• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit is having problems with her wee

Holly

New Kit
hey everyone, i was wondering if anyone else has had any similar troubles with there bun?
i have a lovely rather large french lop called dillon.shes 3 now and since i got her shes always done quite a large amount of wee during the night in her hutch.i clean her every morning and it was always rather soggy. she got a tiny sore patch on her hock which i got cream for straight away and then over the next few days i started to notice that she wasnt weeing as much during the night. i kept an eye on her and she then didnt do any wee atall during the night. i took her to the vet and she did a urine sample which came back with a bacteria in which the vet said i should give her antibiotics for, everything else came back as being normal. i injected her with a 5 day course of antibiotics but nothing changed really.

shes always been a greedy pig and is still enjoying her food and over the last few days seem to have been bright and jolly, she does seem quiet today but i dont know if thats because im looking for something to be wrong. she is doing wee's but just nothing during the night. i took her back to the vet but she thinks she's to well in herself to have anything wrong with her.

i just dont feel right about leaving her and think there has to be a reason for why all of a sudden she would stop weeing like she was. she's not weeing as much atall.

i'm sorry for going on, i never feel happy when i think she's not right and would be greatful to hear of your thoughts.

Thanks

Does she ever wee on her leg or seem to strain when she's peeing? Is her posture hunched up or coes she seem relaxed and happy? Does she grind her teeth excessivley?

What veg does she get fed and how much?

Hello

Did the Vet re-test your Buns wee 48 hours AFTER finishing the antibiotics?
My Vet always prescribes at least 7 days of antibiotic treatment for bladder infections. Maybe the infection has not cleared and consequently your Bun is weeing less because it stings to do so.
Is your Rabbit spayed?
If you are concerned that your Rabbit is still 'not right' I would take her back to the Vet.

Janex

Was the antibiotic course 1 long acting injection or 5 seperate ones? With UTI's I thought it was best to give oral baytril as it passes directly through the urinary tract.

over the last couple of days shes been fine with her back legs kicked out behind her. today shes been a bit hunched but is hopping about eating the grass.

she doesnt get a massive amount of veg as in the past its caused tummy upset. she has a good timothy hay, about 3 carrots and as much grass as she can eat. i never give her many pellets as she becomes fat quickly and i know the best thing for her teeth is the grass and hay.she's abit of a lazy lump really.

ive been looking out for her grinding but i havent seen her do it yet. she wees on her leg sometimes but thats normally when she does a wee on a suface that doesnt soak it up.

She's eating too many carrots but I dont think thats the cause of your problem (they contain loads of sugar and are very fattening too).

the antibiotics was 5 seperate ones.

she isnt spade. shes had quite alot of respitary problems over the last few years which made the risk of her not making it through surgery very high.

i really hope its not uterine cancer as i know how many now get it under 5.the people from the lab said her urine was a nice colour and theres been no blood.

The stats for uterine cancer are 80% of does over 5 years will develope it.

I dont know about the stats for younger buns but i think it should be way down your list of likely problems.

Did she have probiotics whilst on the antibiotics?

I think you should have her tested again if you feel she isnt right. You know her best. :D

thanks for everyone replying so quickly.

yeah she did have probiotics.

i will stop giving her so many carrots.

shes just been running around the garden looking so lively. i think the vet often thinks im mad as im the type of person that rushes her there when i see her sneeze lol. i live in cornwall and have had to take one of our dogs to bristol for treatment and i know they have a rabbit unit there. does anyone know of any good rabbit vets in the cornwall or devon area?
i will get her another appointment. i took her yesterday because she didnt wee in the night and didnt do much wee in the morning and she did a great big wee on the way and when we got there, shes a cheeky monkey :D
she didnt wee last night and the minute i put her outside she went and did a wee, i sometimes wonder if they do it just to make us worrie!

Back