• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My old bunnies

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
So its the year 2000 and I adopted a beautiful bunny 2 years old who I named Bloomer. She wasn't spayed and was pregnant with 8 babies. It was unclear exactly what breed she was because she was mixed, I'd say a combination of American blue/Dutch/Rex. She was a big bunny but not as big as a Flemish bunny. I still have an old photo of her somewhere I wish I still had more photos of her.

Looking back now I was so lucky because Bloomer was a very special bunny who I would never forget, despite that she was never vaccinated or spayed she lived a long happy life. She did see a vet a couple of times throughout her life. This was before the days when everybody had the internet in there homes so people learned from experience and from books back then. I remember when Bloomer gave birth to her litter. She was in a wooden rabbit hutch in the kitchen "more like a room with a kitchen sink" It must have been around 1AM and I layed awake waiting for morning. I didn't want to disturb her so I left her alone. By morning I checked on her litter although her nest just looked like straw with fur on top that she took from her belly. There was one baby out of the nest by her food bowl which was still moving so when Bloomer had her back turned I got some tissue and picked up the baby and placed it in her nesting area.

She gave birth to some beautiful bunnies, she had two dutch babies that looked nothing like the mother and the rest were black, plus an interesting what looked to be an American Blue. I remember wanting to keep all of these bunnies but I was told I had to get rid of them all which was heart breaking but I managed to hang on to two of the babies as well as the mother.

It was very hard to sell the babies especially with no internet. Back then you'd literally have to ask people you knew who would then ask others who they knew as well as putting ad's in shop windows. I had a few people who viewed the bunnies and I got a few offers for Bloomer but she was not for sale and would never be for sale. The babies were impossible to sell so I tried giving them away in the hopes they would have good homes eventually they all got re-homed and the RSPCA took a couple.I kept the dutch baby who was also female plus one of her other babies which was later re-homed after a year and a bit so that left me with Beebie and Bloomer who become my forever pets.

All three had a good bond although there were some odd fights between the two baby bunnies every now and again, one was housed by herself because the other two bunnies kept nibbling around her eyes. I named the Dutch female Beebie and the other wasn't named. Beebie looked a lot like Lacey my current bunny except she was bigger and grey with white markings but had the same body shape and head shape.

I had Beebie and Bloomer for many years. When I adopted Bloomer nobody knew her exact age. She was a pregnant bunny who got dumped at the local city farm in a box. There guess was that she was around two maybe 3 years old. I got her in January 2000 and she lived for 12 years. For an unspayed unvaccinated bunny I would say thats pretty good. Beebie also lived a long life.

I forgot to mention I found a Flemish giant bunny wondering a railway line in Surrey one day and I got over a barbed wire fence to rescue her and a nice lady who was one of the onlookers gave me a box to put her in who lived nearby. Unfortunately Bloomer did not like her and neither did Beebie. so she was kept on her own.

Looking back I think I was very lucky and had it easy with those bunnies.

I did rescue another bunny before Bloomer but he didn't stay with me long.

Last edited:
Aww that's a nice story, Bloomer sounded lovely, and that sounds like a quite a rescue from the railway line !

Wow this is a very impressive story. Every rabbit has a story and I'm so glad you gave them a nice home :love:

Back