• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My heart is breaking

Late to this, but I would also ask for an x-ray if the blood glucose is still high and there is no sign of poo and of course definitely before any decision about surgery is made. The fact she is grooming is a good sign though. Sending her loads of vibes.

Your vet seems to be on top of things. The fact that she seems more comfortable and acting more normally is good news.

Just for info:

BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS

Figures from Frances Harcourt Brown

Blood glucose in mmol/l

4-8 normal

8-14 possible gut stasis, may be stress induced

15 watch and repeat in 1 hour

15+ - 20 Needs treatment

20+ probable surgical case

Blood glucose readings are not a stand alone diagnostic tool, abdominal palpation and auscultation and abdominal Xrays are also necessary.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22659922/
https://veterinary-practice.com/article/working-together-on-gut-stasis

Your vet seems to be on top of things. The fact that she seems more comfortable and acting more normally is good news.

Just for info:

BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS

Figures from Frances Harcourt Brown

Blood glucose in mmol/l

4-8 normal

8-14 possible gut stasis, may be stress induced

15 watch and repeat in 1 hour

15+ - 20 Needs treatment

20+ probable surgical case

Blood glucose readings are not a stand alone diagnostic tool, abdominal palpation and auscultation and abdominal Xrays are also necessary.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22659922/
https://veterinary-practice.com/article/working-together-on-gut-stasis

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I will keep you up to date as to what happens.

Thank you Shimmer for the information. I’m not going to call yet just because I did not long since and as much as I want to, I know that they have work to do and so far they have been great @ communicating with me. However I’ve copied what you’ve sent and going to ask them in the next few hours for all the information. They know money is no obstacle and I’ve told them if for whatever reason they can contact me, to do X-rays and take her into surgery if that’s what they deem right.

I only wish I lived near a rabbit savvy vet but I can only do what I can. She’s @ Minster Vets in York which I feel like I’ve heard people say is okay on here before but that might just be wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope you get some good news soon.

One of the most frustrating things about being a rabbit owner is the difficulty in getting hold of a rabbit savvy vet. Particularly at the weekend, which always seems to be the time when rabbits decide to get sick!

However it does sound as though your vet is keeping a very close eye on Ivy and she is getting a lot of hands on care, which will give her the best chance of getting through this.

Surgery for a GI blockage is very risky, so I would want to know there was no other option besides PTS at that point.
X-rays normally need sedation, and they may feel that is also a risk at the moment. If the bloat goes down and she starts pooing, it may not be needed.

It can take a week or more to be fully over an episode of stasis - so one step at a time, and I hope she is home soon so you can contnue her care. There comes a point when some rabbits are better off at home, in a familiar environment and their partner bunny - but she needs to be stable and manageable by you at that point, and she's too poorly right now.

Really sorry to hear about Ivy, but good news that she seems in less discomfort now. Sending loads of vibes for your girlie that she may start pooping soon xx

Sending all the vibes for Ivy, stasis can be such a scary time, I really hope she picks up and starts eating and passing poos soon.

She is brighter and is eating on her own, the bloating has diminished -

they actually said they’ve never felt a rabbit with such a bad stomach and I just feel so damn awful. If I’d have noticed sooner but I just thought I’d upset their routine and spooked her with the banging to break into the room…

But things are brighter. No poop. But she is doing a little better and they feel much less on edge at the vets.

More vibes for Ivy - it sounds as though things are going in the right direction (said in a whisper as I don't want to jinx).

they actually said they’ve never felt a rabbit with such a bad stomach and I just feel so damn awful. If I’d have noticed sooner but I just thought I’d upset their routine and spooked her with the banging to break into the room…

But things are brighter. No poop. But she is doing a little better and they feel much less on edge at the vets.

I think guilt is normal, as a care-giver, but not justified in this case. The fact she is bright and eating sounds really promising.

I think I too have heard Minster Vets is bunny savvy. With most practices there is a bit of a luck-of-the-draw as to out of hours duty vets. I go into blind panic if I have to deal with a vet I don't know (sometimes ones I do know!) When it's out of hours.

Hoping you get news of poops very soon.

Last edited:

good update. loads more vibes

We have two poops. It may only be two, but that’s more than none and fingers crossed we will keep going. She’s been eating some dandelions and has been having a munch on some forage that I brought with her so…please let this be okay. [emoji1696]

You did good to get her an emergency admission which seems to be helping. Her eating and starting to poo are good signs. It can take time for a full recovery. Sending lots of positive vives.

Great news on the poops, really hope Ivy had a good night, and feeling much better this morning xx

Great positive update. I hope ivy continues to improve steadily and I hope that you also feel a bit better.
Sending continued vibes for ivys improvement. Xx

Guess who I’m going to pick up! [emoji3059]

Lots of munching on all things and pooping. Oh my soul. We will be going home with medicines so we aren’t completely out of woods but I feel some relief.

Guess who I’m going to pick up! [emoji3059]

Lots of munching on all things and pooping. Oh my soul. We will be going home with medicines so we aren’t completely out of woods but I feel some relief.

I am so pleased, brilliant update :love:

Back