• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My little gorgeous Sweep has had to be PTS today

Pandora1

Warren Scout
Hi all

Just to update you ( I have previous threads on Sweeps ear infection and dental). My lovely boy at the age of 10 has had to be PTS today. He has had an ear infection since April, which was problematical. He had a dental in June and after only 5 weeks was showing signs of not eating again. The tooth had dropped out and his opposing tooth was starting to overgrow. However in the last 2 - 3 days he has been turning round in circles, not really knowing where he is (he has cataracts also) also he had been eye flickering, which I thought was scanning. The vet said that the ear infection has caused some neurological damage and it would get worse as he would lose his balance and feel sick without being able to be sick.

We didn't want to put him through another dental with all his other problems and had to let him go. It is such a hard decision to make but we know that it is the right one for him. We are so upset and will miss him so much. He had a partner who is younger by a couple of years so she will be inside with us and I will keep an eye on her.

Pandora

I think you made the right decision, putting Sweep's needs before your own. That is a selfless act of love

RIP Sweep xx

I am so very sorry :cry:

You did absolutly the right thing - but I know that won't help the hurt you must be feeling right now. Mega hugs to you.

Binky free Sweep.

So sorry you've had to make such a hard decision, but you have done the right thing x
RIP Sweep

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your friend. I know only too well how hard this is. You have done the right thing, and put his needs before your own.
Binky free little Sweep xxx

So sorry for your loss.
Rabbits don't often make 10 without an awful lot of love and care! Take care and noserubs to Sweeps partner. Xx

Sleep tight angel.

It is the hardest decision ever to make, but the ultimate sign of true love

Thank you so much for all your replies, it is very much appreciated. I know you all understand how it must feel. It is heartbreaking and I feel so sorry for Poppy. What can I do to help her, she is inside with us, I cant bear leaving her outside on her own.

Pandora

How sad :cry: binky free Sweep.

Extra TLC for Poppy will help I'm sure. Maybe a teddy bear to cuddle up to at night unless she will chew/rip it?

Back