• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Rabbits are NOT my Surrogate Children !!

I post on a childfree section of another forum type thing (reddit) and the abuse some women get for not wanting to have kids is just vile. I have no idea why strangers care what people are going to do with their wombs.

*Disclaimer* Thread NOT relating to anything 'said' on RU, but to something a neighbour has just said to me

Why do so many people assume that because I have no children I 'must' consider my Rabbits to be my 'babies'. They are not !! They are Rabbits. I love them unconditionally and I would sell my soul for them, but if one more person states that as I am childless I 'must' see my Rabbits as 'the babies I never had' I think I will scream.............................

Just saying.......................

*mutter.......mutter........mutter.......*
My rabbits are a substitute for not having a boyfriend.... apparenntly! :roll:

I post on a childfree section of another forum type thing (reddit) and the abuse some women get for not wanting to have kids is just vile. I have no idea why strangers care what people are going to do with their wombs.

I have no idea why strangers care what people do (or don't do!) with their genitals. It's none of their business.

I've also had this as well, somebody once even asked me if I was barren and couldn't have children. My bunnies are my babies I guess but they are all I have and to be honest they keep me going. If I didn't have them I doubt
I would be here, for me they have given me life and I love them more than most people as they don't and have never hurt me.

I just didn't have children as I have clinical depression and I didn't want them to turn out like me, I don't regret it and when I look at the state of the world I'm glad I didn't.

You see, now THAT is a seriously rude question in my opinion. :? I would never think to ask someone that as it's so personal and certainly no one's business. Not to mention it can be hurtful to a sensitive individual. My OH's aunt could not conceive and desperatley wanted babies. It was simply a subject that was not broached under any circumstances. Of course our current society is so embroiled in having to know everything about a person (i.e. all these reality shows) that the inappropriateness of some statements really shouldn't shock me, but it does. :(

((((((Huge hugs)))))) for you Tuckerbunnies. While I don't regret having children, I fear that I have spread my own mental issues to them and saddled them with an incredible burden. I empathize with your choice. It must have been a hard one to make but I understand it. xxxx

my sister in law gave up the idea of having children to be with my brother. she didn't mind so much when we were younger but now I have a granddaughter, her eyes fill with tears when she sees the baby. so in their fifties they have their first dog. its a mad, bad, dangerous to know border collie, but she clearly loves it as if it were her child.

I would hate anyone to ask her if she were 'barren'. what could she say? 'no, I gave up my hope of children to marry the man I love, though I knew would never be a father'. she wouldn't say that. he's aspergers, as well. my goodness, she must love him! when other women pay attention to him, she says 'go! we'll see how long she'll put up with you!' :lol:

I don't think its wrong if your animals are your babies. I do think its wrong of people to crash in with the assumption that animals are child substitutes.

my sister in law gave up the idea of having children to be with my brother. she didn't mind so much when we were younger but now I have a granddaughter, her eyes fill with tears when she sees the baby. so in their fifties they have their first dog. its a mad, bad, dangerous to know border collie, but she clearly loves it as if it were her child.

I would hate anyone to ask her if she were 'barren'. what could she say? 'no, I gave up my hope of children to marry the man I love, though I knew would never be a father'. she wouldn't say that. he's aspergers, as well. my goodness, she must love him! when other women pay attention to him, she says 'go! we'll see how long she'll put up with you!' :lol:

I don't think its wrong if your animals are your babies. I do think its wrong of people to crash in with the assumption that animals are child substitutes.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I treat my rabbits like rabbits - spoiled and pampered, but still rabbits. That said apart from Berry my others have all arrived at our home following failed Ivf treatment so I guess they are my substitute babies. I have no problem saying that as I am very confident in the way I care for them but it should not be assumed and there is certainly nothing wrong with not wanting children.

My sister was sterilised at 32 as she knew she would never want children - far more responsible than doing the norm when your heart is not in it .

It's a shame that people think any activity undertaken by childless people is a substitute/distraction for having children. Some people are just interested in different things and find fulfilment elsewhere. Sigh.

I am in my 20s so potentially have 50+ years of people making comments like this. :roll:

It's a shame that people think any activity undertaken by childless people is a substitute/distraction for having children. Some people are just interested in different things and find fulfilment elsewhere. Sigh.

I am in my 20s so potentially have 50+ years of people making comments like this. :roll:

Indeed. Maybe we could start a club...

I've also had this as well, somebody once even asked me if I was barren and couldn't have children. My bunnies are my babies I guess but they are all I have and to be honest they keep me going. If I didn't have them I doubt
I would be here, for me they have given me life and I love them more than most people as they don't and have never hurt me.

I just didn't have children as I have clinical depression and I didn't want them to turn out like me, I don't regret it and when I look at the state of the world I'm glad I didn't.

What an inappropriate question to ask! If somebody asked me that I would probably burst into tears and then they'd be sorry they asked!!

People can be so insensitive, hope you are okay :)

IMO everyone is different and having pets fills a different need.

When I was 14 I would fantasize about getting married and having a brown haired son. Not long after that I began to work with animals and I loved it. The caring aspect really appealed to and for some reason I am attracted to vulnerability, it makes me feel protective and wanting to help. So I do have maternal instincts and the rabbits are part of my family. They are like kids to me. I don't see them as babies ( I have a human baby for that) but I do see them as very intelligent toddlers. They need me and I like that, its nice to feel needed. They are small and vulnerable, they do need looking after. I adopted them and I see that as being not too different to adopting children who are not biologically mine.

My Mum would love to be a grandmother, but I really don't think it's going to happen! She will have to make do with Grandbunnies!

I suppose I do kind of see myself as a Bunny Mummy, and I do like looking after people and rabbits, but mostly they are my best friends. :) They make me smile and laugh. ..and cry!

I am nervous around children. I have Emetaphobia (fear of being sick), so bunnies are perfect for me!

My Mum would love to be a grandmother, but I really don't think it's going to happen! She will have to make do with Grandbunnies!

I suppose I do kind of see myself as a Bunny Mummy, and I do like looking after people and rabbits, but mostly they are my best friends. :) They make me smile and laugh. ..and cry!

I am nervous around children. I have Emetaphobia (fear of being sick), so bunnies are perfect for me!

That's a match made in heaven!

Back