• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has Myxomotosis

Over Christmas I had intended for Rosie to stay indoors but told that she would have to go in a garage at my partner's parents place whilst we're staying there but maybe this isn't such a good idea. I think I will give them a ring this evening and see if I can appeal her case..

She's staying in the spare-room until the Spring then. Thanks for the advice.
Made a quick phonecall home to warn the man of the house at arms length because I thought that he's likely to go into a nag about it but surprisingly he's not moaned about it at all. Now to get her indoor accommodation sorted for over Christmas, I'm sure that they won't mind, either that or I stay at home with the buns!.

Thats OK. :D

Rabbits mault around 4 times per year and basically as she has not been living outside since poorly her coat wouldn't of adapted enough for her to go outside yet. It's like you going out without your coat on, except you get locked out and have to spend all night out there :lol:

At least she has the spare room :D Good luck rebonding them when the time comes;)

* I wouldn't let her out at all really but if you get a fairly mild day then perhaps put her by the back door and if she chooses to go out let her, but only for 5 mins or so :roll:

Thank you. ok I will keep her indoors until spring she seems to like it in there now she's feeling better.

I have just ordered another indoor cage. I'm going to try Audrey in there as well for rebonding them and see how it goes. My partner is going to go ape that I've bought another indoor cage but I'll cross that bridge later ;)

aww im sorry to hear she ahs been poorly and sorry i didnt see the thread before to offer you help is she completly better now? i echoe what the others say and keep her indoors i would bring the other bun in too and rebond them somewhere neutral else the one outside will get lonely. you could get a dog crate off ebay a 48inch relativly cheap or build a cage using nic cubes(Sorry if this has already been mentioned iv only k=skimmed the thread! x

Hello bunlover

Yes she seems to be feeling better now. She has been a bit spoilt!.
I have a great VET nearby.

The dog managed to get upstairs and chase her into her cage one day but even that couldn't put her off her food, she just sat there tucking in. Megan thinks she's a toy to chase I think.

We got 3 rabbits from the RSPCA - unfortuantely with Myxi :censored:. After 8 weeks of fighting it, we lost 2 of the RSPCA bunnies and 12 of our own :cry: One of the RSPCA bunnies survived, with a lot of care.

Bring them into the warm, they have trouble keeping body temperature regulated. Make sure not too warm though.

If trouble breathing, try vicks in boiling water in the room, or an olbas plug in. It helped ours.

If on anti-biotics, make sure they have probiotics too, about an hour later, as the antibiotics will kill their normal gut bacteria and cause more trouble.

We used a clear gel, normally used on humans for ulcers, burns, etc. on the sores. They healed quite quickly with it, not many scars, but some jagged ear edges !

Be prepared to try everything food wise. I will not say this is the right thing to do, but we used Warburtons seeded batch bread and hob-nobs to keep him eating. If he stopped eating and went into stasis he would have died.

He still has bread, and a little biscuit as a treat, but does eat veg and rabbit food now !

Be prepared for lots of problems, even if the myxi is survived. Our bun has teeth problems caused by the swelling moving his tooth roots. His immune system is compromised, so he has eye problems and any infection takes ages to clear. He developed sceptic arthritis in one shoulder, which was mis-diagnosed by 2 vets for 4 months until we went elsewhere. Unfortunately the joint is permanently damaged and he is on pain relief permanently for it now.

It may seem like you are doing all you can for the rabbit, but you really need to consider if you are doing it for the rabbit or yourself. If they survive, they may spend the rest of their life with lots of problems. Given the choice now, I would probably opt for euthanasia. Our bun lives indoors and is great fun to be with, but I do sometimes wonder if we did him any favours, as he has monthly dentals and eye flushes and we are always worrying about his shoulder.

Colin

Thanks Raven-Rex. She has fully recovered from the audible breathing. She is almost back to full health although I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow because she has what I think is an ulcer in her eye, it was getting smaller but now has increased in size and looks red so this needs seeing to ASAP. The vet has been putting a dye in her eye.

Hello Colin

I appreciate what you have said in the message yesterday. When my rabbit's nose looked very sore this was the point at which I thought she may be in too much pain to handle. The vet convinced me that she would be fine and she went on metacam (but not for too long). Rosie's nose is all healed now. I have sought the vets advise on whether to euthanise her or not and I am not helping her to recover for my own sake. If I had not sought a medical opinon on her chances of recovery then she would have been put to sleep about two weeks ago. In retrospect the entire time she has been ill she has continued to eat normally and she has not shown signs of giving up. I am seeing the vet again tomorrow and I have continually been taking her there for check-ups, I have seen a different vet on one occasion and he was impressed with her progress. I do appreciate that there may be further problems down the line and she is insured. I have followed a Myxi diary sent to me by someone with Myxi rabbits and this was forwarded on by the RWA so that I have been prepared for the long haul. She is in her 10th week of the illness. I think the liklihood of a full recovery for myxi rabbits needs to be taken on a case by case basis. I don't think there is an advantage in supposing all rabbits need to be put to sleep or all rabbits will fully recover or all rabbits will end up with long term health issues. I am simply taking advice on a day by day basis. There is no point at which I will say that's it I won't re-evaluate her condition and consider putting her to sleep if this looks like the kindest option.

We got 3 rabbits from the RSPCA - unfortuantely with Myxi :censored:. After 8 weeks of fighting it, we lost 2 of the RSPCA bunnies and 12 of our own :cry: One of the RSPCA bunnies survived, with a lot of care.

Bring them into the warm, they have trouble keeping body temperature regulated. Make sure not too warm though.

If trouble breathing, try vicks in boiling water in the room, or an olbas plug in. It helped ours.

If on anti-biotics, make sure they have probiotics too, about an hour later, as the antibiotics will kill their normal gut bacteria and cause more trouble.

We used a clear gel, normally used on humans for ulcers, burns, etc. on the sores. They healed quite quickly with it, not many scars, but some jagged ear edges !

Be prepared to try everything food wise. I will not say this is the right thing to do, but we used Warburtons seeded batch bread and hob-nobs to keep him eating. If he stopped eating and went into stasis he would have died.

He still has bread, and a little biscuit as a treat, but does eat veg and rabbit food now !

Be prepared for lots of problems, even if the myxi is survived. Our bun has teeth problems caused by the swelling moving his tooth roots. His immune system is compromised, so he has eye problems and any infection takes ages to clear. He developed sceptic arthritis in one shoulder, which was mis-diagnosed by 2 vets for 4 months until we went elsewhere. Unfortunately the joint is permanently damaged and he is on pain relief permanently for it now.

It may seem like you are doing all you can for the rabbit, but you really need to consider if you are doing it for the rabbit or yourself. If they survive, they may spend the rest of their life with lots of problems. Given the choice now, I would probably opt for euthanasia. Our bun lives indoors and is great fun to be with, but I do sometimes wonder if we did him any favours, as he has monthly dentals and eye flushes and we are always worrying about his shoulder.

Colin

How awful that you lost so many bunnies...

yes, rabbits that survive full blown mxyi are most likely to be left with long term problems, most commonly some form of brain damage and a permanently compromised immune system. I guess you have to judge each case on it's own merits.

ok although I didn't mention that she had full blown Myxi. She has nodular myxi and the vet thinks a mild case and she was vaccinated.

So pleased to hear that your bunny is well :)

Just to let you know that my two that developed nodular myxi are fully recovered and i havnt noticed any long term health problems. Polo had it the worst and it really was touch and go, she was very very poorly. I believe the key is to keep them interested in food. Now.... they are complete nutters!! You wouldnt think they were ever ill and shown no signs at all. All their scars have completely healed!! No other health problems at present. :D

Rosie is doing well and is now joined by Audrey in the hutch inside. She has fully recovered accept for an ulcer in one eye which has been considerably reduced in size to a small spec. This shrunk within the last couple of days ever since I stopped giving her the eye-drops over the Christmas/New Year period.

Back