can we not get all "next time it might be a child"... Dogs can distinguish between a rabbit and a child and it is unwise to say that the dog (dogs) have turned blood hungry and will be on the look out for a tasty child to savage now...
If the dogs have not shown any aggression to humans then it is very unlikely that they will bite to maul... Dogs chase and sometimes kill. That is their genetic make up, we can control that to a certain extent and it is obvious that these owners haven't a clue how to do this.

Im sorry but having been involved with greyhounds and the bad press they have got regarding a few chasing and killing small animals and people saying the same thing about them when they would never think of mauling a small child...and the ones that have gone into rescue because of this are wonderful family pets but cannot be trusted with small furries...

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Bubbles is having surgery tomorrow so all the vibes are appreciated.

Unfortuantely neighbours only heard next door shouting at the dogs to get off and the man was shouting at the woman to get them quick.

When my sister asked these neighbours if they had seen or heard anything they said no, nothing.
After checking the fencing my sister has found that a flagstone has been put behind some of the wire which wasn't there before.

I am so sorry to hear that Gizmo didn't make it:cry:. I am truly shocked by what has happened. I do hope Bubbles makes a full recovery.-Suex

that is really awful. and how awful of the nighbours to call their dogs off and not tell anyone there were injured bunnies - they must have seen the state the bunnies were left in. :(

Similar

Hi I am so sorry to hear about your sisters bunnies:cry: a similar thing happened to one of my rabbits with my neighbours jack russell dog he got into my garden after he dug a hole under my fence and got hold of Smudge he broke his jaw and one of his ears flopped he was also in shock but the vet told me to take him home and grate up his veg for him and see if he survives (to give him a chance), and he did. So with a bit of patience and time these little animals can get better from such cruel attacks.

Last edited:
I've only just seen this thread... I am so, so sorry :cry: What an absolutely dreadful incident :cry:

People that keep pets should be responsible for them, this goes for dogs and keeping them within your own property :censored:

I would really try to peruse this matter, maybe like others have suggested, speaking to the CAB.

Would your other neighbors be willing to testify do you think? Just because they didn't see the incident doesn't mean what they heard wouldn't be enough evidence for a witness statement. If what they heard happened at around the right time of day, and if that type of shouting is unusual it might be enough to stand up in court. If they can remember their words, which was something like "Get the dogs, come her, stop that" I think that is quite telling as to what was happening :?

I really hope Bubbles has pulled through. So sorry about Gizmo, binky free sweet bunny xxx

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the late update, bubbles is doing really well now, he has is off days but hopefully his new girlfriend(my sis brought her home today) will cheer him up.

Back